USB PRINTER SHARING

G

Currently have 2 PC's networked together. Just bought Lexmark 83 printer, uses USB Connection. Locally attached to PC 1 (Abit Kt7a mobo) works fines. Try to get PC 2 (Abit KG7 mobo) to find printer. Keeps telling me I'm having a communication problem. Followed all the steps to add network printer, checked all properties for sharing. Also reversed install. Wondering if this is a abit mobo problem. What do you all think?
Thanks!!!!!!!

G

Using ME on both PC's. Yes I have shared both 'C' drives and can see either one from either PC when I add another network drive. I can attach my old printer to the printer port on either PC and can get to it just fine. It seems to be something about the USB port paths not recognized.
Thanks for getting back to me.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Just to double check, you "shared" the USB printer on PC A, then you tried to add a network printer on PC B, then you browsed for printers and it said "working" and it found the WORKGROUP and you double clicked on WORKGROUP but it found no printers? Yet when you did this exact same thing with a printer attached to PC A's parallel port, it found the printer?

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

G

YEP..... It finds the workgroup(PC A) and actually has the printer name attached to it (ex: pca/lexmark). It lets me pick it and finishes the install process by asking me if I want a test page to print. I pick yes, but it doesn't print, it says it is unable to communicate with the printer. I even tried printing something from notepad, but the same thing happens. I think it is not seeing the USB port, but I cannot explain why it see's the workgroup and a printer assigned, but cannot communciate with it. I really appreciate your help, I am out of things to try.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
now that I think about it, I remember having trouble sharing a USB printer also. I wonder if it's ever been done successfully?

Also, when you installed the USB printer on PC A, did you run the install program as per the instructions, or just point it at the drivers? I would try uninstalling it and running the install program again.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
It certainly doesn't apply to all USB printers. I am sharing a HP Photosmart 1215 across a network using Win98 and Me machines with no problems.

Have you tried getting support from Lexmark? Their drivers are dire, I'd suspect them.

G

I wiped everything off both pc's loaded everything again, including updates from Lexmark. (NOTHING) and I couldn't find any help with this on the Lexmark site. Soooooo I will live with it. Thanks for all your help. I'm on this site looking up stuff all the time so I will post again I'm sure.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by huskers on 02/25/02 07:52 PM.</EM></FONT></P>