Score! 9700pro, 2 Powersupplies 1

bloaty

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2002
In this heated competition the 9700pro is in the lead after successfully exploding 2 no-namer 300watt PSU's while the PSUs have only been able to explode 1 9700pro in defence.
I finally got my 9700pro back from ATI on RMA, i cant say enough about how good they are for warrenty, support ect. But anyway, i went and bought a 370watt Topower PSU to replace the now cripsy no-namers and everything runs great. The moral of the story is, dont use no namer PSU's with 9700/9500's cause your asking for trouble =P

Sex is like a card game, if you dont have a good partner you better have a good hand.

vegandago

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2002
amen.

btw you're nuts for trying to even run it on a 300w ps let alone a noname 300w

"There is no dark or light side, only power and those too weak to seek it."

bloaty

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2002
ya it was nuts, or was it? ATI cards come with a 5 year warrenty!

Sex is like a card game, if you dont have a good partner you better have a good hand.

eden

Champion
Well, most brand named PSUs like Antec can oversupply by quite some amount. I suspect my Antec 300W could stand the R9500PRO on it, along with my XP 1.4GHZ system. It ain't bloated though, only 1 HDD, one optical, 2-3 PCI cards.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, they CAN'T OVERSUPPLY, you've simply been mislead by so many power supplies that UNDER SUPPLIED. Fww in here own computers that actually uses more than 300W for example. The problem is that so many "300W" power supplies crap out at 250W or less.

I think Antec LEAD this overrating system with their standard supplies, then got back to reality with their True Power series.

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>

eden

Champion
I see. I don't know whether the Antec Solution 300W is underrated, though I still would take the risk, with a future R350 0.13m version, or any card at 0.13m which consumes much less than now.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:

thaloc

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2002
Well, I have no-name 300W PSU running 9500Pro + P4 1.4 +512MB RDRAM + 80GB HDD + SB Audigy + DVD-ROM + TV card + two Zalman FB123 fans. It has been going on like this for last two months 24h/day, without any problems. I guess I'm just lucky :p.
BTW, got 3285 marks in 3DMark2003 on (XPPro, Catalyst 3.1) :). Also run demo in loop for more than a hour, and nothing crashed (or exploded ;).

vegandago

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2002
crashman, tom's review of a bunch of PSUs way back revealed quite the contrary. They have a number of PSUs listed there that performed higher than their ratings.

"There is no dark or light side, only power and those too weak to seek it."

speeduk

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
I've been experiencing some big probs lately with my 9700pro and now i think i know why LOL!!! I'm using a 300w psu! System ran fine for a month then suddenly wouldnt boot up, reinstalled windows and still no go. Just as i was about to take the thing back it started working again, and today it wouldnt boot to windows again everytime I tried to go to 16bit or more it crashed :(. I got it working again tho LOL in 16bit not gonna try 32bit tho until i get a new case. Hope it dont blow up till then hehe :)

cjmurph

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
great time to post this guys, I recieve my new 9700 PRO tommorow and I intended to hook it up to a generic 300W PSU, guess its time to shell out some dosh. I didn't think it would matter that much. better safe than sorry I guess.

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
I was using a older model Antec pp412 (400Watt) power supply in my system and when I hooked up my new radeon 9700 to it my led case fans would flicker on start up....(think this thing is sucking some power?? :smile: ....then in games it would run fine and then crash every once in a while....I said screw it and purchased an enermax AX465-VE (466watt)33A on 12V rail compared to the Antec's 18A(big difference)and now my lights do not flicker a bit and no more crashes....

<font color=green>Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza<font color=green>

GT2003

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2003
Hi I read your post, I have a Albatron PX845PE Pro II mobo with twinmos pc3200 512 MB memory with winbondmodul, p4 2.4/533 and a radeon 9700 pro.
I have the fastest settings On my radeoncard

My problem is when a run a 3dmark 2001se test with just the orginal settings(133x18=2400mhz)(ddr 333)
I get about 11000 3dmark 2001se points.

When I overclock my sytem to 166x18=3000 and ddr to 415 I
only get 7000 3dmark 2001se points.

I have direct x9, catalyst 3.1 driver, intels latest driver
and a fresch xp-system.
I have tried diffrent options in bios too. (defult)

Do you think it can be my psu 300w that cusing my problem?

I have 6 hd, 2cdrom, 1 network card, 1 radeon 9700 pro, 1 soundblastercard, 1 floppy and 2 120mm papstfans in my system...

speeduk

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
Well I just upgraded to a 550w psu and everything works fine now so I think if u have a 300w or less psu and ur thinkin about getting a rad9700 pro get a new psu too!!!

eden

Champion
You are actually running 6 hard drives, 2 CD drives, a Radeon 9700PRO, a P4 2.4B GHZ on this friggin 300W system?
What is this, a joke?

--

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hmm, your 400W Antec could probably match a good quality 300W unit for power output, Antec's lower end power supplies are just as bad as most generic (worse than many generic) supplies for being overrated.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Hey Crash, can you recommend a good system with an Antec power supply, a Via chipset, an SB Live card? Oh yeah, and I want Windows ME...

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Certainly. Get VIA's new integrated C3 board/CPU, and put the SB Live in it's single PCI slot. Problem is, I think even Antec's 250W unit is a little extreme for one of those.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Id so ur problem is ur CPU temp. is gettign to high at this poitn where the CPU is throttling itself down in clock speed so it doesnt burn up..........

try a different Heatsink and fan.....also u might wanna try a different power supply....

besides.....unless u have about 3 power splitters theres no way ur running all those devices off a generic 300watt PSU as they tend to only coem with 4 standard power connectors and 1 small style liek on the floppies.....

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

eden

Champion
Yo guys, I was checking my PSU's sticker speccs on it, and was wondering, which is the real current amount?
It had different options like Peak Setting at 180W output, Max current, and many more.
The biggest current amount I saw was 30A, with lows like 15A, without recalling in which category they were, off my head.

--