Is the new dimension 4700 a better choice than the 4600 ?

If you just need a quiet and reliable all-round home computer which should last for at
least 6 years.....
The only critical thing is that I want a DVI monitor.
And of course, price is important.
8 answers Last reply
More about dimension 4700 choice 4600

    "_paul" <getNOSPAM@get2net.dk> wrote:

    >If you just need a quiet and reliable all-round home computer which should last for at
    >least 6 years.....

    What are you doing with your "all-round home computer" now? What
    do you expect to be doing with your new computer one, two, three,
    etc., years from now? You are the only one who can answer these
    questions.

    The primary lines of Dell computers for home/home office use are
    the 2xxx series, the 4xxx series, and the 8xxx series, from most
    basic, through mid-level, to higher level. Within each of the
    series, successive models [e.g., 4700 replacing the 4600]
    generally represent an improvement in components, at the
    computer's level in Dell's scheme of things.

    >The only critical thing is that I want a DVI monitor.

    So order one with the computer you select.

    >And of course, price is important.

    It always is. The question is /how/ important? What performance
    items are you willing to give up to meet your price goal?
    --
    OJ III

    The main difference between the 4600 and the 4700 computers is the new PCI
    express video cards, and the new PCI slot on the motherboard.

    "Ogden Johnson III" <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > "_paul" <getNOSPAM@get2net.dk> wrote:
    >
    >>If you just need a quiet and reliable all-round home computer which should
    >>last for at
    >>least 6 years.....
    >
    > What are you doing with your "all-round home computer" now? What
    > do you expect to be doing with your new computer one, two, three,
    > etc., years from now? You are the only one who can answer these
    > questions.
    >
    > The primary lines of Dell computers for home/home office use are
    > the 2xxx series, the 4xxx series, and the 8xxx series, from most
    > basic, through mid-level, to higher level. Within each of the
    > series, successive models [e.g., 4700 replacing the 4600]
    > generally represent an improvement in components, at the
    > computer's level in Dell's scheme of things.
    >
    >>The only critical thing is that I want a DVI monitor.
    >
    > So order one with the computer you select.
    >
    >>And of course, price is important.
    >
    > It always is. The question is /how/ important? What performance
    > items are you willing to give up to meet your price goal?
    > --
    > OJ III
    > [Email to Yahoo address may be burned before reading.
    > Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast.]

    plus only a SATA interface for hard drives.

    "Carolyn Taliaferro" <ctalia4000@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > The main difference between the 4600 and the 4700 computers is the new PCI
    > express video cards, and the new PCI slot on the motherboard.
    >
    > "Ogden Johnson III" <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> "_paul" <getNOSPAM@get2net.dk> wrote:
    >>
    >>>If you just need a quiet and reliable all-round home computer which
    >>>should last for at
    >>>least 6 years.....
    >>
    >> What are you doing with your "all-round home computer" now? What
    >> do you expect to be doing with your new computer one, two, three,
    >> etc., years from now? You are the only one who can answer these
    >> questions.
    >>
    >> The primary lines of Dell computers for home/home office use are
    >> the 2xxx series, the 4xxx series, and the 8xxx series, from most
    >> basic, through mid-level, to higher level. Within each of the
    >> series, successive models [e.g., 4700 replacing the 4600]
    >> generally represent an improvement in components, at the
    >> computer's level in Dell's scheme of things.
    >>
    >>>The only critical thing is that I want a DVI monitor.
    >>
    >> So order one with the computer you select.
    >>
    >>>And of course, price is important.
    >>
    >> It always is. The question is /how/ important? What performance
    >> items are you willing to give up to meet your price goal?
    >> --
    >> OJ III
    >> [Email to Yahoo address may be burned before reading.
    >> Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast.]

    .. . . plus DDR2 memory.

    > plus only a SATA interface for hard drives.
    >
    > "Carolyn Taliaferro" <ctalia4000@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> The main difference between the 4600 and the 4700 computers is the new
    >> PCI express video cards, and the new PCI slot on the motherboard.
    >>
    >> "Ogden Johnson III" <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    >>> What are you doing with your "all-round home computer" now? What
    >>> do you expect to be doing with your new computer one, two, three,
    >>> etc., years from now? You are the only one who can answer these
    >>> questions.
    >>>
    >>> The primary lines of Dell computers for home/home office use are
    >>> the 2xxx series, the 4xxx series, and the 8xxx series, from most
    >>> basic, through mid-level, to higher level. Within each of the
    >>> series, successive models [e.g., 4700 replacing the 4600]
    >>> generally represent an improvement in components, at the
    >>> computer's level in Dell's scheme of things.

    >>> So order one with the computer you select.

    >>> It always is. The question is /how/ important? What performance
    >>> items are you willing to give up to meet your price goal?
    >>> --
    >>> OJ III
    >>> [Email to Yahoo address may be burned before reading.
    >>> Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast.]

    The 4700 just came out after I got my 4600, which I'm satisifed with.
    I assume that the 4700 is a replacement for the 4600, which is no
    longer shown in the Dell catalog.

    dpete47@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (davinp) writes:
    >The 4700 just came out after I got my 4600, which I'm satisifed with.
    >I assume that the 4700 is a replacement for the 4600, which is no
    >longer shown in the Dell catalog.

    4700 has the prescott cpu so it runs hotter than the 4600.

    4700 has serial ata disks vs the parallel ata disks of the 4600.

    4700 has ich6 based motherboard devices vs the ich5 of the 4600.

    If you are trying to run Linux on the 4700 you'll have to set the sata
    operation to "combination" in the bios. You'll have to download the
    latest e100 driver sources from intel for the ethernet device. You'll
    have to backport the ich5 sound from fedora into RedHat9 for sound (after
    tweaking it to recognize the ich6.

    Benchmark wise programs on a 3.0ghz 4600 run slightly faster than the
    3.0ghz 4700 (at least here).

    Later

    Mark Hittinger
    bugs@pu.net

    > The 4700 just came out after I got my 4600, which I'm satisifed with.
    > I assume that the 4700 is a replacement for the 4600, which is no
    > longer shown in the Dell catalog.

    The 4700 has a newer chipset with PCI Express slot and no AGP graphics
    interface. The 4600 has AGP which is obsolete.

    "Stan" <stnliscusx@excit.com> wrote in message
    >> The 4700 just came out after I got my 4600, which I'm satisifed with.
    >> I assume that the 4700 is a replacement for the 4600, which is no
    >> longer shown in the Dell catalog.
    >
    > The 4700 has a newer chipset with PCI Express slot and no AGP graphics
    > interface. The 4600 has AGP which is obsolete.

    The OPs question is a matter of opinion; newer doesn't necessarily mean
    'better'.

    I'd personally keep the Dim4600 right now as I'm convinced that the Socket
    T/LGA775 boards are still experiencing 'growing pains'.

    The 4600 is a pretty solid peformer and a known quantity, in my opinion.

    Stew

Dell Dimension Computers