Problems with the ATI AIW 9700 PRO!!! help please!

For some unknown reason while watching tv my computer locked up for about 40 seconds and then the display drivers kicked out! Said device failure and i clicked ok. The resolution got really really small and it was at 16color. I had to reboot and after it rebooting it was fine.

Does anyone else have this problem? COuld this be a problem withh my power supply i wonder!?

I'm also having a problem with the lower channels 2-6. These are local channels besides 5. They come in crappy and channel 6 is like it is blocked or something but it is a lcoal station. This channel is located where i live!!!

I did not have any of these problems with my old ati card i had.

Any thoughts!? please help!

er i forgot! i have a 400 watt antec power supply, 2 hard drives 2 cd-roms, zipdrive, floppy, santa cruz sound card (could it be conflicting with this card?), linksys nic pentium 4 2ghz, 512MB of ram (1 stick) and a bunch of USB devices. I mean a lot. like maybe 8 or more. anything else you guys would need? Like i said i never had this problem before with my old card.

Life is irrelivent and irrational.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by xxsk8er101xx on 02/14/03 10:12 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

oh common!!! stop talking about video cards and help a brotha out here!

Life is irrelivent and irrational.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

Cem

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2003
I can only say that it doesnt seem like a power supply problem. System restarts when it is something to do with psu. Maybe a driver problem. check for updates.

Sorry for no solution

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hmm, could be a power problem, XP is much better at crashing to the desktop than 9X, which would lock permanently. It could be heat as well.

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>

edwpang

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2001
I think it's probably a PS problem, since non-AIW 9700 Pro need at least 300W PS. AIW needs additional power for it's tuner and video/audio decoder chip. Besides, you have so many power hungry stuff like HDD, CD burner, ZIP, and etc. To find the cause of your problem, you can disconnect unneeded stuff and keep what are necessary to see if you can get rid of the problem.