Half Sized PCI Video Cards

BenGarvey

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2003
We have a bunch of machines with those half-sized PCI slots and need to upgrade the video cards. They currently have onboard video and no AGP slot. I'm looking for some half-sized PCI Video Cards in the 32MB - 128MB range. So far I've found squat. Does anyone know if these exist?

Ben
bengarvey@garvey.com

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I once saw a Radeon 7000 PCI that was half height...but this is a very weak card, probably not much better than your onboard video. In fact, PCI is a very weak interface to support video anyway.

Now that you're learning why people in the know DON'T buy machines that lack full height AGP slots, you'll know what to buy next time.

If you want to trade those in on similar (refurbished) machines with AGP slots, I deal with a lot of venders and might be able to get you a great bargain.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
He was refering to a standard Flex ATX form factor case, which is similar to Micro ATX (IBM's NetVista actually has room for a small mATX board, because it has four slots), but most Flex systems use 2 half height slots.

Probably the most popular Flex ATX system of this style was the Gateway Essentials PC. Compaq and IBM also made them.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>