Formatting with problems

possiblyreefer

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
Ok so ive been mulling over this one for a few days.
Basically i want to fresh install my w7 that i have
seems easy. Stick a disk in and set the boot prio to the dvd.

well its not letting me do that.
I think something has either edited my registry somehow and my dvd drives just wont work.
They open and close fine but when you try to access them i get

"ACCES DENIED <disc drive letter> APPLICATION NOT FOUND"

which is kind of annoying seeing as i cant use discs.
All i want to do is to format my hdd and start again getting rid of this problem.

the only solution i can think of is using my brothers hard drive. Running mine as slave, booting to his then formatting mine from within his. Taking his out, then just using mine like a normal hard drive thats fresh. Should/would this work?
as i cant format currently because "volume is in use" yeah i know.

halp

How are your drives connected to the motherboard of your pc ?
Are they through an IDE cable or Sata?

If the drives are connected by the first interface type, its likely that you will find you have not moved the jumper on the back of your HD to Master device, and your DVD Reader/Writer to Slave device.

If both are set to master, or slave this will happen when both devices are connected using the same IDE cable.

So check the HD is jumped on the back to Master, and DVD jumper is set to slave.
Then give it a try.

possiblyreefer

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
Sata hdd. IDE dvd drive. I had tried what you had said. And the problem didnt happen after a build or shuffle. It happened just randomly one day.

I have read some things about w7 editing the registry for dvd drives to confuse the upper and lower limits however i have changed these. deleted them. Uninstalled the drive and let the OS pick them up. Still to no avail.

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
download The Ultimate Boot CD: http://100-downloads.com/search.php?q=ubcd, burn to a disk, boot from this disk, select HDD Tools and wipe, open wipe, MAKE SURE you select the drive you want to Wipe, hit F10, follow the directions, go get some coffee, and come ack in half hour and see how it's goin, this will take a while, especially if the drive is big
After it is done remove the disk, put your Windows disk in and reboot, install

possiblyreefer

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
without a disk drive remember. like i said the disk is present, it just wont read anything and gives me an error. I would just boot straight to windows disk if i could :)

I have tried booting to the disk drive but it just wont.

for example if you put in a bootable cd
you get the "press any key to continue" black screen after the mobo splash screen.
even with a windows disk in mine just goes splash screen >> "starting windows"

i have tried this with a few drives and nothing.

would booting from a different HDD and making mine a slave and formatting from within this be the best possible move?

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
can you boot from a USB device, if so put the contents of UBCD on a USB stick, and boot the computer, make sure in BIOS you have boot from USD device enabled, let me know how it goes
sounds like your CD/DVD has died

jester83501

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010

i had this happen to me once. remove your master HD and replace with one you have (should) sitting around. install OS, then install the main drive. boot with the mentioned CD then wipe your disk.

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
Sorry, copy the ISO to the USB device
sorry having to many distractions, use UltraISO(it's free) to burn the ISO to the USB device, make sure you select make the device bootable, select the drive and birn, then it will boot from the USB device

possiblyreefer

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008

Yeah at first i thought it might have died however i replaced with another spare that i knew was working as i was ripping with it the day before. and the same thing happened. It gives me an APPLICATION NOT FOUND <disk drive number>. the drive itself will open and close and the device manager shows no problems with it

I think im going to try to boot a different master HDD then run mine as a slave and format through this.

if not i will try to make a bootable USB with an iso mounter. got the one i can use anyway set up so its just making the usb a bootable device which is easy.

windows7guy

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Hello possiblyreefer,

Have you tried installing Windows 7 with USB Flash Drive? I use USB flash drives all the time for OS install it works perfectly - lot faster and no DVDs to get scratched and damaged! :)
You can download the USB tool for free and copy your Windows 7 ISO to the USB. Complete instructions can be found here:
http://store.microsoft.com/Help/ISO-Tool
Thanks,
John M
Microsoft Windows Client Team

JessicaD

Distinguished
May 4, 2009

What happens when you boot from the Windows 7 DVD? You can always format your drive through the Windows 7 DVD and then perform a custom installation.

Does this not work. If not, what error message do you see?

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

possiblyreefer

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008

yeah i thought this aswell.
Firstly i set my boot prio to obviously take dvd drive 1st followed by hdd.

secondly i entered the boot prompt screen asking what i wanted to boot to out of a given list. Chose the dvd drive and it just went black then just passed it and booted windows as normal from my hdd.
as i have said before i have replicated this with a optical drive that i know is 100% working. And windows even picks up the disk drive and all. Not really sure what more to try apart from a usb format

possiblyreefer

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
Thats a good point actually. Although i think im just going to get a new hard drive :) saves all this crap and my current one is nearly full. Fed up with having to rely on steam games for my entertainment as i cant install anything else :)

possiblyreefer

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
Im genereally quite good at hardware problems but this one had me stumped :/ i thought that i can just make a get around clause by removing the problems :D. But this means a thread on the caviar black vs deskstar vs spinpoint :)

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
my DVD burner quit working, could burn CD's, but no DVD's, tried all kinds of software, but the idea that the drive died escaped me, until someone pointed it out, it's always the simple things
the WD blackcomes with a 5 year warranty, the deathstar(pun intended) do seem to have some issues with reliability, the spinpoint is a good drive

ricky_critic

Distinguished
May 27, 2010

I got "access denied" for the C:\ object soon after I turned off the HOMEGROUP.

Windows Explorer still showed most everything in both the left and right panes, but attempts to expand anything in either pane got the "access denied" pop-up. Also, I could not even create a new folder on the desktop ("access denied").

Properties for C:\ worked, so I checked permissions. No user had permission to use C:\ (!)

Checking ownership showed "Administrators." I changed it to my userid. Then I could give permissions to my userid (and to Administrators just in case).

No more "access denied" pop-ups. :)

= = = = = = = = = = = = more added ...
It is possible, even probable, that the issue arises only if you previously made C:\ a shared object. You might have done this, for example, when your computer is part of a secured home network and you trust everyone in the house. lol

You can reproduce the issue at will as follows:

Control Panel-->HomeGroup-->Leave the HomeGroup-->confirmation/acknowledgment dialog

Permissions for C:\ are immediately gone. :(

You can get them back manually by respecifying ownership with the kludgy Properties-->Security-->Advanced-->et cetera dialog implied earlier above. They come back at once (no restart required).