mn500 vs mn700?

i use a mn500, my isp recently upgraded our speed from 3000/256 to
4400/384. Unfortunately i cant get a speed test above 3280. My isp claims
they checked my modem and i have 4400 DL going into it, and my problem is my
basestation. So my question is, if i upgrade to an mn700, will this open me
up for higher speeds?
Ron
4 answers Last reply
More about mn500 mn700

    You will never get the max theoritical speed that the ISP is capable of
    providing. There are too many factors between you and them that keep it from
    happening. However, if you feel that your router is producing a bottleneck,
    as a temporary test connect your computer directly to your high speed modem,
    repair your connection to get the new direct IP, and then run the speed test
    again.

    If you aren't familar w/ repairing a connection, please see the top of
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812951

    "RDC" wrote:

    > i use a mn500, my isp recently upgraded our speed from 3000/256 to
    > 4400/384. Unfortunately i cant get a speed test above 3280. My isp claims
    > they checked my modem and i have 4400 DL going into it, and my problem is my
    > basestation. So my question is, if i upgrade to an mn700, will this open me
    > up for higher speeds?
    > Ron

    well i wired my cable modem direct, and went from a 3274/354 (with router)
    to 4112/354 (without router).
    Went out to Staples and bought a Linskys-G router, came home hooked it up,
    my speed is 3981/354, threw my mn500 in the closet and i guess i can delete
    this NG since MS isnt in the router business anymore.
    I'f this Linksys performs half as good as my basestation did, i'll be a
    happy man. MS had me hooked for life with the basestations, i sure hate to
    see them out of that business.
    Adios folks,
    Ron

    oh by the way, the guy at Staples said switching from a B-router to a
    G-router would NOT make a speed difference as far as interent was concerned,
    but 700bps difference is alot to me, i still remember paying 50 bucks a
    months for 560bps dsl.
    Ron

    Sounds like Roadrunner. I have the MN-700 and get 5mbits
    on my wired lines and around 3800-4000 on my wireless
    line. It is the same if I use another router as well!!!

Routers Hardware Internet Service Providers Microsoft Networking