Miracle

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002

Since lowering SR is a standard action, things might get complicated if a
creture needs healing in the middle of combat.
Things get even worse if a creature in question falls into negatives, and
thus is not able to reduce it's SR.
So I was wondering about effect that SR has on potions? If someone spills
CLW potion to an unconscious creature, would SR apply?

aponly

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2005

See the magic overview section in the DMG (this is from SRD):

"Target or Targets: ....
Some spells restrict you to willing targets only. Declaring yourself as
a willing target is something that can be done at any time (even if
you're flat-footed or it isn't your turn). Unconscious creatures
are automatically considered willing, but a character who is conscious
but immobile or helpless (such as one who is bound, cowering,
grappling, paralyzed, pinned, or stunned) is not automatically
willing."

Therefore, your unconscious creature would have no CR and the potion
would work.

aponly wrote:
> See the magic overview section in the DMG (this is from SRD):

(Stuff on willing targets cut)

> Therefore, your unconscious creature would have no [SR] and the potion
> would work.

But being willing is not enough. The following is from the gloassary
entry on Sepell Resistance at Wizards.com.

"A creature can voluntarily lower its spell resistance. Doing so is a
standard action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity. Once a
creature lowers its resistance, it remains down until the creature's
next turn. At the beginning of the creature's next turn, the creature's
spell resistance automatically returns unless the creature
intentionally keeps it down (also a standard action that does not
provoke an attack of opportunity)."

So unless it is consciously kept down, SR persists whilst unconscious.

Mark

aponly

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2005

I was using this reference:

When Spell Resistance Applies
Each spell includes an entry that indicates whether spell resistance
applies to the spell. In general, whether spell resistance applies
depends on what the spell does:

Targeted Spells: Spell resistance applies if the spell is targeted at
the creature. Some individually targeted spells can be directed at
several creatures simultaneously. In such cases, a creature's spell
resistance applies only to the portion of the spell actually targeted
at that creature. If several different resistant creatures are
subjected to such a spell, each checks its spell resistance separately.

I use this in combination with the statement I used above. If a spell
is beneficial to a creature with spell resistance, then as a DM, I
would allow the successful use of it without an SR roll. The original
question is with the use of a CLW potion, this I would allow. If the
creature was conscious, it would want the potion to take effect.

Of course, as a DM, then it's always your option to change the rules.
:)

JON

aponly

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2005

When I said above, I was referring to my previous post. The original
note was in reference to giving a CLW potion to an unconscious creature
with SR. Potions are considered spell-like and are affected by SR.

The rules say:

"When Spell Resistance Applies
Each spell includes an entry that indicates whether spell resistance
applies to the spell. In general, whether spell resistance applies
depends on what the spell does:

Targeted Spells: Spell resistance applies if the spell is targeted at
the creature. Some individually targeted spells can be directed at
several creatures simultaneously. In such cases, a creature's spell
resistance applies only to the portion of the spell actually targeted
at that creature. If several different resistant creatures are
subjected to such a spell, each checks its spell resistance separately.
"

To continue, CLW is a targeted spell, so:

"Target or Targets: ....
Some spells restrict you to willing targets only. Declaring yourself as

a willing target is something that can be done at any time (even if
you're flat-footed or it isn't your turn). Unconscious creatures
are automatically considered willing, but a character who is conscious
but immobile or helpless (such as one who is bound, cowering,
grappling, paralyzed, pinned, or stunned) is not automatically
willing."

Therefore, my conclusion is that with this example; an unconscious
creature is willing, is targeted, and its spell resistance does not
apply. CLW is also flagged as harmless or beneficial, so I think it
supports my opinion. Of course, this is only my opinion and other DMs
can do as they wish.

aponly

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2005

Bradd W. Szonye wrote:
>That's obvious, but it doesn't help folks whose newsreaders don't /show/
the previous post. Not everyone uses Google Groups. When you refer to
text elsewhere in the thread, it's good netiquette to quote it.
Likewise, it's poor netiquette to post a followup with no quoted