Do I have an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro or 9700???

arretium

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2003
I purchased a video card from an internet website. I received the product yesterday, but I am concerned that I may have been jipped and I need some help.

My problem centers around the fact that I ordered an ATI RADEON 9700 PRO OEM. They called me shortly afterwards to state that they were discontinuing selling these products, and offered an alternative "identical" video card from another manufacturer. They gave me some information, available from their website, that indicated that I was getting the exact same product as an ATI RADEON 9700 PRO but from a different manufacturer. Stupid me I did not write down the information that they gave me. Moreover, the information that they alluded to is not readily available at their website.

Well, anyway, I received the product and became immediately concerned. There is not anyway for me to distinguish the product between the ATI 9700 PRO and the ATI 9700. Now, I'm sure you all are well aware of the significant price diffferences between the products. Due to the fact that my system is different from comparable tom's hardware reviews, I can't simply load up quake 3 and test the frame rates and see what I get it. I need something better than that. I need your help. How can I figure out what type of ATI based Radeon 9700 card that I have, whether it be a 9700 or a 9700 PRO?

I've tried to utilize some tools from ATI such as the "ATI Inspector" and the "ATIInfo". Both of those tools state that I have an ATI R300 with 128 MB of DDR SGRAM. I know that already. The drivers state that I have an ATI RADEON 9700 SERIES, which could mean that I do or do not have the PRO version.... What I ***REALLY*** need to know is the clock speed of the R300 chip and the corresponding clock speed of the RAM..if I could find THAT OUT, I could figure out whether I have an ATI 9700 PRO or just the ATI 9700. Likewise, if someone has an alternative method for me to figure this out, or any additional info that may help, I would greatly appreciate it.

I appreciate in advance your thoughtful and kind help in this matter.

arretium

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2003
It appears that I have finally found the answer.

I got a little agreesive and decided to scratch my normal search routines and start using google. I looked up +utils +radeon +9700 +PRO +overclock. I found a website, perhaps you are all familiar with, that specializes in providing information and software to people that like to overclock. The program I found is called "RivaTuner". You may have heard of it. It seems reputable enough and it listed my memory clock frequencies. After checking it over with Tomshardware.com, I discovered that I do in fact have the PRO version of the card....much to my relief.

If anyone knows of some other way to determine clock speed of the memory and R300 chip or another method entirely of determining whether or not you have a PRO or normal 9700, please post to this thread for the convience of our fellow members.

The website where you can find rivatuner is available at: http://www.guru3d.com

OzzieBloke

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2001
You could have looked at the memory chips on the card, read the serial numbers on them.... if they end in "28", you have 2.8 ns memory, thus the Pro. If you have "33" as the last number, you have 3.3 ns memory, for the non-pro, though some OEMs go as low as using 4 ns memory.

-

I plugged my ram into my motherboard, but unplugged it when I smelled cooked mutton.