Help me out with a PCI card (shoulnt be too hard.)

anton

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2001
Hello folks

I think this problem of mine can be quite easy to solve somehow to those pro people in here, or maybe I just feel like it..

Anyway, I bought following DSL network adapter :
A-Link : Roadrunner 10 PCI (for ADSL)

So as the name implies, its just hooked up in free PCI slot and the phone cable wired in the back. All works fine for me until some program or game sometimes causes hangup in system. After I restart from power button (since nothing else wont work since system halt), the following shows up :
"Windows protection error. Please restart your system"

after that, when I restart, *puff* the whole card cannot be found anymore by Windows98. Its like it even never existed. So only way I can get it back working is to open up my computer and change the PCI slot! I have done this about 7 times during these last 2 weeks now, getting kind of angry about the problem allready.

Friend told me about windows miniports and the registry refreshing, I didnt get it...

Any helps, please?
-Anton

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
do the system hangups happen without the card? If so have you tried to fix that problem first?

Also, when you say 98 "can't find it" does the entry exist in device manager but it just has a red or yellow exclamation point? Or the entry exists and it looks normal but it doesn't work? If so, have you deleted the card from device manager and then tried to "find new hardware"?

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Do you have some other things in PCI slots? Sounds like it's conflicting with something, you said when your playing games? Maybe video or sound.

G

yup, sounds like a device conflict somewhere.
No one can really answer that question without some more input. Try moving your NIC to another PCI slot. If it's an IRQ problem try moving it to IRQ3 since that's usually the PCI slot that doesn't share resources as much (depending on the motherboard company).

Double check your manual. Some PCI slots share IRQs with other PCI slots, onboard chips etc.

Also double chack your PnP set-up for any disabled stuff which may seem applicable.

:cool: <b><font color=blue>The Cisco Kid</font color=blue></b> :cool: