Need advice re Video Card

Kimbo

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Can anyone out there help me? My video card went "bad." I need to replace it, but I don't know what to buy. I have a Gateway computer (GP7-500MHZ), bought new in Oct. 1999. I called Gateway and bought a video card that they recommended (RADEON 7000, 32 MB, AGP 4X/2X). My operating system is Windows 98-2E. The card did not work, was defective or incompatible - I'm not sure which. I have a VX700 17" monitor. I use my PC for word processing, the internet and maintaining 2 websites. No games. The card that originally came with my computer is a NVIDIA RIVA TNT2, Model 64. I've read about video cards, especially at Googlegear.com. But, this is confusing stuff. I need help!

LtBlue14

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
did you install the proper drivers for the radeon card? and uninstall the nvidia drivers?
you need to do both of these things
the reason i say that is because the radeon 7000 should have worked fine, and i don't think buying a different card will solve your problems
if all else fails, just buy another TNT2 64MB and replace the old one, that way you don't even have to touch the drivers

--------------

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">mubla otohp eht ni ecaf ruoy teg</A>

redface

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2003
Did you try to reinstall your Windows and everything?
What do you mean by "did not work? Were you able to see the boot up screen? Did your computer hang when going into Windows?
Make sure your video card is plugged into the AGP slot correctly (fully into the slot).

If you can see the boot up screen but failed to get into Windows, then maybe you should consider backing-up your stuffs, format your disk and reinstall the whole thing again(Windows..etc).

A fine day!