Hey all. I'm looking to get a replacement laptop with my tax return early next year.. My old laptop, a centrino core2duo gaming laptop had a heat sink failure. Even before then the 9800 GTS-M in it was horridly hot. I'm currently using a 2005 90nm HP 17" with an AMD Turion 64 1.8 GHz and 1.2 GB of ram. It stuggles even with this message board, nevermind anything fancier. I'm looking for portability and the ability to play MMO games:
1. What is your budget?
$400-600. exact amount will depend on the tax return value.
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
14" - 16".. will consider a good deal on a 17"
3. What screen resolution do you want?
1366x 768 to 1600x900 in a 14.1 to 15.6" screen
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable, but game capable. I have a solid desktop.
5. How much battery life do you need?
4-6 hours would be nice.
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
yes. Mostly MMO-style (CoX, World of Tanks, Star Wars), and RPGs like Fallout, Dragon Age, and 4X games like Civ II/IV/V. Usually at medium/default settings with no antialiasing. Super high quality is for the desktop...this is just for playability.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Just web browsing, word processing, and other basic tasks.
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
500GB would be nice, but I'm flexible on this.
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
anywhere I can get a good deal.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD is all I need.
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I've had good luck in the past with HP and Acer, but any good brand with a good rep and low price is fine.
13. What country do you live in?
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I've thought about a Llano-based build, like some of the a4-3400 with HD6480 that run about $350, but don't know if that will be enough for my gaming needs. The primary purpose will be running games away from home, but it just needs to be playable. I would prefer a true quad core, but will take a dual core if budget restraints require it