New! Need some direction

Hello Group,

Found this group just today.

Problem: Dell 4550 running slow.
Steps I have taken: Ran Norton Antivirus and online Panda scan both with
updated definitions. Ran all hardware diagnostics located on the Resource
disk (All checked out ok). Ran Ad Aware and Spyware doctor with no problems
found. Unchecked all Start Up options in 'msconfig' rebooted still running
slow. Then returned to normal. Restore back several restore points still
no go. Defrag using Perfect disk 7.0 still no change.

I still believe there is a configuration problem somewhere. The reason I do
not call Dell is that I suffer from a hearing impairment and it is very
difficult to make sense out of what they are trying to tell me. Many of
them have a heavy accent that is hard to understand anyway.

Let me get to the point. I think my only hope is to do a new disk format
and re-installation. This is something that I have never attempted I have
not been able to find information at Dell support on steps to do this. Any
help would be appreciated.

The following is my systems setup:
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 1 (build 2600)

Processor: 2.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4, 8 kilobyte primary memory
cache,512 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Circuit board:: Dell Computer Corp. Bus Clock: 400 megahertz BIOS: Dell
Computer Corporation A08 09/23/2003

Memory: 768 Megabytes Installed Memory

Display: 32MB ATI Rage 128 Ultra [Display adapter]
Default Monitor

Sound: SoundBlaster Live

Thanks,
Greg

Infinion wrote:

> Let me get to the point. I think my only hope is to do a new disk
> format and re-installation. This is something that I have never
> attempted I have not been able to find information at Dell support on
> steps to do this. Any help would be appreciated.

The system came with a recovery disk. If you insert this CD, and reboot,
you'll see how to do this.

Try the other things that are mentioned, and only use the recovery disk as a
last resort.

Ed

It didn't come with a recovery disk. It came with an XP disk, a driver disk
and disks for each application

Tom
"Ed Wurster" <ea_wurster@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Infinion wrote:
>
>> Let me get to the point. I think my only hope is to do a new disk
>> format and re-installation. This is something that I have never
>> attempted I have not been able to find information at Dell support on
>> steps to do this. Any help would be appreciated.
>
> The system came with a recovery disk. If you insert this CD, and reboot,
> you'll see how to do this.
>
> Try the other things that are mentioned, and only use the recovery disk as
> last resort.
>
> Ed

> Steps I have taken: Ran Norton Antivirus and online Panda scan both with
> updated definitions.

I don`t have any recent experience with Norton, but it used to slow
systems down horribly. It might be worth uninstalling it to see if that
makes a difference. Its virus checking abilities are dubious anyway :-}

Infinion wrote:
> Thanks for your help but unfortunately this system did not come with a
> recovery disk. I have had it for two years and it has ran like a top.
> Excluding a few minor glitches which I figured out myself. Can't call
> Dell
> cause simply I can't hear them well enough to understand them. <Grin>.
> Surely somewhere, there is simple instructions on how to reformat in
> NTFS
> format. The installation of Windows XP, drivers and applications I'm
> sure I
> can figure out myself.
>
> Thanks again,
> Greg

If I recall correctly, when you insert the XP CD, boot and tell it you
want to install windows, it gives you the option to format the drive
(deleting everything on the drive) and in which format you want (NTFS).
Just follow along.

This is good if you have the XP CD not the recovery disk - because I've
never had one of those and hope to never have one. I believe that
recovery discs only let you put the system back to as bought - not start
over and put what you want.
--
Cynthia
I don't read Hotmail - To mail me: cynthiag at canadiensfan dot com

Just another thought before you wipe the slate clean. Seems to me I
remember some time ago a post about a Microsoft Office program slowing down
a computer, doing something even though the program wasn't "running:.
Anyway, Try a Google search around some of your "problem" parameters and
maybe you'll hit on a solution. For instance go to advance search and type
in Microsoft Office and for exact phrase put in Slows computer. A number of
links to problems and hopefully solutions to slow computer pop up.
Just a thought.

steverad wrote:
> Just another thought before you wipe the slate clean. Seems to me I
> remember some time ago a post about a Microsoft Office program
> slowing down a computer, doing something even though the program
> wasn't "running:. Anyway, Try a Google search around some of your
> "problem" parameters and maybe you'll hit on a solution. For instance
> go to advance search and type in Microsoft Office and for exact
> phrase put in Slows computer. A number of links to problems and
> hopefully solutions to slow computer pop up. Just a thought.

I believe you mean "Fast Find."

Ed