xclusivex

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2003
What are the main differences between OEM and RETAIL besides about 60 bux. I know OEM doesnt come with games, but i dont play the games they package anyway. Is there a difference in performance at all?

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
For videocards, there is no difference with the exception of the Radeon 8500.

Oem's have no box and usually come with just the drivers on a CD. Most of the time they'll have all the cables, dongles, included, but sometimes these are missing as well.

The OEM Radeon 8500 is clocked lower than the retail version.

I've also heard rumors of OEM cards using slower RAM, but this is mostly limited to the Radeon 8500 LE.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Sometimes they don't include handy things like a DVI to VGA adapter, allong with the stuff the last guy said.

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>

leeanator

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2002
I also believe that the ammount of warenty that you get is limited. I know with the New AMD processors that if you buy OEM it is a 30 Day warenty and if you buy retail it is 3 years.

I believe it is also like this for most other stuff too

PCMCIA Really stands for (People Can't Memorize Computer Industry Acronyms) :) :)

jankphil

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
i believe it's a 1 year warrenty on OEM chips, and 3 years on the boxed, at least that's what i was told when i returned my athlon 700 to amd....

"What kind of idiot are you?"
"I don't know, what kinds are there?"