Sign in with
Your question

Radeon 9700 Pro; 98SE/NT/XP OS Problems?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 9, 2003 3:03:30 AM

Fixing to order the Radeon 9700 Pro to accompany my A7N8X Deluxe board, XP 1700 (until the Barton comes out), and two 256mb Corsair DDR400 PC3200 sticks, but now I'm stuck on the operating system.

I was going to install Windows 98 SE since I know it front to back, but I've heard some people say it doesn't work with the Radeon 9700 Pro. Was thinking about putting Windows 2000, but then again I've heard 2000 sucks for extensive gameplay and is business/network-based. I picked up a free copy of Windows XP Pro, but then I hate the way it looks, and some of the additional crap they threw in (like the dog in the search window, makes the OS look too family oriented.) I've also heard XP doesn't like to run some of the older games.

Well anyway, I was just curious if anyone has ever ran Windows 98SE with the card, or if anyone has any additional comments as to a good OS that will benefit from the card as well as provide incredible gameplay.

Thanks for your help and sharing your experiences.
February 9, 2003 3:10:06 AM

Dude go to XP seriously. You can make it look like 2000 if u want LOL I can even show u how to do that. Now about XP running old games no freakin way man. There is an option that XP provides that you can run games in Win 95 mode seriously and u know its just good. So I advice to take XP into your HUGE consideration. Speaking of which Win 98 SE will not be support by Microsoft in this JULY. So get ready to throw that away :) .

IT'S NICE TO BE IMPORTANT, BUT ITS MORE IMPORTANT TO BE NICE.................
February 9, 2003 3:37:48 AM

I know you can make XP look like 2000 (by changing the themes), can you also get rid of all the other crap like the dog in the search window and some other things I'd rather not mention?

I was thinking about using the XP Pro I had, I was even thinking about running a Dual OS with 98SE on the side but I just don't want to deal with the hassle. Everyday I step toward the XP, I'm just not one who likes to change operating systems (it was tough enough going from 95 to 98,lol)
Related resources
February 9, 2003 4:10:07 AM

Ok dude, yes u can shut the DAM DOG OFF loool. But is that the point? NO. THATS NOT THE POINT. The point is YOU FOR LATEST AND GREATEST. STOP LIVING IN A CAVE MAN. WIn 98 is not gonna be supported no more, u might as well GET ON WITH YOUR LIFE AND MOVE ON.

IT'S NICE TO BE IMPORTANT, BUT ITS MORE IMPORTANT TO BE NICE.................
February 9, 2003 5:20:40 AM

9700PRO have no problems at all with 98SE and running the latest games (I got both and running fine). if you didn't have problems before then it will be fine.

see if there are any post about your motherboard and the 9700PRO compability, also make sure your power supply can handle the aditional load. those are the problems I see people complaining about not the OS

<b><font color=blue>Press 1 if you want to be on hold, 2 for disconnect, 3 for a representative who will put you on hold before disconnecting.</font color=blue></b>
a b U Graphics card
February 9, 2003 6:30:21 AM

98SE should work fine with the ME drivers for your card. After all, it's not like you're running a VIA chipset or anything! And it IS fast. And it DOES use less than half the memory.

You might also consider a dual boot system for comparison's sake.

I'm running XP because the 98SE driver for my old Radeon card didn't fully support Need for Speed Hot Persuit 2. It's been a hassle with no rewards other than the ability to play one game.

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>
February 9, 2003 9:02:07 AM

Move on to XP. Everything you don't like can be changed in XP. If you can't get one of your devices to work in XP, then consier dual booting, but if they all work, leave 98 behind.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">If you were to have sex with your clone would that be considered incest or masturbation?</A></font color=red>
February 9, 2003 9:49:43 AM

XP for sure. You can switch to Classic View & it looks just like 98 if that's what you want. If you switch it to performance (I forget exactly where right now) it will use very little overhead & all the eye candy will be gone & look like 98 as well.

I've been running XP Pro since 2 months before release & it's just about the best OS I've ran. I wouldn't run anything else, that is until the next OS comes out. My $.02

I'm still learning & having fun doing it!! Trouble comes with the things you forget or overlook along the way that make it not so fun!!
February 9, 2003 9:56:00 AM

Yeah, I've been using it since about a month before release and wouldn't go back.

So far I've installed it on 5 computers. 2 other computers didn't have driver support so I had to stay with 98se. They were pretty old though or had back luck with a manufacturer that refused to support XP (canon being one).

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">If you were to have sex with your clone would that be considered incest or masturbation?</A></font color=red>
February 9, 2003 10:30:23 AM

Your exactly right. I lost a Canon Multi Pass 5500 (I believe) with XP. It took them a hell of a long time to put out a hacked driver for the printer. When I finally did get it, man it seem like 6 months or more (seems like) the printer head froze up on it. I've never been able to find or figure out how to fix the frozen printer head. So I went w/o a printer until this Xmas. Got the Canon i850 Photo Printer on USB 2.0 & love it. However it still pisses me off about the driver thing with Canon & XP. I'd like to fix the old printer sitting in the basement, but can't figure out how.

Lessons learned I chalked it up to.

I'm still learning & having fun doing it!! Trouble comes with the things you forget or overlook along the way that make it not so fun!!
February 9, 2003 6:35:10 PM

Thanks for the different opinions and experiences, I think I will try XP out for awhile, I'll probably end up spending the first week trying to turn off all the visuals (man I'm such a visual freak!)
February 9, 2003 6:59:05 PM

Well, first off when you get Xp up, do RMB (right mouse button) on the desk top. Select the advanced tab. Then select Performance Settings bar. Once in there, there's several selections there. The one selected by Windows = Let Windows choose what's best for my computer. LOL! Don't leave it checked. Choose the 3rd button down = Adjust for best performance, select that button. It will warn you of bad things if Windows isn't in charge, ignore it. Reboot & you will see XP without any of the frills you don't want. It looks like a bare bones 98 or 2k. I found that out on a forum for when your going to try & set a bench with the least overhead & visual effects like 3Dmark.

Warning!!!! For those of you wanting to experiment with this setting. Once you reboot you can select the original setting all you want to, but it will do no good. You'll have to do a System Restore to get back what you had it set to in the first place. Play at your own risk. I don't want to here I screwed up your XP.

If it ain't broke, take it apart & see why not!
February 9, 2003 8:15:39 PM

Yeah, it was the Canon BJC5100, so I left 98se on that computer instead of buying a new printer. The 2K drivers didn't work and neither did a hacked driver.

I just restored the settings back to the original on my PC and it works. Sounds like a problem on your end.

<font color=red>
February 9, 2003 8:25:30 PM

Well I didn't have anything with 98SE left on it, Soooo there she goes I guess. I believe it can be revived by someone, someday. But I've got so dam many old computers & peripherals setting in my basement the sooner or later I'm going to have to clear out a path to get through there.

I love the new printer though. I do a ton of digital photos & really needed a new printer. Would have been nice though to not have gone as long as I did without a stinking printer. It's really my fault for being so stubborn & not doing a dual boot with 98SE. I'm lazy to a point, you know what I mean?

If it ain't broke, take it apart & see why not!
February 10, 2003 3:45:28 AM

I couldn't use my cheap Canon BJC-2100 with XP, it flat out refused to instal it like it wasn't there. gave up on it after a while, then not long after I went back to runing 98SE because it worked out better than XP on my box.

<b><font color=blue>Press 1 if you want to be on hold, 2 for disconnect, 3 for a representative who will put you on hold before disconnecting.</font color=blue></b>
February 10, 2003 4:20:34 AM

Yeah, it's a matter of spending another $100+ on a printer, which I didn't want to have to do for my parents, so I just left 98se on there. The other hardware that I had a problem with was a modem.

<font color=red>
February 11, 2003 11:57:06 AM

Ditto... I have 98se & XP Pro partitions... in fact I have had more problems with my R9700 in XP than 98se (cant even get 3dmark2001 to install under XP at the mo...)

Hmmm, wonder if I can get a valid page fault ???
these invalid ones are far too commonplace...
February 11, 2003 5:30:08 PM

I have a 56K modem that only run with XP :lol: 
got it when I was testing XP to see if it's good for me or not and ISP was having problems with the DSL so needed 56K access for 2 days.
at least the modem cost me under 20$ (Canadian)

February 22, 2003 3:21:45 PM

Well I finally got my system put together, installed Windows XP Pro and was just disgusted with it. Although it starts up nice and fast, the desktop had no icons except the recycle bin and most of the folders were jacked.

I decided to just go with Windows 2000 to get the system running, maybe I'll have to give XP another shot later on when its running.

BTW, the Radeon 9700 Pro is pretty sweet, I've never seen such graphical performance (but than again my last PC was a 233mhz.) Installed 3DMark2001 and ran the default benchmark test and scored 12318 with an stock XP 1700 1.47Ghz processor(not sure if I was supposed to adjust the settings, heh.)

Thanks again for everyone's help, I really appreciate it!
April 6, 2003 1:53:33 PM

It's easy as hell. Just go to your desktop preferences. Then choose wich desktop icons you want to be on your desktop. It's that easy.
April 6, 2003 4:49:34 PM

Egads..

XP Pro let's you set up your desktop to look however you want...

Couple of things...

<A HREF="http://www.totalidea.com/frameset-tweakxp.htm" target="_new">http://www.totalidea.com/frameset-tweakxp.htm&lt;/A>

Tweak-XP is a great program in my experience..it offers a bunch of little tweaks to change the performance of XP and the way it looks...it's got a simple interface and I've never had any problems with it..

<A HREF="http://www.blackviper.com" target="_new">http://www.blackviper.com&lt;/A>

Check this site out for Windows XP services configuration info...XP installation tips...XP super "Tweaks"...etc..this guy has done his homework...I've been using this site for well over a year now...and the info is all good...I refer to it all the time...

Best of luck...

Aliu
April 6, 2003 8:53:44 PM

Actually, there are a lot of older games and programs that will refuse to run on XP. The Mechwarrior 1 and 2 series', all of them, will NOT work. Lots of DOS games will NOT work. Trust me, if you have lots of older programs you still want to use, use a dual boot. I have a 3.5gb partition for 98SE with all the games and stuff that XP refuses to run. It works out great for me, and is probably your best solution. Ignore these people that say XP will run anything. It won't.

As for turning off the visuals, I did the same. I use windowblinds to create a nice layout for my desktop, and I got rid of the dumb garbage like the dog and the paperclip and all that jazz. Forget the category view in the control panel, that's bunk. Everything looks like 2k as far as I'm concerned, and that's the way, uh huh uh huh, I like it, uh huh uh huh. ;-)

XP 2500+ Barton @ 2241Mhz
A7N8X Dlx
2x512MB Corsair PC3200
MSI GF3Ti 500
16x DVD-ROM
2x80GB 7200RPM Maxtor
Onboard audio
!