I am planning on purchasing a laptop within the next 30 days. Most of the activity on the laptop will be gaming. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated very much.
1. What is your budget?
I’d like to keep it under $1,500.
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
14” – 17”
3. What screen resolution do you want?
1600x900 preferred, not a deal-breaker if lower.
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
5. How much battery life do you need?
Not much, will have power 99% of the time I’m using it.
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Current or recent games: Eve, Deus Ex: HR, Football Manager 11, Witcher 2. Would be great to play Skyrim on high (not ultra super high, just high).
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Basic laptop activities – internet, some work in MS Office, etc. Mainly going to use it for gaming.
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
1TB would be great.
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Looked at a bunch of sites, no front-runners at the moment.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
2-3 years as a primary machine.
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Don’t really “need” any of them except for basic functionality. I don’t watch movies on it, and my wife handles all of the media stuff like burning DVDs on her machine.
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Poor experience with multiple laptops from HP, so would prefer to avoid them. All others open.
13. What country do you live in?
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Received ASUS G74SX from Best Buy as a gift in August 2011. I liked it overall, and played all the games I wanted without any problems, but it had a few quirks. It was stolen a few days ago, so now I have an opportunity to get whatever I want to replace it. Just trying to look at all my options.
Since you're looking for "Desktop Replacement", the added portability may not be worth the trade-off in gaming power. But... if you're serious about looking down to the 14" size, checkout the Alienware M14X. It can do the 1600x900 screen, but with a weaker video card than you had with your ASUS G74.