DV7 display problem,

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachys

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
I have a HP DV7 (which I replaced its cracked screen), but now, when I turn the computer on the display lights on, but nothing shown on the screen.
I can work with external display with no problems at all!
I replaced 2 different flat cables
and 3 different panels
weird thing is that if I disconnect and reconnect the display cable (while the computer is on) suddenly the screen shows display, but it's distorted (green lines)
pc170078.jpg

Shot at 2011-12-18
pc170077hi.jpg

Shot at 2011-12-18

Any help would be appreciated!

zachys

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
the backlight is fine.
I turn the computer on - no display but light is on
disconnecting the display flat cable then reconnecting it- weird green lined display shown (the computer is still on during this process)

teleman56

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
have you checked the MB connection to the video output? It does seem there is a bad/loose connection somewhere.
considered the possibility that the video card is bad?
considered the possibility that the replacement may be faulty, also?

Personally I don't believe that making/undoing connections while under power is a very good process, but it's your machine :)

zachys

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
I agree, not a good idea to plug the screen while the computer is on, but I had to try and see any change.
regards the video card, as mentioned: external display works perfectly.
I will try another flat cable and another screen before I decide the MB is faulty.
thx for the support!
Zack

funguseater

Distinguished
Hi, just would like to say that I have encountered this problem on many IBM t41 series laptops, they output fine to VGA/svideo but LCD doesn't display or is red/green/magenta. In my case it was the on-board Graphics Chip needed to be "reflowed" to re-solder the connection. This worked on maybe a third (but I don't have pro gear, just a heat gun and some foil).

The HP-DV4 had MANY issues like this that might be worth searching out, Good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.