Possible to disable IE?

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
my friend has a piant store with 3 employees. 1 server, 4 clients. the second he leaves the store the employees do nothing but surf the net. is there a way to completely disable internet explorer and deny internet access without a firewall on the server?

....the crows seemed to be calling him, thought caw....

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
I don’t know about disabling it, but you might be able to uninstall it. I did that once to Win98 and it look terrible and you lose a lot of features in all the folders you open up, so I wouldn’t advise that. I would suggest finding another way to keep them off line. You should be able to uninstall what ever program they use to get on-line, unhook the phone line if you could, disable some stuff or even hide it. That’s what I would do anyways, since I don’t think you can disable IE, and I sure wouldn’t uninstall it. That’s my thought anyways.

When you feel that reality does not suit you, live a fantasy life.

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
First of all, a networked system without a firewall is an open invitation to hackers... so you need to deal with that.

Now for the IE problem... you can use permissions to stop access. All you have to do is put the employees in a usergroup separate from the admins and deny that usergroup access to IE.

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---

Javic

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2002
You might be better off setting up a Proxy and handling the permissions with that as opposed to permissions to strictly IE. If you disable IE, you still have access to the internet (DOS FTP, Instant Messengers, etc). This would allow them to still "slack off" in ways, they would just need to be a bit more creative about doing so. With the proxy you can cut off their access to the internet completely.

But as Teq said, you really should have a firewall in place, especially for a business. What would you do if you walked in to the store tomorrow and all your inventory and POS data was gone or altered?

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
you can deny access to internet explorer all you want, but you can still open my computer and type in a web site in the address bar and go wherever you want without actually running the ie program.

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!