Sign in with
Your question

Has Nvidia commented at all about the poor GFX?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 9, 2003 7:53:58 PM

I was wondering, has NVIDIA said anything at all about the abysmal GeforceFX? Have they made any comments or said anything at all or given and clue as to anything at all? An explanation would be nice. I mean everybody knows the card is crap (at least the prerelease version) and all people are doing is flaming the card and NVIDIA. Does anyone know anything useful or have anything actually enlightening to say? Since I have not seen anything I am getting the impression that nobody really knows anything.

All I am going to do is to wait and see what comes out. It will be interesting to see the post release reviews and see what the launch partners whip out. There is no point in speculation without a reasonable basis for the hypothesis. I admit, I was one of many who were eagerly awaiting the release of the GFX in order to upgrade my aging GF3Ti500. And like many I am also rather disappointed by the results of the reviews. Everybody makes mistakes and nobody knows the future, so all this banter is useless. I am in no hurry to upgrade my GPU and I am willing to wait until summer. If you are not willing to wait then just get what you want. My friend has the 9700pro and loves it. Another has a Ti46008x and loves it. To each his own, or is own (whatever :p ).

On a side note, I read from someone else’s post that they thought that since the GFX was suppose to be released in OCT/NOV 2002 but didn't because of the 9700pro release and that NVIDIA probably did all kinds of crazy over clocking just to make it competitive. I agree that the original GFX must have not been as good as the 9700pro and that its release is the reason for the GFX’s delays and problems.

One mans throw-away is another mans god-box. Help friends in need, I always do!!
Then again, having extra parts are great for making dedicated servers for LAN parties!!!!
February 9, 2003 8:23:40 PM

Yes, in several interviews they have commented:

1. They believe that the card has sex appeal for a gamer.
2. They believe that the cooling solution (77dB) is innovative.

If the rumors pan out, the ultra will not make it to retail. The 400/800 can't compete so it won't last long either.

I'm still waiting to find out what Gainward is doing.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">If you were to have sex with your clone would that be considered incest or masturbation?</A></font color=red>
February 9, 2003 8:28:13 PM

Man that is crap. Sex appeal? You have got to be kidding! I use to consider my self a fan boy. I owned the original nforce mobo and currently have the A7N8X deluxe and owned a TNT, GF2 and currently a GF3Ti500. It is looking more and more likely that I will mixing tech by putting and ATI on my Nvidia mobo.....::shudders::

One mans throw-away is another mans god-box. Help friends in need, I always do!!
Then again, having extra parts are great for making dedicated servers for LAN parties!!!!
Related resources
February 9, 2003 8:37:58 PM

I built my brother a system with a A7N8X and a 9500 Pro. He loves it.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">If you were to have sex with your clone would that be considered incest or masturbation?</A></font color=red>
February 9, 2003 9:09:06 PM

Heh, I remember when 3DFX called it quits. I was still using a Voodoo3 and although their latest products were no match compared to Nvidia's, I was silently hoping that they could pump out one more video card--a break through product--and somehow find a way to survive. Obviously, that didn't happen. For a long time afterwards, Nvidia enjoyed owning most of the consumer graphics card market, and with good reason. Nvidia produced great cards and support at every price point. ATI was second but generally considered inferior by the enthusiast crowd due to its immature drivers, general lack of overclocking abilities, and that OEM vs. retail memory/core clock issue. Now, most people may not be "enthusiasts", but it's these enthusiasts, and hard-core gamers, that produce the PR for products to on-line community. People who voice their opinions about products like the FX are doing others a service. Who cares that the FX hasn't shipped yet? When Nvidia provided samples to be tested and reviewed, they should have been prepared for the negative press. I'm sick and tired of people coming to the defense of Nvidia saying that we should not judge the FX until it ships. PEOPLE! The FX WAS ready to ship and then ATI introduced the 9700 Pro. The fact is that Nvidia rested on it's laurels. They wanted to produce something better than the Ti4600, and it did. But when they saw how well the 9700 Pro was performing, they scrambled to make the FX better, and as a consequence, the FX's product launch was delayed. Sadly now, the Ultra version has been scraped leaving us with the regular 400/800 version. My guess is that it'll perform somewhere in between a 9500 Pro and the 9700 Pro. As drivers mature, Nvidia will find a way to squeeze another 20-30% out of the hardware. But by the time the new drivers are introduced, who knows what will be on the market--the RV350 perhaps? The GeForce FX, from a PR standpoint, is a disaster. Tech sites and forums have bashed it, and now manufacturers have begun as well. Just take a look at Vision Tek's website. I am neither pro-ATI or pro-Nvidia. I AM pro-consumer and I hope Nvidia will get it's act together. Competition is healthy for the market and for our wallets.

Yay, I'm a freakin' noob.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
February 10, 2003 12:38:53 AM

Yeah, I remember when the customer had 3 choices: 3DFX, ATI, or Nvidia. Would it be better to have 3+ GPU companies making original cards? Cards would be released every month to stay ahead of all the others, it would be crazy! But wouldn't the prices also be competitive?

As I see it, ATI's cards are AMD, Nvidia is Intel. Think about it, the ATI cards have a better "architecture" than Nvidia, and have lower clock speeds, yet the ATI easily competes. Nvidia just pumps up their clock speeds which look good in numbers, but lower ATI speeds are just as good in performance. Like Intel, Nvidia now has pricey cards that barely beat the much cheaper R9700 (just like AMD) =)

I'm a fan of AMD, so I guess in theory I should convert to ATIsm.

-I'm not stupid, I'm just big-boned!-
a b U Graphics card
February 10, 2003 6:47:49 AM

The cooling solution inovative? Try duplicative! Abit's been using it on their factory overclocked cards for a while now.

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>
!