9500 non-pro..can be fast??

Toester

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2002
i may be a bit late on this, but i've heard that a 9500 non-pro vid card can be altered as to be able to unlock the last 4 pipelines. this would make it as fast as the 9700 pro?, but only $250.00 (can.)as apposed to the $600.00 (9700 pro), is this true.....and if so, how long before ati pulls these cards? heard that the sapphire 9500 non- pro is one of these cards.(if you get a lucky one....that is)

<font color=purple> We can't all be heros,someone has to stand on the sidewalk and clap!!

10GHZ

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
i think all the 128mb Sapphire Radeon 9500 can be mod to 9700. you need to do a bit of soldering to the chip itself and a bios flash.

G

Man, i really wish you guys would read other threads, theres a 4 page thread on this on 3dchip overclocking, but i'll give you the information.

First off 10ghz, sorry but no soldering is nessecary. All you have to do is download 3rd party drivers and presto chango. Second off it does not make your video card a radeon 9700 pro, it makes it a 9700 non-pro, which can easily be overclocked to 9700 pro clock rates making it as fast and some cases faster than a 9700 pro. Also, contrary to popular belief this is NOT overclocking, and puts the hardware at no danger. All nonpro 9500's with 128mb of ram work. I have a saphire 9500 and am going to do this modification myself. The only thing I've ever heard is some people get "checkerboarding" or artifacts in some games. Some people have said it can be fixed by disabling certain things and some people just lower the clock rate a little and you still get a tremendous gain in performance. I recommend the mod myself, and think its an excellent idea, and some people see it as too good to be true and immediately make up stuff like "its overclocking" or "it needs to be soldered" and stuff like that.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Actually the solder thing wasn't made up: it's necessary to change a resistor to make the 9700 BIOS work. This mod predates the hacked driver by a few days and is the one most people remember.

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>

10GHZ

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
serious? so are you saying all i need to do is install a different(magic) driver, and the 9500 128mb will be turned into a 9700? and no soldering or bios flash required? can i get a link for the driver also? thanx

Kronos

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2001
It seems some of the new 9500s use a different fiber board that makes the hack impossible. At least according to some posts at newegg.com. Wondered when they would get around to a "cure".

I want to die like my Grandfather...in my sleep...not screaming in terror like his passengers.