bat888

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2003
I just put together a pc with a Gigabyte GA-8INXP, 512MB pc400 DDR(single), Radeon AIW9700 and a Intel 2.4M Cpu with WinXP Pro. Problem is, it crashes all the time. Doesn't seem to have any rhime or reason for it, varies with what I'm doing but doesn't seem to be consistent. Anyone had any experience with a similar setup? Video card drivers are extensive, might be a problem there, question is how to prove it?
Thanks

dhlucke

Polypheme
What power supply are you using. Random crashes and errors are generally either the powersupply or bad memory. Is your memory generic?

<font color=red>GOD</font color=red> <font color=blue>BLESS</font color=blue> <font color=red>AMERICA</font color=red>

bat888

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2003
I am using a Samsung PC400 512MB single DDR module for ram. The power supply is new, but I have to admit, I scrimped on this, the case and 350W supply were C$30. I do have a voltage conditioner in front of it as well.
Bruce

dhlucke

Polypheme
Install motherboard monitor
<A HREF="http://mbm.livewiredev.com/" target="_new">http://mbm.livewiredev.com/</A>

See if any of the rails on your PSU are way off or if they are way off when it crashes.

<font color=red>GOD</font color=red> <font color=blue>BLESS</font color=blue> <font color=red>AMERICA</font color=red>

14Dx

Distinguished
May 5, 2002
See if the command rate is at 1T or 2T. This is a memory option in BIOS somewhere. My comp crashed all the time when i had it set at 1T (which is better somehow) but is fine at 2T.

If its not broken, you're not trying hard enough.

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
sounds like a power supply problem to me too. you've got some really power hungry components there.
Do you have a better psu anywhere that you could try in your new machine?

<font color=red> -- </font color=red><font color=blue>A bush in the hand is worth two birds at the bar</font color=blue>

I have a similar setup and had similar problems. First, update the BIOS for the mobo. Then, download and install the lastest chipset drivers from Intel. This should fix the problem, but you will still crash occasionally. (One of the ATi files gets stuck in an infinate loop and crashes the video). The problem occured as soon as I tried adjusting the refresh rate above 60Hz. Updating the BIOS and chipset drivers almost eliminated the problem... but it still crashes in the same way from time to time. I'm hoping another driver update or BIOS update will completely fix this issue.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

I forgot to mention... when I said I have a similar setup, I mean I have the same mobo with a 2.53GHz P4 and a regular Radeon 9700Pro. I also have 2x256MB DDR 333 modules installed. Try the two suggestions I made above... they should get you up and running... they worked for me at least.

The only thing I didn't try was lowering my AGP to 4x. Didn't get around to trying it, because the system is stable enough the way it is. If it's still an issue, I'll try it though. I notice that the mobo's manual says you should be able to force AGP 8x, but the only options I have are AGP 4x or Auto. It could be that auto-detect that's causing the issue... the drivers do detect AGP 8x.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

bat888

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2003
Thanks for the replies. I had sent my card back to ATI for repair and they sent back a different one saying my original one had no problem but to try this. In the mean time I followed the advice given and replaced the supply with an Enermax EG365PVE. I then borrowed a 4xAGP Nvidia 128MB card from a friend and like a miracle, I had a stable machine! When the ATI card came back I reinstalled all software and it works better but still crashes. I will give your bios update a try and let you know. If it's relatively stable I will probably live with it, but I'm close to giving it up after having a bulletproof machine for a couple of weeks, it's hard to go back even if the card has more features.

When all the pieces work, it just seems to make it all worthwhile!

bat888

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2003
I updated the bios and it basically makes no difference that I can detect. The machine crashes when I run the TV feature on a regular basis. The crash report indicates that the MMC driver was at fault which makes sense. I ran the ATI supplied fault report that came on the disk to send them info and it only reports 4xAGP for some reason.

mrjeejay99

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2003
Are you using "Intel Application Accelerator" ???
If yes try uninstalling it...or format your pc(ouch!! i know it pains, but it worked for me) and don't, don't install "Intel Application Accelerator".
Then disable "Fast Write" and "Write combining" in your display setting.

It worked for me man....
I really hope it works for you too.....since i have done most of what u have done....

Write to me if it works....

If you love something set it free, if it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it !!!

bat888

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2003
Hey, thanks for the reply, I was following the previous suggestions and found success when selecting 4xAGP instead of Auto in the bios settings. I'm not pleased that the video drive doesn't behave well in Auto but otherwise the system performs extremely well so I'm going to stop there. Hopefully ATI will improve the drivers for 8xAGP over time and since most apps don't take advantage of 8x, I guess I can wait for a while.
Take care

Yes, I'm happy (sort of) to say that forcing 4X mode worked for me also. I don't think it can be blamed solely on the ATi drivers though; I think the auto-detect routine that Gigabyte uses may be at fault as well. I'm hoping a new BIOS will completely fix the problem and allow us to force 8X mode rather than selecting 'Auto'.

Fast writes and everything else works just fine. I have all my visual settings cranked to highest quality, except for anti-aliasing. I have that set to 2X and still get great visual quality and sufficient framerates... even at 1600x1200.

:smile:

Oh... and I'm using the latest version of Intel's Application Accelerator as well as the latest version of their chipset software.