Sign in with
Your question

Problem on Defragmentation Program

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
April 7, 2003 2:32:46 PM

I would like to us the defragmentation program provided by WinME to defrag my HDD. However, the percentage of progress usually stay at 0-1% even after 3 hours. Whats wrong is my OS or my HDD? Any suggestion can be given to me?

Looking forward to your assistance.
Regards
April 11, 2003 6:32:49 PM

close down all programs in the system tray.
Then hit ctrl-alt-delete and shut down all programs except explorer, systray, and maybe rundll32.
The reason it wont run is some program is accessing the hard drive which causes the defrag prog to restart because the drive contents have changed.
April 11, 2003 8:13:36 PM

Someone should file a lawsuit against Microsoft for releasing Winme it's absolute SH*T! Go back to Win98se or upgrade to Winxp.
Related resources
April 11, 2003 10:25:01 PM

I'm forced to agree. I've got a friend, who's cheapo Wal-Mart computer is always messing up. Guess which os he has, you guessed it. Wonderful ol windows me...damn

It's all good ^_^
April 13, 2003 7:19:10 AM

I also like to just run it from safe mode, and make sure the screen saver is off. Then everything is guaranteed to be closed.

Also, on all 98 and ME systems, turn off the dang active desktop. That thing crashes the computer more than anything else.
!