antiquoi

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2003
I need to get a new card, and am trying to discern the difference between the GeForce4 MX440 w/ 64mb and one w/ 128mb? Would I really notice a difference? I don't know much about this stuff, so would really appreciate your help. Is it worth the money difference ($20), would it last longer w/o upgrade? I run a PIII w/ 384RAM. Thanks.

bloaty

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2002
Well they are both awful videocards, so i guess that makes them very similar then.
Get either a radeon 9000, 8500, 8500LE, 9100, or even a geforce3. Memmory at 64 or 128 wont make much of a differnce for you on any of these cards.
For the love of god do not purchase an MX videocard.

Sex is like a card game, if you dont have a good partner you better have a good hand.

dhlucke

Polypheme
Whatever you do, don't fall asleep...I mean buy a MX card.

Seriously...

Buy either a GeForce3 or whatever Radeon card that is competative. Which I believe is either a 9100/8500, or a 9000.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">If you were to have sex with your clone would that be considered incest or masturbation?</A></font color=red>

goatcheese

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2003
I'm surprised to see all the posts against the GeForce4 MX440. From what I could tell (and maybe I need glasses), it gives good power for the money.

It doesn't compare to a GeForce 4 Ti or a Radeon 9700 Pro, but it also is a fraction of the cost.

Obviously, it's not a gamer's graphics card, but what's wrong with it for general purpose computing and maybe even a couple of light games?

I haven't seen any other recent cards with as much performance for the money. Plus, because it's recent, it's still supported (is a GeForce 3 or Radeon 7xxx or 8xxx even supported anymore, and if so, for how much longer?). There are faster GeForce 2 and 3 cards, but I doubt you can rely on updated drivers.

I personally decided not to buy ATI cards anymore after I received horrible support from them on multiple occassions. I realize that they are the current speed champ, but that's just for the moment. Someone will undoubtedly top them soon enough.

Now maybe I need to look around a little more, but last time I looked I didn't see any graphics cards under $70 that had anything near the performance of a GeForce 4 MX440. And if you're not running 3D games, will you even notice any difference at all (even in Photoshop) if you ran a more expensive graphics card?

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
At the same price of GF4 MX440, you can get a R9000 (non-Pro). It's at least as fast as GF4 MX-440, and have DX8 pixel and vertrex shader, which will result in better image quality and lower dependence on CPU for pulling out faster fps.

Instead of GF4 MX460, you can buy Radeon 8500 (full), which is much faster than GF4 MX460 and has same benefits of R9000 over GF4 MX440. Plus it costs equal or little less than GF4 MX460.

And GF4 MX420...blah blah blah, this crap can't beat even GF2 GTS

<b> "You can put lipstick on a pig, but hey, it's still a pig!" - RobD </b>

RobD

Champion
A vid card at this money is going to have absolutely no future proofing whatsoever. As he's running a PIII, I would say at some point in the not too distant future he'll upgrade the h/w. Now if he buys this card, he's never gonna have a good rig, there'll always be some imbalance. He upgrades the mobo/cpu/ram to a decent machine, but is stuck with a lemon of card. So he upgrades that and so on and so on ad infinitum...

A good card that will last a lot longer than the MX would be, say the R9100, or 8500 to give it it's true name. And it's not much more expensive, and will give a much better cost against lifespan balance.

is a GeForce 3 or Radeon 7xxx or 8xxx even supported anymore, and if so, for how much longer
Well, the short answer is yes. They still make the things, and the GF3 and R8xxx wipe the floor with their MX etc counterparts. They're good, well built, resilient card. An MX card will last mere months. It's a stop gap, nor more than an inbetween card (As in inbetween a proper card). A true card, like a Ti or R8500 etc, will last, IMO, 1-2 years. Friend of mine has a GF3ti5, has had for a long time and loves it. Does everything he wants it to and more. Point is it'll last. Do the math.

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
You're welcome! But the reason of the sig was 128 MB GeForce2 MX400, not a GF4 MX. Anyway, this also applies for 128 MB GF4 MX cards (if they exist, I'm still to find one)

<b> "You can put lipstick on a pig, but hey, it's still a pig!" - RobD </b>

goatcheese

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2003
I'll have to take a look at the R9000 (non-Pro). You are correct that they are about the same price as the G4MX440.

Of course I don't like giving any business to ATI after they delivered such poor support.

As for card longevity, they are all temporary. I remember spending top dollar on a top-of-the-line graphics card a few years back. Within months, it was outdated. Now, I just buy what I need right now, and what I might need in the near future.

The hardest part is finding good 2D benchmarks... everyone is so concerned about Quake and Unreal, that finding good 2D photoshop benchmarks has become a challenge.

BTW, it wouldn't surprise me if some of these less expensive boards actually have equal (or perhaps even better) 2D performance than some of the new top-of-the-line boards.

RobD

Champion
Don't let one bad experience put you off. I know that sometimes after being shat on you are loathe to go back, but I've heard a lot of people talk about the exceptionally <b>good</b> customer service from ATI recently.

And you could always go with one of their partners "Powered by ATI", then you wouldn't be dealing with ATI directly!

BTW, it wouldn't surprise me if some of these less expensive boards actually have equal (or perhaps even better) 2D performance than some of the new top-of-the-line boards
....and I can plait fog!!

goatcheese

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2003
"can plait fog"...

I've heard that expression before. What does it mean, and where does it come from? I searched the net for it, and came up with a few examples, but none really gave a meaning.

RobD

Champion
Basically means "Do the impossible". Another little favourite is "Nail diareoa to the wall"*

You just can't do it!

*Apologies for the spelling, should have just said runnyshit!