Is DVI input for LCD important

maninblue

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2005
Hi everybody,

I want to buy a LCD monitor in a few days but it is hard to choice. I wonder that is the DVI support important for LCDs. What is the advantages of DVI input. Thank you...

palmerg

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2005
DVI is Digital Video Input. The more common connection is RGB or D-Sub connector which is an analog connection:
- DVI means there is no conversion from analog signal to the digital signal your monitor needs. Although subtle, it usually mean an increase in speed and some quality since there is no signal loss with straight DVI signals.
- Analog signals have the potential for signal loss, usually small, but sometimes they will allow for more resolutions to be displayed. This is not usually a big deal for LCDs because they all have a native resolution which is what the LDC is optimized to display.
For the most part it you can do full DVI from adapter to monitor you should. In my opinion.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Palmerq basically summed it up, but you have to realize it comes down the actual LCD. On some there really isn't a difference, on others there may be. Take a look at the specific panel before you buy it after having read some reviews and then decide. Remember, DVI-A, although DVI, is actually analog and not digital. DVI-D is digital.

<font color=white>XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX</font color=white>
<font color=green>XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX</font color=green>
<font color=red>XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX</font color=red>