3DFVidia?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hmm, I don't have a lot of faith in <A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=7615" target="_new">This "News"</A>, but it did remind me of the VooDoo 5 5500 that was also considered too hot, too large, and too expensive for most computers...production was halted just before final release...and then the company died!

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Me sar think NV has a secret weapon (or at least I hope, cause if that's true and they don't, shiat). Well I suppose profits will still keep going w/ the GF4's being midline, but it'd leave us crazy comp nerds w/o a real performer. Hmm. That'd be sick marketting from them though if they pulled off what u proposed they may have done. Hey, do u think that Gainward 7db card may be a revised version? Or is it just cooling air.....

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti

OzzieBloke

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2001
nVidious ain't goin' nowhere jus' yet. They's be havin' a whole pile o' dough, an' thassa gonna hold em' thru till's they getsum their act outta that famous creek that done steal yer paddle all time...

Dunno why I felt like typing it like that...

-

I plugged my ram into my motherboard, but unplugged it when I smelled cooked mutton.

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
from what ive read the Gainward card is underclocked (800mhz memory). this will probably kill its small performance lead

and yeah ive heard this comparison of Nvidia to 3DFx. its humerous, but in my opinion theres a big difference between the 2 companies.

3dfx wasn't as old or huge as nvidia was, thats prolly why they crashed and burned. NV prolly has enuff resources to pick up the pieces and re-evaluate how much of a threat ATI is (which they obviously underestimated.

besides. NV still has those nice TI4200 cards. not a bad deal really, and they still havent lost their name totally (with computer sales companies at least =D). I highly doubt this will be the last we see of nvidia

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
It has a fully clocked (and more expensive) version as well. If this seriously was some clever trick to make Ati release their products ahead of time and then catch them when they can't produce, I'll view NV in a high light.

- Mario Andretti

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
They are planning NV31 without full DX9 support, just like GF4 MX series. I don't know why we will buy NV31 instead of R9500 Pro, since it does't have full DX9 support

<b> "You can put lipstick on a pig, but hey, it's still a pig!" - RobD </b>

Helpmostimes

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2001
One thing to think of..A voodoo 5500 will kick all in Full Glide.But we all know where Glide went out with.
My Glide Based Games Just dont look or Play the same on a Nvidia Card.They just play faster.But at a price( Graphics).Oh Well!! Nvidia got a real good Chipset From 3dfx.And did nothing with it.

"Ok.. you can bash me now"

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, I heard the the military got some for flight trainers too. I saw one on eBay a year or so ago, it fetched a couple grand.

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>

dhlucke

Polypheme
You see....when a man loves a videocard very very much, they get real close to each other and.....

Actually, now that the FX sucks and there looks like no hope for it, Flamethrower is tossing out conspiracy theories in hopes that everything is going to be peachy for Nvidia.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">Introducing the NVIDIA GeForceFX: The first Videocard designed exclusively for deaf people!</A></font color=red>

dhlucke

Polypheme
"I believe I can fly! I believe I can touch the sky. Every night and every day, I spread my wings and I fly away"

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">Introducing the NVIDIA GeForceFX: The first Videocard designed exclusively for deaf people!</A></font color=red>

vegandago

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2002
hey flame, a company of Nvidia's stature doesn't pull lame stunts like that. Do you think they'd honestly be willing to risk all of the horrible publicity that the FX is bringing if it weren't for real???

I'm not saying that it isn't possible that Nvidia could do something crazy, ofcourse anything is possible. I just wouldn't bet my 9700pro on it ;)

"There is no dark or light side, only power and those too weak to seek it."

dhlucke

Polypheme
I think it would be better for all of us if this failure motivates them to get things right next time.

<font color=red>

vegandago

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2002
I absolutely agree dhlucke... I don't wanna see Nvidia go down. I hope they come back and rock the house.

competition is always good. but man, canada rocks.

"There is no dark or light side, only power and those too weak to seek it."

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Man, I was speaking w/ this canadian dude over some camera parts today and trasmitters. Dude tries to sell me stuff for that over 2x the price (and that's in USD, i ain't making a mistake and think Cad money is us)

- Mario Andretti