Vista or 7

ricky_critic

Distinguished
May 27, 2010

I am using WIndows 7 from last 5 months. It is better than the Vista.
1. Peripherals are integrated in a smoother manner
2. Very much improved UAC
3. Brand new taskbar
4. Super fast performance

ja_deal

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
Windows 7. It is not as problematic (quirky) as my Vista experiences. I've also experienced using multiple screens on my 7 laptop where the system remembers which side the monitor is on depending on which location. I agree whole heartedly with Ricky_Critic

cassandraf_winteam

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
I'd say to go with Windows 7. Since it is the newest of the operating systems, you will find more discussion and support resources for Windows 7. There are also a lot of cool, new features you get with Windows 7 - Jump Lists, Snap, Homegroups.

You can set up more than one monitor with both Vista and Windows 7. Here is how to do it in Windows 7 - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/work-and-play-better-with-multiple-monitors

Hope this helps!
Cassandra
Microsoft Windows Outreach

capital_one

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010

but my graphic card website says "certified for vista"

will these graphic cards also work in windows 7 too ?

http://www.appinformatica.com/tarjetas-graficas-zotac-geforce-9600gt-1gb-ddr3-with-cuda-dvi-audio.php

10082559.jpg

capital_one

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010

what do you mean by difference ?

what kind of difference ? and how is it amazing ? please explain.

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
Solution

capital_one

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010

you could have summarized YOUR OWN EXPERIENCE about windows 7 in a few lines
instead of those links !

capital_one

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010

going by your advice

http://www.testfreaks.com/blog/information/windows-xp-vs-vista-vs-7/

Southern Hoosier says:
February 8, 2010 at 11:03 pm

So you are saying that a 32 bit system performs as well if not better than both 64 bits system? Try running the 32 bit system test again with again with only 2 gigs of memory. Excessive memory that XP32 can’t access slows it down. I have XP64 on my older system. When I built a new system I went with Win7. Win7 seem sluggish compared to XP64 and Win7 is running on a faster system. World of Warcraft runs chopper under Win7.

:lol:

Jonh Peters says:
February 14, 2010 at 8:50 am

Again and again and again, Ive tried them all in all flavors. Nothing beats XP, period, adn if what you need is 64 bit, nothing beats XP 64 bit either period. I could care less about galss windows borders and gigs of bloated code that does nothing but slows down everything. Windows 7 is no more than Vista with a Plus pack. Its unbearable, it looks corny, unbearably slow as hell, I cant do anything basic properly (try navigatinf thorugh the explorer or finding files just for staters). You want I candy done with good taste? Get a Mac with OSX, thats for sure. You want performance and the best and most mature product ever to come out of Microsoft;s hands, then, thats XP. Everything else is useless talk though, indeed whatever works best for you

kunal says:
March 3, 2010 at 4:30 am

i have tried both vista and windows 7 and none of them can ever come close to the windows xp experience. it uses less resource and is a lot more efficient as compared to windows 7/vista.

Nat says:
June 2, 2010 at 3:32 am

I would like to try 7, but I cannot upgrade from XP. Since we all passed on Vista and I have a load of programs installed what am I supposed to do. I don’t feel like installing them all over again knowing some of them won’t work. I guess I am stuck on XP until I need something that needs 7, which is only the SSD TRIM function right now. Not enough to force me into 7. Microsoft must have known they are on a loser not providing an upgrade path from XP to 7.

:ouch:

going by your advice

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/reviews/windows_7_review

nVidia, not Windows

Submitted by flammewerfer on Mon, 03/08/2010 - 7:09pm

After 5 minutes of Google searching I found a potential answer to your problem, along with the guy below. I won't know for sure unless you post back with your system specs, but I have a suspicion that you're running an nVidia card. nVidia hasn't released good drivers for Windows 7 yet.

:ouch: :ouch:

Here's a summary for you...

Submitted by Lhot on Thu, 02/11/2010 - 2:00am

I have three comps...one has a pentium proc and 96mb ram (HP Vectra VA), the next has an Athlon X2 2.6Ghz OC'd to 3.2Ghz w/2GB DDR2 1066 RAM, The third, has a Phenom II X4 955 OC'd to 3.7ghz w/4GB 1066 DDR2 RAM...both the 2nd and 3rd comps run an EVGA 280GTX (one each), PC Power & Cooling 750w PSU, and 300GB Velociraptors (not RAID).

Now here are FACTS:

1. I can install and run XP on the HP Vectra...it ain't pretty or fast, but it does run (YES! even with 96MB RAM)

2. I have full retail versions of XP VISTA and WIN7...all three in 32 and 64 bit flavors.

3. I do a little of everything on my comps...aka surfing, gaming, audio / video editing and conversions, etc etc.

4. I own all most every consumer available benchmark and game benchmark available.

5. Win XP 32 bit....will simply smoke any other available OS...in any task.

6. Vista is simply cr*p...nuff said.

7. Win 7 has ABSOLUTELY nothing going for it...EXCEPT a much more up to date set of installed drivers.

8. The ONLY time I ever BSOD....and I do mean EVER....is when I'm trying to get that last 200-300Mhz by tweaking my over clock, badly.

9. Number of viruses and/or trojans in past 8 years on XP 32 bit.........ZERO !!

10. Norton Ghost 2003 is still the best backup software ever made. Incremental backups are foolish for the simple reason that any cooties you have get backed up when you're NOT paying attention to pre cleaning, like a 2AM Sunday night incremental backup.

11. My primary partition has approx. 10gb of data on it, (page file, music, pics and videos are on separate HDD.

12. With my lowly AMD proc, no RAID, and Norton Ghost 2003, I can make a complete (after cleaning) Primary partition IMAGE backup in 3 minutes....I can restore from ANY NG 2003 backup in 2.5 minutes. Try THAT on Win7 with any backup software, including Win 7's.

13. MOST people hailing the wonder that is Windows 7 are comparing it to an XP install thats probably years old.

14. MOST people don't keep their systems (w/e they are, neat, trim and clean)...they think they do...they don't!

Sure in 4-5 years, with a few Service packs, and many more 64bit apps, Win 7 may beat XP...but then MS's new flim-flam, aka Win 8 will be out. :lol: :lol:

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
everyone has a opinion, but you will find the people that used XP and went to 7, didn't go back, if you load it, you have 30 days to try it without activating it, if you don't like it go back
the reason there is no upgrade path from XP to 7 is because the core files are completely dfferent, the upgrade path is Vista to 7, it's like having and debian system and wanting to upgrade to Windows, the core files are different, so an upgrade won't work

capital_one

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010

are you sure i can return it after 30 days and get a refund ?

capital_one

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010

well anyways excluding vista 64 bit , there is actually no other option left but to go with Win 7 as far as 64 bit OS is concerned.

arcksonn

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
Hi,

For the multi screen there would be no other OS best other than windows 7 as compared to other Operating System from Microsoft. While multi-screen functioning windows 7 gives a great performance. If you are using the other operating system of Microsoft you may feel better to use the third party software. I would always go with the windows 7.

dalta centauri

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
Windows 7 is decent, but for someone like you, you would want Windows 7 Ultimate. It allows you to Virtually boot windows Xp, which is somewhat interesting. As well it allows itself to run both 64bit and 32bit programs unlike other versions of windows 7(although pro may do the same)