Could be Windows 7 fault?

Nattefrost

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
Recently after I installed windows 7 x64 build xxxx sometimes when i play a game my monitor turn black acting like he enter in stand by (green led turns to yellow) and the computer crush. When this error happens also the PC make a strange noise for 2-3 seconds. After that and during the sound all freeze :| Restarting the computer won't bring up the monitor. I need to unplug it from Power and reconnect it after 4-5 second and start the PC. doing so the PC turns on normally. Dunno what could generate that error, it's really ennoying.

Yes, i notice this after installed windows 7 x64 so i believe it's his fault? using XP SP3 x86 i didn't encounter this error.. but i installed 4 gigs more of DDR2 (6Gigs) and i need to change to x64 :( liked Windows 7 and i don't want to go back to XP, can someone help fix my error?

The error appears randomly ... i played 2-3 days bionic commando until i finish it and the error didn't appear even once, today i installed Wolfenstein played like 1 hour nothing happened, I saved and exit did some stuff around the house and when i entered again the game played like 30 minutes BOOF the error appears.. :(

Thanks, Alex.

This happened only in games like Damnation, Silverfall, Titan's Quest, Wolfenstein, maybe more i didn't play. When i surf the internet writting a document, playing warcraft 3 never happened.. maybe this intel helps too.. thanks

Nattefrost

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
Although this probably wouldn't be a problem with XP I agree with Zoron.

Also, it's an RC, people like you that post problems like this should be banned. That's just plain idiotic to be posting problems with an RC.

Go back to XP or deal with the RC issues.

Your making Windows 7 look bad...

i disagree, people like you should get banned for being arrogant and rash, not all of us are born with all the knowledge of the IT.. it's a large domain so now and then we need each others help, so shut up mister arrogant smart azz.

Nattefrost

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008

hello and thanks for the quick answer, i had before 2 gigs of ddr800 corsair XMS2 CM2X1024-6400 x2 and added 2x corsair XMS2 CM2X2048-6400C5

could that be a incompatibility problem? i will try removing the 4 gigs and play the game for a couple of days see if the problem resolve, but i doubt it.. memtest said it is nothing with the ram :p

Bullheaded67

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
If the memory doesn't turn out to be the issue I am leaning towards a power supply issue or possibly a failing motherboard. I would verify that you have your chipset drivers loaded correctly as well.

Nattefrost

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
ok, i reinstalled windows 7 build 7600 x64, the problem persist... i'll go back to xp, my experience with windows 7 was very bad ... i'll never use it again ..

thanks to all lads for trying to help!

Don't go back to XP... that's what Habitat would want you to do. Make sure all drivers and software are up to date. It probably wouldn't hurt to update the BIOS while you're at it.

Did you check to ensure that your RAM settings in BIOS match the manufacturer's specs? (Voltage, timing, etc)... it's really important that you get enough voltage, especially after adding more RAM. This isn't something that memtest will necessarily reveal. Mixing different types of RAM isn't a good practice either... you should ensure that all banks are filled with identical sticks.

Nattefrost

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
what it's strange is that the crush doesn't generate no memory.dmp or minidump ...i only encounter the error in My computer-> Manage -> Event Viewer

"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

Log Name: System
Source: Kernel-Power
Event ID: 41
Level: Critical
User: SYSTEM

someone told me Kernel it's bad in windows 7 so i shall wait retail version .. :(

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Are you using some sort of file protection ?

I had this happen to all my games until I figured out that my system was crashing due to my use of Comodo firewall, once I turned off the file protection feature (just wanted the firewall out of it anyway) my games worked fine again :)

Edit: The one game that worked fine before I found out what was going on was FarCry 2..... Probably caused me to take a day longer to figure out due to that game working just fine.