Will this combo work well???

MrMorden

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2003
Hello--

I am interested in buying a Radeon 9700 Pro to replace my GeForce 3 card. My machine has the following specs:

AthlonXP 2000+ (266 Bus)
1GB PC2100 DDR RAM
Abit KG-7 RAID Motherboard

Will a 9700 Pro work well on this setup? I Don't think I'll be too CPU/RAM bottlenecked, but I'm not sure.

Also, I've been looking hard at the Crucial 9700 Pro card...$319 with a lifetime warranty. Thoughts on that as well?

Thanks!

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
Read the THG article recently posted comparing 65 CPU's. It will be good for you, because all the tests were run on a 9700. That is, if you want to know the relative performance of the 9700 with that CPU. Just remember, if the game is CPU intensive (Quake3 engine), you will be a fair amount slower than systems with a high-end processor, though you should be able to play the games without any noticeable problems. If the game is graphics-card intensive (Aquanox) then the processor is not as important.

FYI, I am running a 9700 on my Athlon 1800+ with DDR266 and it is very sweet. It runs everything that's current flawlessly. Your proposed system will be somewhat faster. I plan on upgrading to a new processor in about 6 months, though, since I believe newer games (Comanche) will show a much more noticeable benefit from newer technologies.

MrMorden

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2003
Cool, thanks Twitch.

I figured I'd be okay. Back when I was single I'd buy the best box I could and keep it for a couple of years and then replace it. Now that I'm married my upgrades have been more...incremental. =8^)