My Laggy Behavior

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Its an old Geforce2pro on a KT333 running win2k... latest detonator drives 42.81 or something similar.

Ive had this problem for ages.
To keep things simple i experience.

A. Laggy/sluggish 3d behavior, but not "choppy" (the framerates are acceptable)

B. mostly when playing certain 3d games and moving using the mouse... movement seems to lagg behind actual mouse movement in a wierd fashion.

C. seen it in many games, under many chipset driver revisions, 2 different win2k service packs and at least 10 different Detonator revisions.

D. most noticible in serious sam, less so but still there in serious sam the second encounter. Also badly in Unreal Tournament (the original). In serious sam the problem is worse in openGL. With UT its much worse in direct3d. Return to castle wolf seems unaffected, UT2003 demo is only minorly effected. Need for speed porsche is unaffected.

E. increasing resolution or graphics detail makes the problem alot worse (increases lag time and makes accurate aiming impossible) even as low as 800x600 can be significantly effected while the framerate is still between 60-80.

F. going from 32bit gaming to 16bit helps a little, but not allways.

G. ive also gone from p2 kb + mouse to usb kb + mouse stll having the same problem.

WHY IS THIS SO???

Ive tried everything under the stars with no efect. Im thinking it could be IRQ sharing.
Dones anyone have any info on how that can effect gaming.
Most devices including the video card, sound card, NIC and others are assigned IRQ11 by win2k.

any other out of the world ideas?

<b>Anyone claiming they can see the difference
between 450 and 500 FPS in Quake3 deserves to
be severely beaten with a rock. :smile: </b>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I found these sometimes produce that behavior.

- active virus scanner
- Mouseware
- mouse animation
- mouse acceleration
- mouse trails

I also found my PS/2 mouse did it worse than my USB mouse but you already mentioned this is not the cause.

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Hmmm. im not running a virus scanner.
i dont think im running mouse software, besides the stock MS stuff for my explorer3.0, but ill check.
I AM running compac keyboard driver thinggies, so ill turn those off, allong with everythign else (progressivly)

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
oh yes. many times... all the way from the 4.29 drivers to the latest hyperions.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
...I think I had a third party screensaver that caused lag too.

GeforceFAQ has a couple suggestions for mouse lag. It's for specific games but may help or give you some ideas.

http://go.to/geforcefaq (sorry a hotlink doesn't work).

Click "List All FAQ" and search for "lag".

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
ill check it out thanx... but i have more immediate problems, my adsl modem died after only one day. *sniffles* musta been a dud.

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
ive had this happen to me before too, the laggy movement..

it was when i had alot of programs running in the background , or had the resolution cranked up really high

only solution i can think of is to remove any extra programs from msconfig and try again

deee12

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
Similar thing happened to me when I DL a game demo...playing DF2 online became laggy and nobody else noticed it... this continued over several days until I removed every trace of the demo.