Rebooting due to heat?

frewOFstew

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2001
I have a rebooting to desktop problem in some game play and in approx. the same part of the "new 3dmark" benchmark. After running the new 3dmark many times, at many settings, I found that I keep rebooting in approx. the same part of the test (the beginning or end of "cpu test 1" or at the very beginning of "cpu test 2"). When this happens...I touch the rear of the card where the nvidia chip is located and it feels very hot. Is it possible that my video card is rebooting due too heat under load? Is there a way to fix this?

redface

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2003
I think that when the card becomes overheated your machine will just hang.
My voodoo3, radeon 7200 were very hot as well but they are working properly.
I think since it tests the cpu processing power in cpu test 1&2, I think you should focus your problem on the CPU.
Are you using AMD or Intel? What model?

A fine day!

frewOFstew

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2001
I am using an amd 2100+ xp palamino with a volcano 6+ fan. Can you tell me what it is about the processing power that may be lacking on my processor during these tests and in games? I am running at default core voltage of 1.75 and am not overclocked.

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
I wonder if it is a wattage issue with your power supply?
Maybe not since it seems like the problem would have manifest itself before. On the other hand, if your card is cooking, it may be drawing more than it ever has before. What kind of graphics card is it?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Twitch on 02/18/03 00:53 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

frewOFstew

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2001
NVidia GF4 ti4200 128mb. I've had the rebooting happen in games before...but I was always able to get the card too respond properly after fooling around with driver or bios settings. It was just that in the new 3d benchmark...I noticed that it was happening in approximately the same area of the test. Now, I was thinking that it is due to heat under load at approx. this length of time into the tests or, as redface has mentioned, it was due to cpu performance (due to it happening in the cpu test 1 & 2). I've read of people having reboot problems...and they each seem to have differnt hardware setups. Some have tried changing psu, ram, etc., and have still been unable to get to the cause. There, doesn't seem to be any specific fixes for this problem. I am ready to try a different cpu to rule out the theory we are discussing in this thread...but I am not sure if the problem is related to this part. I've yet to read a thread... wherein there was some specific reason that this is happening among folks with different hardware setups; and usually under graphic load.

jankphil

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
i would recommend a different hsf, my old volcano 6+cu did a horrible job cooling my 1900+ (usually kept it around 50+ degrees) and the sound was unbarable, now i have a volcano 9 set to low rpm (around 2,000) and it keeps the temp around 45*C full load, so try maybe putting some money into a new hsf...Although i could be completely wrong and it could be your power supply ;)

"What kind of idiot are you?"
"I don't know, what kinds are there?"

frewOFstew

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2001
Thanx. I wrote the manufacturer of the card and told them everthing I could think of...system secs, temps, driver and bios settings and and cards behavior. I asked them if they could help me remedy the problem. Their answer was to RMA it for a new one. I am not sure if this will help...I hope to try a different cpu and maybe psu before I opt to do this. Maybe it is a card defect. The manufacturer didn't give the reason for deciding to change card...instead of having me try other things. Maybe they've had a few complaints...but there is no way to know. Just wondering if this will solve the problem...guess I won't know till I try. Anyway, I would still appreciate all input.