700$ portable laptop suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

1bddubs1

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
Hello THG,

I am looking to buy a light portable pc laptop around 700$. Due to a fair amount of travel i would like a 13-14 inch portable with an internal cd/dvd drive. Due to the ease of upgrades i am indifferent towards RAM and hard drives and can pick them up if the initial purchase does not seem to be enough. I am hoping to get a good CPU, GPU, and Mobo pre-installed.

Current Usage: A/V editing, music, video, multi page browsing, streaming video (youtube/skype), Light gaming (sometimes a few of these at once)

Current Games: WoW, Starcraft, Civilization V

Future games: I don't know, I don't currently have a machine that will play these games on settings better than minimum. I am looking for a pc that will allow me to expand my gaming selection.

Time Frame: within a month

Favorite Brands: Asus, Dell, HP

Least Favorite: Toshiba (expensive paper weight in my experience)

Price: 700$ ish (no more than 800$ with tax and shipping)

Desired size/ Resolution : 13-14 inches / any

Prefer game settings: Medium

Optical Drive: cd/dvd

RAM: any as long as it is upgradable to better than a total of 4gb

Hard Drive: 320gb or better

Sites Used Typically: Newegg, Amazon

Currently interested in: Asus U30SD-XA1 @ Amazon 680$

Will this fit the bill? If not, what suggestions do you have?

*I apologize, no links, ive tried 4 times now from my phone and i have to start over every time i try :(

1bddubs1

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011

Thank you so much for this find! I would definitely go with that but... As luck would have it, i just recieved an early xmas present a 100$ amazon gift card.
I believe i am now going to go with the Asus U46SV-DH51 @ Amazon 799.99. It has an additional 4gb RAM, 8 cell battery, and a bit larger HDD @ 750gb.
Thank you so much for your time and the stellar recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.