Sign in with
Your question

Crashed Drivers in WinXP Professional

Tags:
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
April 7, 2003 6:45:02 AM

Hi all, I am using Windows XP Professional Edition (no SP1) in my desktop. I went to MS Windows Update website to download the new patches. After that, the OS can't recognize my DVD-ROM, CD-R and also my sound card. The reason is driver crashed (Code:38). I have tried to login by using Windows ME, all ROMs and card are normal. My DVD-ROM & CD-R are both Panasonic products. I can't find any drivers for them. Anyone can suggest me what can I do? I don't want to re-install the XP again.

More about : crashed drivers winxp professional

April 7, 2003 9:15:27 AM

I would either try driver rollback or system restore.

<font color=red>GOD</font color=red> <font color=blue>BLESS</font color=blue> <font color=red>AMERICA</font color=red>
April 8, 2003 3:02:21 AM

Driver rollback ? I have tried this, but failed. Really no solution other than restore the OS?
Related resources
April 8, 2003 4:22:22 AM

No, I meant system restore. If you had system restore on you can go back to a restore point where the computer was working. It really depends on whether you had system restore on and which points you had saved.

It's under system tools in the start menu.

<font color=red>GOD</font color=red> <font color=blue>BLESS</font color=blue> <font color=red>AMERICA</font color=red>
April 8, 2003 6:24:32 AM

Thanks a lot, I can find the function "system restore" in the tools menu. I will try it later and post the result here. Thank you very much.
April 9, 2003 7:28:32 AM

I tried "System Restore" yesterday. It failed even I have tried all the previous days. Any other suggestions? Is it possible for me to delete all the drivers in Win XP to let it detect again after reboot? (my problem is definitely driver crashed with code:39)
April 9, 2003 12:05:39 PM

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still in memory. (Code 38)
The driver could not be loaded because a previous instance is still loaded.

Restart the computer.

On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooting wizard.

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)
Reasons for this error include a driver that is not present; a binary file that is corrupt; a file I/O problem, or a driver that references an entry point in another binary file that could not be loaded.

Uninstall the driver, and then click Scan for hardware changes to reinstall or upgrade the driver.

On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooting wizard.

When you feel that reality does not suit you, live a fantasy life.
April 10, 2003 8:29:07 AM

Uninstall the driver? I have tried to uninstall the DVD-ROM, CD-R and sound card, and then reboot. But after auto detection, same problems for the above devices. Is it possible to delete all the drivers including IDE related to let XP detect them automatically again?
April 10, 2003 1:24:20 PM

What do you mean you tried to log in by using WinMe, do you have a dual boot? This is weird, I don’t know why that happened. Have you tried updating again, maybe it will find drivers for you? Maybe that is the problem, where the update installed drivers that caused this mess. Have you went into the BIOS and made sure your DVD and CD-R were detected correctly?

When you go into the device manager do you see any markings near the device (!) (X).

If there by the sound, I would think you should be able to reinstall the driver, but don’t let windows install them automatically, and point to the driver. It’s better to down load the most current driver from the cards web sight. And from there either it will be self installing, or maybe you will have to extract it and point to it when you update the driver. I would think that would work for the sound, not sure how the other devices will do, unless they have a driver on the web too. Are there two drivers by the device, if so delete one or both and reinstall. Try to get at least one device working, make sure your cables and pins are correct, and even try disconnecting one of them, like the slave.

When you feel that reality does not suit you, live a fantasy life.
April 11, 2003 6:10:07 AM

I have tried to log in by using WinMe because I have a dual boot. All ROMs and cards are working well in WinMe. That means it's not a hardware problem. I have also tried updating again, and no new update came as a result. In my BIOS, the DVD and CD-R were detected correctly.

I see (!) near the devices
!