Found a VooDoo 5 5500 AGP...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OK, I found what I believe to be a VooDoo5 5500 AGP. It has two graphics chips onboard an almost empty PCB which is far larger than needed. I think they might have made the card this big to get the chips away from each other...

Anyway, I remember a company used to make a card with 8 VooDoo3 chips on it and 8 VGA outputs (through an output cable) for use on high end graphics workstations. I remember how well these things worked for Open GL. Question is, are these things still relavent to Open GL?

Now before you get your panties in a bunch about the latest gaming cards converted to workstation cards, remember that these newer chips are designed for Open GL as a secondary function, DX being the primary function. So these types of cards are not necessarily an ideal solution for Open GL, even though they are enhanced versions of the gaming card. I'm looking at Open GL compatability only. Thinking of building a workstation for Open GL only, thanks!

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>

Zim

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
If you have a V5 with a lot of space, that means you have either a board 3dfx released to software developers for testing purposes or it is a working-model they used internally while developing the card's layout standard. You should have at least an inch and a half of pretty clean PCB right at the end if it is what I'm talking about.

Now what do you mean about "relevant" to OpenGL? Yes, the Voodoo 5 supports OpenGL, in addition to it's prorietary Glide API and D3D. On Macs, they support OpenGL, Rave, and Glide, making the card a pretty decent investment if the economy and bad planning hadn't killed the company.

Can you post pictures of the board? BTW, if you ever get your hands on a really big video card that looks like it has four processors on it, it isn't worth anything and you can give it to me :D

----------------------------------------------------
?! <--- indicates clueless excitement.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The board was as you described, with a bunch of clean space. I was just wondering if these boards were still better at OpenGL than the latest stuff from ATI and nVidia.

Anyway, YES I HAVE SEEN a 4 chip card, it had 4 voodoo something or other chips, one of my venders was selling it used for some outrageous price like $150.

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>

Zim

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
WHAT???!!!! Er... if you actually found a 3dfx card with 4 processors on it, it's worth easily $600 since it's a Voodoo 5 6000 and they were never released. They were the fastest card on the planet, pushing 1.22 Gigapixels. They had 128mb ram which was a HUGE amount back in 2000. I seem to recal one going on eBay for $1200 once? But the price has come down since the economy went into the crapper. If you could have bought this card for $150, that would have been a very tidy profit when you sold it.

Zim

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
They wern't released because they never had a chance to go into production. nVidia bough out 3dfx before the board ever had the final layout completed. All of the 120 or so existing boards are developer boards. If 3dfx had hung around for another three months, we'd see a whole bunch of them. Lol, considering their size and power consumption, they were only about as powerful as a GeForce 2 Ultra, or maybe a low end GeForce3. They used brute force to get the work done, a lousy way to do things. 3dfx was screwed as far back as the Voodoo3. They just didn't have the "next" level of technology advanced enough to keep up. Ah, well.

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
And who really liked the idea of an external power pack for the video card....

<A HREF="http://tekkoshocon.com/" target="_new">http://tekkoshocon.com/</A> Southeast Pennsylvania gets an Anime Convention!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Er, no. I found cards with 4 and 8 voodoo chips. They were professional cards for running multiple displays, not made by 3DFX. While the VooDoo5 6000 did exist briefly, there were many other cards with multiple VooDoo chips, all the way back to VooDoo1.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

Flipphone

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2003
nvida had to buy them out cuase at the time ati was crap and 3dfx for some reason was on the verge of having a 256 meg chip that needed its own power supply to run it.lol but we should all respect 3dfx for makin ati have to make make better cards but nvidia finaly let 20 of them help design the fx chip lets see what they have learned,