weirdest graphic prob or worse??

Triptonizer

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2001
I'm a music producer who uses his pc daily on a consumer level, here's my problem:

recently I got the weirdest graphic problems (almost daily!), I'll try to decribe them: after working for a while in Cubase or Reaktor (audio progs), the graphics start to blur, more specifically, e.g. the lines that indicate bars and beats disappear leaving a grey mess, waveform displays are also affected (a few pixels instead of solid lines)...
And it gets worse, if I keep the computer running, the OS itself starts acting up, windows appear garbled, the mouse doesn't show up anymore, there's no respons to the keyboard, and finally I have to do a cold reboot.
I have no clue what's going on, I've checked for virusses if that's what you're thinking, could be the graphic card I suppose, but I'm worried it's the hd (could it?)....

Any help greatly appreciated!!

P4 1.5GHz -- NVidia GeForce2 MX400 -- Maxtor DiamondMax Plus UATA/133

selfbuilt

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
Sounds like overheating. If you have a diagnostic program that came with your motherboard, you can try running it to monitor the case and CPU temperature (although the graphics card could also be the problem). If they shoot up too high, you are likely to begin experiencing errors.

Another easy test to try is to open the side panel once you start to experience problems and see if that helps (it lets the heat out). It's not recommended running your computer this way, but it would let you know if heat is your problem.

If so, simplest solution (assuming no permanent damage to the hardware) would be to add a couple of case fans. Preferably an intake fan at the front of the chassis (i.e. blows into the the case) and an exhaust fan at the back (i.e. blows out of the case). In fact, this is the minimum recommended setup with all AMD chips. You can pick these fans up for a few bucks at any computer or electronic parts supply store. Definitely well worth the investment!

Where does good judgement come from? Experience. Where does experience come from? Bad judgement.

LtBlue14

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
did you change anything that might have made these things happen? (if so, it sounds like a software problem)
otherwise it does sound like hardware going back, quite possibly your video card
probably not your hard drives since you can restart and have no problems for a while
it could be heat, as the other guy said
try replacing your video card with a real cheap one (just stick with the geforce 2 mx400, to make thing simpler - no driver reinstallations when you install it)
you can pick up one of those cards for $35-40 USD off of www.pricewatch.com
are you in america? if not you'll likely not be able to buy off of a number of the sites you'll see on pricewatch

--------------

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">mubla otohp eht ni ecaf ruoy teg</A>