Sign in with
Your question

Advice for card selection

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 6, 2003 4:31:50 PM

Ok, I need a good card for my system which is built around the A7N8X deluxe board. Being a 3D game fanatic, I need something that will handle UT2003 and possibly Doom 3 (if/when it comes out). Also, there is the chance that I might have Linux running on this system as well (since there are more and more games coming out for Linux). Although I am kind of reluctant, I am thinking about waving off the possibility of purchasing any ATI products since their Linux drivers plain suck. I am currently eyeing up the Chaintech Ti4200 AGP8x 128M which is selling for around $240 (Canadian). Any thoughts? Should I just say "screw it" and buy something from ATI?

More about : advice card selection

February 6, 2003 4:37:38 PM

say 'screw it' and get a radeon 9500 pro

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]
February 6, 2003 4:55:02 PM

Bite the bullet and go with ATI. The 4200 isn't that great and is definitely not going to run doom3 the way you want it to unless they really optimize that game.

If you want to be sneaky, buy the ATI card locally and return it if you don't like it.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">Introducing the NVIDIA GeForceFX: The first Videocard designed exclusively for deaf people!</A></font color=red>
Related resources
February 6, 2003 5:00:43 PM

Okay, the 9500 Pro is around $25 more than the card I was looking at. Also it doesn't give that much more of a performance increase. And on top of that, my 3D rendering with Linux will look like [-peep-] (although it will probably perform very well in terms of fps). But I'm still leaning towards the Ti4200 AGP8X 128M.
February 6, 2003 5:40:44 PM

What benchmarks are you looking at? A 9500 Pro is competative with a 4600. Look at AA and AF benchmarks. That's where it shines.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">Introducing the NVIDIA GeForceFX: The first Videocard designed exclusively for deaf people!</A></font color=red>
February 6, 2003 11:49:41 PM

Radeon 9500 Pro all the way

<b> "You can put lipstick on a pig, but hey, it's still a pig!" - RobD </b>
February 7, 2003 2:51:17 AM

9500 pro might be slightly more expensive, but like i said with the 9700 non pro in another board, you can flash the bios and over clock the card and get 9700 pro speeds out of it.. plus the new drivers give a 20% increase in cards performance.. cheers!
February 7, 2003 12:30:25 PM

I think I'll start pricing out a Radeon 9500 (non pro). Does anyone know if there is a hacked set of Linux drivers that will perform the same enhancements? I know that the hardware mod will work on any OS, but I'm not the man to attempt it.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by icecanuck on 02/07/03 12:30 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
!