KVM switch vs VNC?

Can I basically use VNC and accomplish the same thing
as buying and using a KVM switch?
4 answers Last reply
More about switch

    <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > Can I basically use VNC and accomplish the same thing
    > as buying and using a KVM switch?

    Well, similar. Thoughts that occur to me:
    - Using VNC requires you to have both PCs powered up.
    - You couldn't see the BIOS setup screen or anything like that with VNC
    - I'm not sure how games work through VNC, the virtual screen response might
    not be quick enough.

    On the other hand, some people seem to have problems with KVMs, in terms of
    funny responses by the mouse when switching systems, esp. if you have any
    kind of non-standard mouse, and other odd things of a similar nature. Many
    other people seem quite happy though.

    John

    "John Fryatt" <jrf1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    >> Can I basically use VNC and accomplish the same thing
    >> as buying and using a KVM switch?
    >
    > Well, similar. Thoughts that occur to me:
    > - Using VNC requires you to have both PCs powered up.
    > - You couldn't see the BIOS setup screen or anything like that with VNC
    > - I'm not sure how games work through VNC, the virtual screen response
    > might
    > not be quick enough.
    >
    > On the other hand, some people seem to have problems with KVMs, in terms
    > of
    > funny responses by the mouse when switching systems, esp. if you have any
    > kind of non-standard mouse, and other odd things of a similar nature. Many
    > other people seem quite happy though.

    I use a combo of both KVMs and Remote Desktop. I have had mouse and
    keyboard issues with Belkin KVMs that are daisy chained when switching from
    bank to bank. This is with a standard MS mouse and making sure the same
    driver is installed on every PC. However, I've never had issues with the
    PCs all on the same KVM.

    Remote Desktop is fabulous especially when you want to see more then on PC
    at the same time. It also makes switching between multiple PCs as simple as
    clicking on a window.

    --

    Rob

    >Well, similar. Thoughts that occur to me:
    >- Using VNC requires you to have both PCs powered up.
    >- You couldn't see the BIOS setup screen or anything like that with VNC
    >- I'm not sure how games work through VNC, the virtual screen response might
    >not be quick enough.

    Thanks John!!

    Good info!

    "Robert R Kircher, Jr." <rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote in

    > I use a combo of both KVMs and Remote Desktop.

    Oneupmanship: I'm using a KVM, RDP and Virtual PC. And it is soooo
    easy to get lost I've resorted to using BGinfo to give me a clue what
    I'm controlling :-)

Dell Switch KVM Computers