KMW: Abomination Clan Rules

New Clan: Abomination
Kindred Most Wanted introduces a new clan: Abomination. The members of this
clan are printed with the Scarce and Sterile traits. The rules for those
terms, and others, are collected section 11 of the new KMW rulebook.

The default sect of an Abomination is Independent (in case anyone wants to
impersonate one).

Note that the Abomination library card (printed in Final Nights) creates a
vampire of the Abomination clan (errata to that card), so having one of
those out will increase the scarce penalty of a crypt card Abomination.

--
Colin "Eryx" Goodman
Samedi Primogen

    I am so dissappointed in Allonzo. In the Rage card game this guy was
    big and scary. What is he doing with Serpentis? He is a werewolf for
    f**k's sake!!! Where are all of his combat disciplines and abilities?
    He was a Shadow Lord, a purveyor of intrigue, power and pride. So he
    became a vampire. Yeah that sort of messes with your mind when you
    become your arch enemy. You suffer Harano, which is like depression
    kicked up a notch or two. So give him some stupid drawback....but give
    him some combat baby!!! Where is his potence? He should have Celerity
    at the very least. Werewolves are combat machines!!!

    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005, tigernat1 wrote:

    > I am so dissappointed in Allonzo. In the Rage card game this guy was
    > big and scary. What is he doing with Serpentis? He is a werewolf for
    > f**k's sake!!! Where are all of his combat disciplines and abilities?
    > He was a Shadow Lord, a purveyor of intrigue, power and pride. So he
    > became a vampire. Yeah that sort of messes with your mind when you
    > become your arch enemy. You suffer Harano, which is like depression
    > kicked up a notch or two. So give him some stupid drawback....but give
    > him some combat baby!!! Where is his potence? He should have Celerity
    > at the very least. Werewolves are combat machines!!!

    You're assuming that what you see in the preview is all there is to
    Allonzo. You might be right, but others have speculated that there might
    be some good Abomination Clan cards or that maybe there will be an
    advanced Allonzo which features him in his Crinos form or something like
    that.

    Matt Morgan

    > kicked up a notch or two. So give him some stupid drawback....but give
    > him some combat baby!!! Where is his potence? He should have Celerity
    > at the very least. Werewolves are combat machines!!!

    Please refer to the following cards:

    Typhonic Beast
    Skin of the Adder
    Jones
    Heart of Darkness (if you wish)

    With ani/aus, he can really make things hurt. (Raptors anyone?) He needs
    no potence to be a beat machine of doom. Vampires do not require potence
    or celerity to kill.

    Ankur Gupta
    Prince of West Lafayette

    "Colin Goodman" <colin.goodman2@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > New Clan: Abomination
    > Kindred Most Wanted introduces a new clan: Abomination. The members of this clan are printed with the Scarce and Sterile traits.
    > The rules for those terms, and others, are collected section 11 of the new KMW rulebook.
    >
    > The default sect of an Abomination is Independent (in case anyone wants to impersonate one).
    >
    > Note that the Abomination library card (printed in Final Nights) creates a vampire of the Abomination clan (errata to that card),
    > so having one of those out will increase the scarce penalty of a crypt card Abomination.

    Eh. So far, ho hum. We already have scarce bloodlines. I suppose they
    would have to create a new one to support the backstory but it has little
    game meaning.

    However, with some _clan_ cards it would definitely be more interesting. On
    the other hand, using clan cards with scarce AND sterile vampires is
    extremely awkward and difficult. How much so depends on whether there's a
    usable outferior, a burnable attribute, or other such mitigations. But either
    way, such cards better be pretty impactful or they'll never see daylight. (One
    last library card yet to be revealed. Hmmmm.)

    Fred

    Typhonic Beast would be great if our Mr. Montoya only had Potence!!! I
    believe there is STILL not a single vampire able to play this card to
    full effect out of the box. Wouldn't a Werewolf/vampire be the perfect
    candidate to champion this card? Apparently NOT.

    Skin of the Adder would be great too if there was some way to guarantee
    that your opponent won't play combat ends! I play Skin of the
    Adder....BEWARE MY SERPENTIS OF DOOM.....oh you Combat Ended. Great,
    why didn't I just play sneak and bleed with Serpentis? Hence the need
    for Celerity or preferable Potence.....even minor!

    The Jones counteracts combat ends..cool, but it requires you to be an
    older vampire. So I have to accept the fact that if I play 6 caps
    (like Allonso), I can only use it against 5 cap and below, or I play
    big vamps who have much better things to do than use The Jones, like
    Majesty and then perform some other useful action! Plus you STILL
    can't play The Jones against vamps who you really need to use it on,
    like Arika.

    Heart of Darkness: no need to even make a point.

    Come on, are you telling me that inferior ani and inferior aus are
    scary? Why play an inferior Raptor? Play Raven Spy for 1 less and get
    the same effect!

    Crinos form Abominations better be worth it!
    gNat

    Ankur Gupta wrote:
    > > kicked up a notch or two. So give him some stupid drawback....but
    give
    > > him some combat baby!!! Where is his potence? He should have
    Celerity
    > > at the very least. Werewolves are combat machines!!!
    >
    > Please refer to the following cards:
    >
    > Typhonic Beast
    > Skin of the Adder
    > Jones
    > Heart of Darkness (if you wish)
    >
    > With ani/aus, he can really make things hurt. (Raptors anyone?) He
    needs
    > no potence to be a beat machine of doom. Vampires do not require
    potence
    > or celerity to kill.
    >
    > Ankur Gupta
    > Prince of West Lafayette

    > With ani/aus, he can really make things hurt. (Raptors anyone?) He needs
    > no potence to be a beat machine of doom. Vampires do not require potence
    > or celerity to kill.

    Err, that was supposed to be "Murder of Crows, anyone?". Oops.

    Ankur Gupta
    Prince of West Lafayette
    "But I thought Aggripina really *did* have cel!"

    > Free stealth on a vampire that doesn't have obf or obt is definitely
    > more worthwhile than free stealth on a vampire which has ready access to
    > stealth - assuming you can build a deck that will use the stealth.

    Eh. I tend to think of it as a card-saving special, much like most other
    specials (+1 strength being one of the easier to demonstrate as such).
    There are quite a number of 0 or 1 stealth (serpentis) actions I'd love
    for my vampires to take. And gosh, if I could run lighter on the stealth,
    I could put in more of them. . . . WAIT! Here's a dude who does that!

    > Anyway, I don't find the fact that Alonzo has obfuscate to mitigate the
    > value of the free stealth as much as the fact that it can only be used
    > for serpentis actions. The latter is MUCH more to the point!

    Meh. If you're not using the stealth for serpentis actions, then there's
    probably a better vampire for your crypt anyway. Largely because you
    probably aren't using Serpentis to begin with. What I find completely
    mind-boggling is that people malign really really good vampires because
    they don't do what people want them to. . . Allonzo isn't intended to be
    just the bestest vampire ever (that's Arika, for those not in the know),
    but I'm sure I could (and will) build several decks in which he will be
    worth his weight in gold.

    I'd much prefer if people actually looked at vampires positively as to
    what they can do instead of what they can't. I'm sure it would have a
    positive impact on the game. Games need to be diverse and not homogenous
    piles of weenie bleed/vote/combat or whatever. I think we can all
    abstractly point to the "tournament metagame" as something that can
    generally be separated from other circumstances of V:TES play. Moreover, I
    think that most of us could agree that there are a few well-known
    archetypes in that style of games that do well. And that (again, generally
    speaking) they're not particularly innovative.

    To get on a soapbox, I think it's quite clear that the trend for V:TES is
    to allow for (and I could possibly argue "move towards") decks which
    toolbox. Things like "Instead of X copies of card Y, play X-2 copies of Y
    and 2 copies of Z". My best example is that of Stunt Cycle vs. Thrown
    Sewer Lid which does just that. But there are many others.

    There are quite a number of cards (and vampires!) which are making this
    subtle movement. Movements which make analyzing the game more difficult,
    allow players to include secondary effects to a main strategy which may
    play heavily in a particular game, lessening the opportunity cost of the
    cards themselves, and adding supporting library cards such that someone
    can actually *include* this wealth of new cards. To bring the point back
    around, Allonzo serves the purpose of opening up library slots for
    something other than stealth. This is good since you know, stealth doesn't
    do stuff on its own. It enables doing stuff.

    And Allonzo is all about doing stuff.

    At +1 stealth even.

    Ankur Gupta
    Prince of West Lafayette
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    David Zopf wrote:
    > ... a conditional stealth bonus special on a
    > minion with OBF already is (should be) of low value.

    That's like saying +1 strength on a minion with POT is of less value,
    or +1 intercept on a minion with AUS is of less value, or a built-in
    maneuver on a minion with CEL is of less value. Sure, those vamps
    easily could get the same effect and better by playing a card, but
    getting the benefit without needing to play a card is an enormous
    benefit, and has synergy with the cards they are likely to play.
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    James Coupe wrote:
    > In message <Pine.GSO.4.62.0502151423050.22117@peso.cs.duke.edu>,
    Ankur
    > Gupta <agupta@cs.duke.edu> writes:
    > >Allonzo isn't intended to be just the bestest vampire ever (that's
    > >Arika, for those not in the know),
    >
    > Grrr. How can that honour not go to Gratiano? Best. Vampire.
    Ever.

    I'm totally with you, James.

    John
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    "Ankur Gupta" <agupta@cs.duke.edu> wrote in message
    >> Free stealth on a vampire that doesn't have obf or obt is definitely
    >> more worthwhile than free stealth on a vampire which has ready access to
    >> stealth - assuming you can build a deck that will use the stealth.
    >
    > Eh. I tend to think of it as a card-saving special, much like most other
    > specials (+1 strength being one of the easier to demonstrate as such).
    > There are quite a number of 0 or 1 stealth (serpentis) actions I'd love
    > for my vampires to take. And gosh, if I could run lighter on the stealth,
    > I could put in more of them. . . . WAIT! Here's a dude who does that!

    It's a card-saving special either way. Question is, is it a card-saving
    special that saves you cards you _can_ use or _can't_ use. If they're cards
    you couldn't otherwise choose to use...WOW!...that's much better! Again,
    with the caveat that they'll mean anything in that deck.

    >> Anyway, I don't find the fact that Alonzo has obfuscate to mitigate the
    >> value of the free stealth as much as the fact that it can only be used
    >> for serpentis actions. The latter is MUCH more to the point!
    >
    > Meh. If you're not using the stealth for serpentis actions, then there's
    > probably a better vampire for your crypt anyway.

    You sound as if you build decks where vampires _only_ _ever_ take
    serpentis actions. In fact, you sound as if you can build such a deck.
    You can not. Allonzo WILL take actions that aren't serpentis actions,
    I don't care what you meant to use the stealth for. Each time he does,
    the limitation kicks in. That limitation WILL have an effect. And it
    will almost certainly mean more than the issue of whether he has
    obfuscate or not.

    > What I find completely
    > mind-boggling is that people malign really really good vampires because
    > they don't do what people want them to. . . Allonzo isn't intended to be
    > just the bestest vampire ever (that's Arika, for those not in the know),
    > but I'm sure I could (and will) build several decks in which he will be
    > worth his weight in gold.

    I don't know if you meant to include my comments above in that category
    but you chose to stick them underneath that quote. It was not intended
    to make malign Allonzo for not having a pure +1 stealth ability. I was
    just noting that the ability is of much more limited value than a pure +1
    stealth ability, for what it's worth. I don't think anyone will be able
    to judge what Allonzo is "intended to be" or not until (at least) we know
    what clan cards are available to him, if any.

    > And Allonzo is all about doing stuff.
    >
    > At +1 stealth even.

    Allonzo is about doing SOME stuff at +1 stealth.

    Fred
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    > It's a card-saving special either way. Question is, is it a card-saving
    > special that saves you cards you _can_ use or _can't_ use. If they're
    > cards you couldn't otherwise choose to use...WOW!...that's much better!
    > Again, with the caveat that they'll mean anything in that deck.

    I think that's really side-stepping the point. Any deck with serpentis
    actions *could* allow Allonzo to do them. More on this below.

    >>> Anyway, I don't find the fact that Alonzo has obfuscate to mitigate the
    >>> value of the free stealth as much as the fact that it can only be used
    >>> for serpentis actions. The latter is MUCH more to the point!
    >>
    >> Meh. If you're not using the stealth for serpentis actions, then there's
    >> probably a better vampire for your crypt anyway.
    >
    > You sound as if you build decks where vampires _only_ _ever_ take
    > serpentis actions. In fact, you sound as if you can build such a deck.
    > You can not. Allonzo WILL take actions that aren't serpentis actions,

    Sure to the part about "you can not". But, in decks with serpentis
    actions, you *can* make every effort (and I realize this next bit is a
    limitation) to have him take the serpentis actions. Now, my point stems
    partially from the fact that this is not really all that much of a
    limitation, if it is one at all in practice. Serpentis is one of those
    disciplines that you just don't get at superior consistently enough in
    your low-midcap range to build decks where you won't have some sacrifices
    made. Allonzo fits in as a vampire with SER, and a really strong special
    when you're using Serpentis at all. Your other guys do different things
    (bleed, diablerize, go make ham sandwiches, whatever) and Allonzo pushes
    through your Serpentis stuff. For all intents and purposes, that's +1
    stealth.

    > I don't care what you meant to use the stealth for. Each time he does,
    > the limitation kicks in. That limitation WILL have an effect. And it
    > will almost certainly mean more than the issue of whether he has
    > obfuscate or not.

    I don't understand this paragraph at all.

    >> What I find completely mind-boggling is that people malign really
    >> really good vampires because they don't do what people want them to. .
    >> . Allonzo isn't intended to be just the bestest vampire ever (that's
    >> Arika, for those not in the know), but I'm sure I could (and will)
    >> build several decks in which he will be worth his weight in gold.
    >
    > I don't know if you meant to include my comments above in that category
    > but you chose to stick them underneath that quote. It was not intended
    > to make malign Allonzo for not having a pure +1 stealth ability. I was

    Yeah, well, I don't mean them to apply wholly to your comments, but I do
    think you're underestimating the value of his special to the point that it
    could be considered maligning. I mean, heck, a vampire has two superior
    disciplines: SER/OBF. What would he go into decks to do? Well, use
    serpentis. When he takes those actions, he gets +1 stealth. That's pretty
    darned hot in my book. And it's really short-sighted to expect that he
    won't make 1 point worth of costing value out of that special.

    > just noting that the ability is of much more limited value than a pure +1
    > stealth ability, for what it's worth. I don't think anyone will be able
    > to judge what Allonzo is "intended to be" or not until (at least) we know
    > what clan cards are available to him, if any.

    Forget clan cards. As he is *right now*, he's good enough. I mean, it
    seems like we're quibbling over 0.5 points or some such. Why? Sure, it's
    more limited than simple, easy Lucretia-style +1 stealth, but for all
    practical purposes it's basically the same. I don't expect abominations to
    be a real clan with lots of members floating all over the place. So his
    scarce penalty will probably not be that big a deal. Nor will his
    sterility. Once you look at that, you think. . . He can't block undirected
    actions versus he gets +1 stealth when doing a bunch of stuff. Seems like
    more than a fair trade to me for a vampire loaded with OBF/SER.

    >> And Allonzo is all about doing stuff.
    >>
    >> At +1 stealth even.
    >
    > Allonzo is about doing SOME stuff at +1 stealth.

    Allonzo isn't going to be in your deck if he isn't doing MANY/MOST/ALL
    stuff at +1 stealth. Heck, build me a deck where Allonzo is a better
    choice than any other vampire you could put into the crypt to replace him
    AND you won't be using serpentis actions such that you can have him do
    them instead of someone else. That's when I'll believe that his special is
    really a limitation worth costing down.

    Ankur Gupta
    Prince of West Lafayette, IN
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    >>> Meh. If you're not using the stealth for serpentis actions, then there's
    >>> probably a better vampire for your crypt anyway.
    >>
    >> You sound as if you build decks where vampires _only_ _ever_ take
    >> serpentis actions. In fact, you sound as if you can build such a deck.
    >> You can not. Allonzo WILL take actions that aren't serpentis actions,
    >
    > Sure to the part about "you can not". But, in decks with serpentis
    > actions, you *can* make every effort (and I realize this next bit is a
    > limitation) to have him take the serpentis actions.

    Make all the effort you want, you won't be dictating the "efforts" your
    opponents and your decks make to the contrary. Your opponents have this
    tendency to play things like Paths and Powerbases and all sorts of damn
    things that make you want to take actions you hadn't designed the deck
    to take. And your library has to be pretty chock full of serpentis
    actions to prevent those periodic spells that will leave you without
    them several turns per game. More full than I think you'd want it to
    be.

    Anyway, my point was never to suggest it isn't a good idea to provide
    Serpentis actions for Allonzo to take. Just to say that +1 stealth on
    <DISCIPLINE> actions is signficantly less powerful than +1 stealth on
    all actions.

    > Your other guys do different things (bleed, diablerize, go make ham sandwiches, whatever) and Allonzo pushes through your
    > Serpentis stuff. For all intents and purposes, that's +1 stealth.

    Sorry, I just think it's naive to ever make that last statement.
    Unconditional +1 stealth is, for all intents and purposes, +1 stealth.
    <DISCIPLINE> +1 stealth never is.

    >> I don't care what you meant to use the stealth for. Each time he does,
    >> the limitation kicks in. That limitation WILL have an effect. And it
    >> will almost certainly mean more than the issue of whether he has
    >> obfuscate or not.
    >
    > I don't understand this paragraph at all.

    Just that the limitation to Allonzo's conditional stealth becomes
    significant to the extent you take non-serpentis actions. Because
    I assert that you will take plenty of non-serpentis actions with
    him no matter how you build your deck and no matter what you intend,
    the limitation is significant period. More significant than the
    issue of whether he already has a stealth discipline (obfuscate) or
    not (which is what David replied to David about that got me started).

    >> I don't think anyone will be able
    >> to judge what Allonzo is "intended to be" or not until (at least) we know
    >> what clan cards are available to him, if any.
    >
    > Forget clan cards. As he is *right now*, he's good enough.

    Didn't say he wasn't. But he might turn out to have some completely different
    uses than what (I'm guessing) you're envisioning right now. If so, he
    might not have quite as specialized a role in some decks, not that the role
    you're proposing for him is bad.

    > I don't expect abominations to be a real clan with lots of members floating all over the place. So his scarce penalty will
    > probably not be that big a deal.

    Scarce, obviously, doens't make him any worse than he'd be if he were just
    clanless - other than the trifling issue of using an Abomination library
    card. Sterile isn't much. Both come into play only if it ever becomes
    desirable to have multiple abominations. Thus, both might be a limit on
    future goodies (clan cards) applicable to the clan (that, for instance,
    we might find out about this upcoming Saturday). Additionally, scarce
    could become an issue if two or more Abomination vampires printed in
    consecutive groups or the same group are sufficiently similar or somehow
    symbiotic in a way that encourages players to use them together. In short,
    nothing we can see today makes either attribute problematic. They only
    limit the value of things we might discover and like about them in the
    future.

    Fred
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    "Colin Goodman" <colin.goodman2@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > New Clan: Abomination
    > Kindred Most Wanted introduces a new clan: Abomination. The members of
    > this clan are printed with the Scarce and Sterile traits. The rules for
    > those terms, and others, are collected section 11 of the new KMW rulebook.
    >
    > The default sect of an Abomination is Independent (in case anyone wants to
    > impersonate one).
    >
    > Note that the Abomination library card (printed in Final Nights) creates a
    > vampire of the Abomination clan (errata to that card), so having one of
    > those out will increase the scarce penalty of a crypt card Abomination.

    Heh. There's a card that sooo did _not_ need to be made worse. Yah,
    well... I gues it makes things consistent.

    So yeah, Alonzo is fairly underpowered; 6 points of disciplines with one
    mildly beneficial special against three drawbacks (Scarce, sterile, cannot
    block undirected actions) for a 6 cap. Someone please show me the math on
    how this prices out right? Are those three drawbacks considered zero point?

    *Shrug* Maybe there'll be some kickass clan-specific card which will make
    them more worth playing. Something to put them in Crinos form, and give 'em
    POT CEL PRO for the duration of a combat, or some such foolishness. :-)

    DZ
    AW
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    David Zopf <david_zopf@snet.net> wrote:
    > So yeah, Alonzo is fairly underpowered; 6 points of disciplines
    > with one mildly beneficial special against three drawbacks (Scarce,
    > sterile, cannot block undirected actions) for a 6 cap. Someone
    > please show me the math on how this prices out right? Are those
    > three drawbacks considered zero point?

    6-caps get 6 points.

    +6 pts: disciplines
    +1 pt: serpentis stealth
    -1/4: scarce
    -1/4: sterile
    -1/2: cannot block undirected actions
    ----
    6 pts

    > DZ
    > AW

    Kevin M., Prince of Henderson, NV (USA)
    "Know your enemy, and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
    you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
    "Contentment... Complacency... Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    "David Zopf" <david_zopf@snet.net> wrote in message news:aXoQd.30775$by5.10138@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com...
    > So yeah, Alonzo is fairly underpowered; 6 points of disciplines with one
    > mildly beneficial special against three drawbacks (Scarce, sterile, cannot
    > block undirected actions) for a 6 cap. Someone please show me the math on
    > how this prices out right? Are those three drawbacks considered zero point?

    "mildly benefial" against three "mostly unnoticeable" drawbacks.

    How much would you like Scarce and Sterile to be worth?
    They affect deck construction a bit, but are thusly worked around (or
    at least, can be).

    --
    LSJ (vtesrep@white-wolf.com) V:TES Net.Rep for White Wolf, Inc.
    V:TES homepage: http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

    "David Zopf" <david_zopf@snet.net> wrote in message
    > *Shrug* Maybe there'll be some kickass clan-specific card which will make
    > them more worth playing. Something to put them in Crinos form, and give
    > 'em POT CEL PRO for the duration of a combat, or some such foolishness.
    > :-)
    >\

    'Bay and Howl" maybe? I have hope, again...

    DZ
    AW
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    "Colin Goodman" <colin.goodman2@ntlworld.com> escribió en el mensaje
    > New Clan: Abomination
    > Kindred Most Wanted introduces a new clan: Abomination. The members of
    this
    > clan are printed with the Scarce and Sterile traits. The rules for those
    > terms, and others, are collected section 11 of the new KMW rulebook.
    >
    > The default sect of an Abomination is Independent (in case anyone wants to
    > impersonate one).
    >
    > Note that the Abomination library card (printed in Final Nights) creates a
    > vampire of the Abomination clan (errata to that card), so having one of
    > those out will increase the scarce penalty of a crypt card Abomination.

    Yes! Now let's see if there is a Hrothulf ADV following Allonzo on the
    checklist. Or any other able to mimetize Abomination's card text

    Question: If I already have a Abomination (crypt card) in play and create an
    Abomination (library card) do I have to pay the scarce cost?

    > --
    > Colin "Eryx" Goodman
    > Samedi Primogen
    > Cambridge UK
    > http://www.geocities.com/eryx_uk/Cambridge_by_night.html

  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    "Smiling Tom" <tmadico@almadrava.net> wrote in message news:37eihnF5arkldU1@individual.net...
    > Question: If I already have a Abomination (crypt card) in play and create an
    > Abomination (library card) do I have to pay the scarce cost?

    1) The library card is not marked "scarce", so it is not scarce.

    2) If it were scarce, the scarce rule would still only apply as written:
    "When you move a vampire marked scarce from your uncontrolled region to the ready
    region, you burn 3 pool for every other vampire of the same clan already in play."

    --
    LSJ (vtesrep@white-wolf.com) V:TES Net.Rep for White Wolf, Inc.
    V:TES homepage: http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/
    Though effective, appear to be ineffective -- Sun Tzu
  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    > Question: If I already have a Abomination (crypt card) in play and
    > create an Abomination (library card) do I have to pay the scarce cost?

    No. The scarce penalty is applicable when a card is moved from the
    uncontrolled region to the controlled region. At that moment, you check
    the scarce penalty.

    Ankur
  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005, Ankur Gupta wrote:

    > Eh. I tend to think of it as a card-saving special, much like most other
    > specials (+1 strength being one of the easier to demonstrate as such). There
    > are quite a number of 0 or 1 stealth (serpentis) actions I'd love for my
    > vampires to take. And gosh, if I could run lighter on the stealth, I could
    > put in more of them. . . . WAIT! Here's a dude who does that!

    The only real problem there and the thing that makes Allonzo look a little
    less than spectacular to me (until we see those great clan cards he'll
    get) is that most Serpentis decks use Followers of Set who have an Opium
    Den. Sure, you have to draw it and it's subject to Disputed Territory,
    Kine Dominance, Arika, etc. (as Allonzo is subject to PTO, Graverobbing
    and Wynn), but if you have it out it's pretty nice. It gives your guys a
    stealth on Serpentis actions. Oh, and non-Serpentis actions too.

    Matt Morgan
  21. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    >> Allonzo isn't intended to be just the bestest vampire ever (that's
    >> Arika, for those not in the know),
    >
    > Grrr. How can that honour not go to Gratiano? Best. Vampire. Ever.

    I think he forgot to turn in his application form in time. Deadline was
    around Dark Sovereigns. :)

    Ankur
  22. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    "Kevin M." <youwish@imaspammer.org> wrote in message
    > David Zopf <david_zopf@snet.net> wrote:
    >> So yeah, Alonzo is fairly underpowered; 6 points of disciplines
    >> with one mildly beneficial special against three drawbacks (Scarce,
    >> sterile, cannot block undirected actions) for a 6 cap. Someone
    >> please show me the math on how this prices out right? Are those
    >> three drawbacks considered zero point?
    >
    > 6-caps get 6 points.
    >
    > +6 pts: disciplines
    > +1 pt: serpentis stealth

    When it comes on a minion with OBF (easy stealth)? Maybe this is where I'm
    coming up short. I wouldn't value conditional stealth on a minion with OBF
    as any more than a 1/4 to 1/2 point special

    > -1/4: scarce
    > -1/4: sterile

    Agreed.

    > -1/2: cannot block undirected actions
    ....and I'd consider this to be a bigger drawback, especially when the minion
    bears aus as an "off discipline".

    Meh. I'll repeat myself, some good clan-specific cards could make all the
    difference..

    Thanks for the math, Kevin.

    DZ
    AW
  23. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 16:58:03 GMT, "David Zopf" <david_zopf@snet.net>
    wrote:

    >> 6-caps get 6 points.
    >>
    >> +6 pts: disciplines
    >> +1 pt: serpentis stealth
    >
    >When it comes on a minion with OBF (easy stealth)? Maybe this is where I'm
    >coming up short. I wouldn't value conditional stealth on a minion with OBF
    >as any more than a 1/4 to 1/2 point special

    I guess the point is that he has +1 stealth to actions that he can
    easily perform - he has [SER]. Saving slots on stealth cards is
    nothing to sneeze at. Conversely, the best Serpentis actions don't
    have inherent stealth: Form of Corruption and Temptation. Alonzo can
    play these cards better than any Setite - there's no OBF SER Setite
    below 7-cap yet. I'd consider it worth 1 point, yeah, even if these
    two does not require [ser] to be effective - the superior effect of
    these cards are quite good also.

    >> -1/4: scarce
    >> -1/4: sterile
    >
    >Agreed.

    I've heard these are attributes that doesn't give a vampire any
    points. Look for the Gargoyles and Ahrimanes. They don't seem to get
    that better from being slaves or sterile, specially if you account
    that there is room for 0.5 point variations up and down when it comes
    to big caps.

    >> -1/2: cannot block undirected actions
    >...and I'd consider this to be a bigger drawback, especially when the minion
    >bears aus as an "off discipline".

    Hm, it's just [aus] and it's not likely to be used with a minion with
    this particular discipline combination - he's hard to defend. I'd bet
    most decks will use him proactively with or without Auspex.

    >Meh. I'll repeat myself, some good clan-specific cards could make all the
    >difference..
    >Thanks for the math, Kevin.
    >DZ
    >AW

    best,

    Fabio "Sooner" Macedo
    V:EKN National Coordinator for Brazil
    --------------------------------------
    Now a "luminary", whatever it means:
    http://www.thelasombra.com/WhosWho/fabiomacedo.htm
  24. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    "LSJ" <vtesrep@white-wolf.com> wrote in message
    > "David Zopf" <david_zopf@snet.net> wrote in message
    >> So yeah, Alonzo is fairly underpowered; 6 points of disciplines with
    >> one
    >> mildly beneficial special against three drawbacks (Scarce, sterile,
    >> cannot
    >> block undirected actions) for a 6 cap. Someone please show me the math
    >> on
    >> how this prices out right? Are those three drawbacks considered zero
    >> point?
    >
    > "mildly benefial" against three "mostly unnoticeable" drawbacks.
    >
    > How much would you like Scarce and Sterile to be worth?
    > They affect deck construction a bit, but are thusly worked around (or
    > at least, can be).

    Agreed. I guess I don't consider them (scarce and sterile) to be too big of
    a drawback, and they aren't worth much. Kevin's take on the math kind of
    gelled the root of my objection; a conditional stealth bonus special on a
    minion with OBF already is (should be) of low value. A restriction
    onlocking undirected actions for a minion with aus is (should be) a moderate
    to high value drawback. Yah, well, as I said twice before, clan-specific
    goodies can make all the difference, and I'm only looking at one preview
    vampire in the proverbial Void... Its not as big a deal as my first post
    might have implied, maybe a difference of a half to one point.

    I can definitely see the logic in having the Abomination vampire card
    represent the Homid form of the critter, possibly having library cards for
    pushing it over into Crinos for the Big Combat effect. Its definitely
    better balance-wise than having the pre-packaged, high-cost monstrosities
    which some Samuel Haight fan-boys seem to be asking for across the various
    fora...

    And anyways, I suppose I should get in queue to do some playtesting if I
    _really_ wanted my comments taken seriously... ;-)

    Regards,
    DaveZ
    Atom Weaver
  25. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    David Zopf wrote:

    > Agreed. I guess I don't consider them (scarce and sterile) to be too
    > big of a drawback, and they aren't worth much. Kevin's take on the
    > math kind of gelled the root of my objection; a conditional stealth
    > bonus special on a minion with OBF already is (should be) of low
    > value.

    I disagree with this. I think it's worth about exactly as much as a
    permenant maneuver would be on a minion that has CEL. Probably more,
    since taking actions is better than beating people up.

    --

    David Cherryholmes
    david.cherryholmes@gmail.com

    "OK. So be it. It's not my view, but whatever makes you
    happy, right? I'm all about making you happy, Dave. :-)"

    -- LSJ, V:TES Net.Rep for White Wolf, Inc.
  26. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    "David Cherryholmes" <david.cherryholmes@duke.edu> wrote in message
    > David Zopf wrote:
    >
    >> Agreed. I guess I don't consider them (scarce and sterile) to be too
    >> big of a drawback, and they aren't worth much. Kevin's take on the
    >> math kind of gelled the root of my objection; a conditional stealth
    >> bonus special on a minion with OBF already is (should be) of low
    >> value.
    >
    > I disagree with this. I think it's worth about exactly as much as a
    > permenant maneuver would be on a minion that has CEL. Probably more,
    > since taking actions is better than beating people up.

    Free stealth on a vampire that doesn't have obf or obt is definitely
    more worthwhile than free stealth on a vampire which has ready access
    to stealth - assuming you can build a deck that will use the stealth.
    (Kevin Mergen and I were just arguing about the value of Jost on the
    www.vtesinla.org website.) The free maneuver on a vampire that doesn't
    have celerity is probably not a very good comparison since the
    existance of Fake Out tends to make that situation somewhat murky.
    But the assumption about being able to use the stealth is not a given,
    of course, which is the real problem with trying to get to the bottom
    of this issue. You're both right in certain circumstances.

    Anyway, I don't find the fact that Alonzo has obfuscate to mitigate the
    value of the free stealth as much as the fact that it can only be used
    for serpentis actions. The latter is MUCH more to the point!

    Fred
  27. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    David Zopf wrote:

    > So yeah, Alonzo is fairly underpowered

    Well, on the other hand, he is the only 6-cap with OBF SER, and the +1
    Serpentis stealth isn't too shabby.

    Although I do wish that there are some kick-ass clan cards for the
    Abominations, since otherwise poor Allonzo is just a watered-down
    Setite. Will be interesting to see what sort of discipline combos the
    other Abominations have.

    --CV
  28. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    "The Cadaverous Verger" <cadaverous.verger@REMOVETHISpriest.com> wrote in
    message news:cut90j$11mg$1@bowmore.utu.fi...
    > David Zopf wrote:
    >
    >> So yeah, Alonzo is fairly underpowered
    >
    > Well, on the other hand, he is the only 6-cap with OBF SER, and the +1
    > Serpentis stealth isn't too shabby.
    >
    > Although I do wish that there are some kick-ass clan cards for the
    > Abominations, since otherwise poor Allonzo is just a watered-down Setite.
    > Will be interesting to see what sort of discipline combos the other
    > Abominations have.

    possibilities, if only for their Garou-ish sounding names;

    Bay and Howl
    Follow the Alpha
    Pack Alpha

    ?

    DZ
    AW
  29. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 14:41:10 -0500, Ankur Gupta <agupta@cs.duke.edu>
    wrote:

    >I'd much prefer if people actually looked at vampires positively as to
    >what they can do instead of what they can't. I'm sure it would have a
    >positive impact on the game.

    I completely agree. I see him for what he is: a OBF SER 6-cap - which
    we didn't have until KMW - who can get Serpentis actions through a
    little easier, and probably has some actions to add that require his
    "clan". To counter, he doesn't have Presence, so you should prepare
    for that if using him. Sounds fair. If I want to play PRE/SER/OBF with
    a lot of Majesties, Temptations and stealth, I'd play group 2/3
    Setites without him - and would have to build for another problem, the
    overall high crypt I'd have to use to get the most of these
    disciplines.

    >To get on a soapbox, I think it's quite clear that the trend for V:TES is
    >to allow for (and I could possibly argue "move towards") decks which
    >toolbox. Things like "Instead of X copies of card Y, play X-2 copies of Y
    >and 2 copies of Z". My best example is that of Stunt Cycle vs. Thrown
    >Sewer Lid which does just that. But there are many others.

    Agreed. Moving towards toolbox is necessary - given the ever
    increasing possibilities the game has now, and the fact that you can't
    rely on doing the same thing over and over as new counter cards get
    released.

    >There are quite a number of cards (and vampires!) which are making this
    >subtle movement. Movements which make analyzing the game more difficult,
    >allow players to include secondary effects to a main strategy which may
    >play heavily in a particular game, lessening the opportunity cost of the
    >cards themselves, and adding supporting library cards such that someone
    >can actually *include* this wealth of new cards. To bring the point back
    >around, Allonzo serves the purpose of opening up library slots for
    >something other than stealth. This is good since you know, stealth doesn't
    >do stuff on its own. It enables doing stuff.
    >And Allonzo is all about doing stuff.
    >At +1 stealth even.
    >Ankur Gupta
    >Prince of West Lafayette

    best,

    Fabio "Sooner" Macedo
    V:TES National Coordinator for Brazil
    Giovanni Newsletter Editor
    V:tES Brasil Site (only in Portuguese for now)
    http://planeta.terra.com.br/lazer/vtesbrasil/
  30. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    Frederick Scott wrote:

    > Scarce, obviously, doens't make him any worse than he'd be if he were just
    > clanless - other than the trifling issue of using an Abomination library
    > card.

    While mostly, you are correct, there is the highly unlikely to be used
    Scarce Hoser from Gehenna that burns Scarce vampires, as well as a Stranger
    Humongous.

    If Scarcity was just the pool penalty, it is easy to make it a total non
    issue--if he is the only scarce vampire in your crypt, that particular card
    text gets to be erased from his card.

    But 'cause Stranger Humongous exists, he gets an easy to exploit edge (well,
    theoretically), and 'cause the hoser exists, there is a small chance of him
    just being burned, which is actually a bigger problem than Stranger
    Humongous is a bonus, making being Scarce, arguably, worse than just being
    clanless.

    Peter D Bakija
    pdb6@lightlink.com
    http://www.lightlink.com/pdb6

    "How does this end?"
    "In fire."
    Emperor Turhan and Kosh
  31. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    > Why would I want to pay a blood now just to not burn a blood to damage
    > later? OK, so it helps prevent against Ivory Bow and Burst of
    > Sunlight...big whup. If I trap, it could come in handy too I guess.
    > But why not just give a Werewolf potence in the first place so you
    > don't have to wait for the skill card? HE is a werewolf, that should
    > mean combat...did you ever play the game?

    Every discipline has Combat Cards. His disciplines have some of the best -
    Carrion Crows, Aura Reading, Gemini's Mirror. Not every Werewolf is the
    supreme overlord of smackdown, especially Shadowlords. Shadowlords have
    BETTER things to do than tear your arms off.
  32. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    > While mostly, you are correct, there is the highly unlikely to be used
    > Scarce Hoser from Gehenna that burns Scarce vampires, as well as a Stranger
    > Humongous.

    Note that there are now TWO Scarce minions - of differing Clans - with obf
    ser in Group 2/3.
  33. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    In message <Pine.GSO.4.62.0502151423050.22117@peso.cs.duke.edu>, Ankur
    Gupta <agupta@cs.duke.edu> writes:
    >Allonzo isn't intended to be just the bestest vampire ever (that's
    >Arika, for those not in the know),

    Grrr. How can that honour not go to Gratiano? Best. Vampire. Ever.

    --
    James Coupe "Why do so many talented people turn out to be sexual
    PGP Key: 0x5D623D5D deviants? Why can't they just be normal like me and

    "Frederick Scott" <nospam@no.spam.dot.com> writes:

    > "Ankur Gupta" <agupta@cs.duke.edu> wrote in message
    >
    > > And Allonzo is all about doing stuff.
    > >
    > > At +1 stealth even.
    >
    > Allonzo is about doing SOME stuff at +1 stealth.

    Temptations and Forms of Corruption are nice, but consider this:

    Allonzo plays Enticement. Three unbouncable, unreducable pool damage to
    your prey, at inherent +1 stealth. Total number of cards played: one.
    That's like dropping a KRC, where you need the edge instead of vote lock.

    I can see a hideous stealth Enticement deck starring Alonzo and Sargon...
    (It could be called "Nazi science sneers at bleed bounce!" :-)

    --
    hg@ "If you can't offend part of your audience,
    iki.fi there is no point in being an artist at all." -Hakim Bey

    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 20:33:43 -0500, Gregory Stuart Pettigrew
    <etherial@sidehack.sat.gweep.net> wrote:

    >> Why would I want to pay a blood now just to not burn a blood to damage
    >> later? OK, so it helps prevent against Ivory Bow and Burst of
    >> Sunlight...big whup. If I trap, it could come in handy too I guess.
    >> But why not just give a Werewolf potence in the first place so you
    >> don't have to wait for the skill card? HE is a werewolf, that should
    >> mean combat...did you ever play the game?
    >
    >Every discipline has Combat Cards. His disciplines have some of the best -
    >Carrion Crows, Aura Reading, Gemini's Mirror. Not every Werewolf is the
    >supreme overlord of smackdown, especially Shadowlords. Shadowlords have
    >BETTER things to do than tear your arms off.

    And as far as I remember, Shadow Lords weren't that big in combat even
    in the Rage CCG. Everytime I saw someone trying some pack attack
    strategy - the main strategy for quick killings, at least in my
    metagame at the time - it was based on Get of Fenris or Red Talons.
    But again, we never got past Umbra except for me, who tried a few Wyrm
    for the fun factor.

    I can't find the Allonzo card in here now, so someone more well versed
    on the game could share his thoughs on him on combat and the options
    available for the Shadow Lords? (gifts, allies and such)

    best,

    Fabio "Sooner" Macedo
    V:TES National Coordinator for Brazil
    Giovanni Clan Newsletter Editor
    V:tES Brasil Site (only in Portuguese for now)
    http://planeta.terra.com.br/lazer/vtesbrasil/
  36. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    Peter D Bakija wrote:
    > But 'cause Stranger Humongous exists, he gets an easy to exploit edge (well,
    > theoretically), and 'cause the hoser exists, there is a small chance of him
    > just being burned, which is actually a bigger problem than Stranger
    > Humongous is a bonus, making being Scarce, arguably, worse than just being
    > clanless.

    Mistrust will only burn him once he goes to torpor.
    Kinda like Vulnerability.

    Not sure the "bigger problem" assessment is warranted with
    regards to burning. Now if you meant to argue the added Banishment
    (non-burning) angle of Mistrust, well, that's different.

    --
    LSJ (vtesrep@white-wolf.com) V:TES Net.Rep for White Wolf, Inc.
    http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

    LSJ wrote:

    > Mistrust will only burn him once he goes to torpor.
    > Kinda like Vulnerability.

    Yeah, see, if I could remember the name of the card, I'd probably, like,
    have remembered that :-)

    Peter D Bakija
    pdb6@lightlink.com
    http://www.lightlink.com/pdb6

    "How does this end?"
    "In fire."
    Emperor Turhan and Kosh
  38. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    tigernat1 wrote:
    > But why not just give a Werewolf potence in the first place so you
    > don't have to wait for the skill card? HE is a werewolf, that should
    > mean combat...did you ever play the game?

    [...]

    > What's funny, is that I wouldn't even care if they had just used
    > another name...but since they used a canon character...it comes with
    > certain expectations.

    Allonzo's "canon" stats are found in Warriors of the Apocalypse.

    Among them:

    Disciplines:
    Animalism 2, Auspex 3, Dominate 2, Obfuscate 4, [Potence 0], Serpentis 2

    --
    LSJ (vtesrep@white-wolf.com) V:TES Net.Rep for White Wolf, Inc.
    http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/
  39. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    LSJ wrote:
    > Allonzo's "canon" stats are found in Warriors of the Apocalypse.
    >
    > Among them:
    >
    > Disciplines:
    > Animalism 2, Auspex 3, Dominate 2, Obfuscate 4, [Potence 0], Serpentis 2

    Since we're down this road, what are Ul-Shulgi's canon stats?

    =)

    --Colin McGuigan
  40. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    Fabio "Sooner" wrote:
    > I can't find the Allonzo card in here now, so someone more well versed
    > on the game could share his thoughs on him on combat and the options
    > available for the Shadow Lords? (gifts, allies and such)

    Allonzo Montoya Rage card spoiler (from
    http://www.littlebearslore.com/text/ra/rage3.txt):

    Allonzo Montoya Abomination Homid
    Character Crinos Beast-of-War
    Male Ren:9 R:5/10 G:6/6 H:7/10 Regen: Y
    Phase: Wyrm Rarity: R
    Artist: Jeff Miracola
    Text: Allonzo is a werewolf who has been turned into a vampire. Thoroughly
    insane, he now serves the Wyrm. Allonzo can use Shadow Lord, Metis and
    Black Spiral Dancer Gifts. He cannot be alpha 2 turns in a row.

    --
    LSJ (vtesrep@white-wolf.com) V:TES Net.Rep for White Wolf, Inc.
    http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/
  41. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 01:44:46 GMT, LSJ <vtesrep@white-wolf.com> wrote:

    >Fabio "Sooner" wrote:
    >> I can't find the Allonzo card in here now, so someone more well versed
    >> on the game could share his thoughs on him on combat and the options
    >> available for the Shadow Lords? (gifts, allies and such)
    >
    >Allonzo Montoya Rage card spoiler (from
    >http://www.littlebearslore.com/text/ra/rage3.txt):
    >
    >Allonzo Montoya Abomination Homid
    >Character Crinos Beast-of-War
    >Male Ren:9 R:5/10 G:6/6 H:7/10 Regen: Y
    > Phase: Wyrm Rarity: R
    > Artist: Jeff Miracola
    >Text: Allonzo is a werewolf who has been turned into a vampire. Thoroughly
    > insane, he now serves the Wyrm. Allonzo can use Shadow Lord, Metis and
    > Black Spiral Dancer Gifts. He cannot be alpha 2 turns in a row.

    Thanks!

    Geez, strictly seing his basic stats, he's powerful - Rage 10 and
    Health 10 in Crinos form is nothing to sneeze at, and he Regenerates,
    something most Wyrm characters don't. What I can't remember is

    - which gifts the Shadow Lords have available
    - which Metis gifts exists besides those that avoid combat (Burrow and
    such)

    I remember that Black Spiral Dancers gifts are not that good compared
    to the ones available to the main Gaia clans.

    Sorry for going that off-topic, but I'm still too curious and
    subscribing for a Rage forum/mailing list just for that information is
    too much of a hassle. I just want to get a grip if he's a combat
    monster in Rage or not. Never had the chance to play him...

    best,

    Fabio "Sooner" Macedo
    V:TES National Coordinator for Brazil
    Giovanni Clan Newsletter Editor
    V:tES Brasil Site (only in Portuguese for now)
    http://planeta.terra.com.br/lazer/vtesbrasil/
  42. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    > The only real problem there and the thing that makes Allonzo look a
    > little less than spectacular to me (until we see those great clan cards
    > he'll get) is that most Serpentis decks use Followers of Set who have an
    > Opium Den. Sure, you have to draw it and it's subject to Disputed

    I think the drawing it is a non-trivial cost. I mean, hell, even 4/80 =
    1/20 = 5% (for a single draw, of course) is less often than a single crypt
    card coming up. And that's assuming that you've really built your deck
    towards getting the Opium Den. (Now, I know that the math is wrong, but
    I'm too lazy to do it correctly right now. I hope you get the point. It
    would end up working once I did it anyway.)

    > Territory, Kine Dominance, Arika, etc. (as Allonzo is subject to PTO,
    > Graverobbing and Wynn), but if you have it out it's pretty nice. It
    > gives your guys a stealth on Serpentis actions. Oh, and non-Serpentis
    > actions too.

    Given the above comment, I think it's quite reasonable to think that it's
    useful. . . . Again, it's a card-saving special, and it's not a trivial
    one. Many actions you'd take by putting him into a deck are Serpentis
    actions.

    Ankur
  43. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    > Why would I want to pay a blood now just to not burn a blood to damage
    > later? OK, so it helps prevent against Ivory Bow and Burst of
    > Sunlight...big whup. If I trap, it could come in handy too I guess.

    Well, you gave two pretty decent reasons. They're not great, but they
    exist. Trap combat is what you'll be doing, so perpetual damage prevention
    seems good. And I gave a reason too -- he's pretty good in a pot/ser deck
    even without pot since he can play Skin of the Adder. And since you're
    including skill cards *anyway*, he can claim one of them for his own as
    they come up.

    > But why not just give a Werewolf potence in the first place so you don't
    > have to wait for the skill card? HE is a werewolf, that should mean
    > combat...did you ever play the game?

    My point really has nothing to do with anything else. . . only this: he is
    ready for combat with just SER/ani.

    > Every viable combat deck needs a way to circumvent combat ends! Sure

    I love broad sweeping generalizations. . . Look. There are lots and lots
    and lots of animalism decks that do well, and they have *no* response to
    combat ends in general.

    > its fun to build some wacky deck that *might* do something in combat
    > someday, but I want viable constructed tournament alternatives. Skin of
    > the Adder is NOT in this category, mainly because it has a double
    > Superior that is cool, but NOT a SINGLE vamp can play without help! And
    > animalism combat is based on weenies, plus all their cards are free,
    > plus they usually pack stuff like Warghouls for support.

    Not all animalism combat is based on weenies. Those combat decks also do
    well. Animalism combat has no prevention. Animalism combat cannot perform
    under being grappled itself. And I have no idea where this "usually packed
    Warghouls" thing comes from. . . I mean, geez. That's a rare sight. I
    could point to protean combat. . . also no response to combat ends. It
    does fine. You just have to know how to run someone out of their defenses.
    And I gave you *several* ways to do that without pot/cel in my previous
    post.

    > Allonzo is a werewolf...and should be a beat machine. Right now he has
    > no chance of harming her. I just want to give him a chance. With

    He is a beat machine with ani/SER. When a 6 cap can't torpor an 11 cap, I
    don't cry. Granted, Arika may be really strong or whatever, but I won't
    argue with Allonzo not being able to torpor Arika.

    > potence he at least has a shot. And while I wait to get her, she votes
    > and bleeds me out of the game. I don't want ANOTHER bleed vampire....I
    > want a vampire that can be a combat threat using Serpentis. He, being a
    > werewolf, should have been the best chance at getting that threat.
    > Allonso is NOT just fine if Arika majesties...cause he most likey played
    > cards that cost blood!

    Why, didn't you give him murder of crows?

    > Great I can gain all that intercept through retainers, only to NOT block
    > cause Allonso can't block undirected actions!

    So he can't block Arika. Maybe one of your other vampires blocks her and
    Allonzo just rushes? What about considering Gilbert Duane? Or Cock Robin?
    Do these large vampires not count when considering torporing them? Why is
    Arika the benchmark all the time? A deck that can't torpor Arika 90% of
    the time can't win or something? And again, it's not a whole deck that
    can't torpor Arika, it's just Allonzo. . . .

    > Good point, perhaps Anarching out Allonso would be best. That way I
    > wouldn't have to worry about Superiors. But come on, Superiors are
    > where its at. Interesting is exactly what I want. But right now the
    > only legitimate ways around combat ends are grapple and psyche....cause

    Also rushing lots. Also blocking and taking cards out. Also doing a number
    with their hand and Border Skirmish. Also Revelations. Also Chiram's Hold.
    Also Thoughts Betrayed. Also Telepathic Tracking. Also the Jones. . . .
    Also giving Allonzo Creep Show to make the best of a bad situation. If you
    insist on pot/cel, also giving Drum of Xipe/Hand of Conrad.

    > they are free!!! I was looking for a cool Serpentis combat deck to have
    > a star. Allonso simply fails in that respect when he could have crowned
    > the achievement.

    I think your definition of "star" is too attached to old thoughts on the
    game. Pot/cel are good. Always have been. Not the only way to play combat.

    > What's funny, is that I wouldn't even care if they had just used another
    > name...but since they used a canon character...it comes with certain
    > expectations.

    That's a reasonable feeling. But asserting that he's not a beat machine,
    well, just isn't, in my view.

    Ankur
  44. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    Gregory Stuart Pettigrew wrote:
    > Note that there are now TWO Scarce minions - of differing Clans -
    with obf
    > ser in Group 2/3.

    I have never used more than a single copy of Synesios in my Follower of
    Set decks. Why? Summon the Serpent. The FoS have crypt construction
    options that other clans can't match. This is why Kementiri (adv) is
    the most mergeable vampire ever, and why you don't need to spend $20 on
    ebay for a second copy of Sutekh the Dark God.

    2/3 Serpentis is getting a real boost from this set. 3/4 Serpentis will
    have a tough act to follow.
  45. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    In article <1108488732.877996.74570@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
    tigernat1 wrote:
    > I am so dissappointed in Allonzo. In the Rage card game this guy was
    > big and scary. What is he doing with Serpentis? He is a werewolf for
    > f**k's sake!!!
    Let's see:

    In rage a pack of werewolves were really scary.

    In vtes however:
    Werewolf Pack
    Unique Werewolf with 3 life, 3 strength, 0 bleed.
    Werewolf Pack is not affected by damage from melee weapons.

    Compared to a pack of werewolves, this Allonzo guy is a menace.

    --
    Sator Ukko
    333=11

    Colin McGuigan wrote:
    > LSJ wrote:
    >
    >> Allonzo's "canon" stats are found in Warriors of the Apocalypse.
    >>
    >> Among them:
    >>
    >> Disciplines:
    >> Animalism 2, Auspex 3, Dominate 2, Obfuscate 4, [Potence 0], Serpentis 2
    >

    > Since we're down this road, what are Ul-Shulgi's canon stats?

    I don't know any Ul-Shulgi.

    In an unrelated topic, ur-Shulgi's stats are given as:
    Disciplines: Auspex 8, Obfuscate 9, Quietus 9, Thaumaturgy 9; others unknown

    --
    LSJ (vtesrep@white-wolf.com) V:TES Net.Rep for White Wolf, Inc.
    http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/
  47. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    LSJ wrote:
    > I don't know any Ul-Shulgi.

    It's Ur-Shulgi's twin brother. You were introduced at the WW Christmas
    party last year. He's hurt you don't remember him.

    > In an unrelated topic, ur-Shulgi's stats are given as:
    > Disciplines: Auspex 8, Obfuscate 9, Quietus 9, Thaumaturgy 9; others
    > unknown

    Mmm. Inferior auspex.

    (Can't complain overly. The DOM is nice. But, going by canon stats...)

    --Colin McGuigan
  48. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    Gregory Stuart Pettigrew wrote:

    > Note that there are now TWO Scarce minions - of differing Clans - with obf
    > ser in Group 2/3.

    I was thinking Allonzo might be good friends with Synesios, especially
    with Anarch Secession so that they can both start Reforming and
    Corrupting (and of course there's also Principia). Might be fun,
    especially if the Abomination clan cards allow Allonzo to do some
    serious beatdown as well.

    --CV
  49. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    Colin McGuigan wrote:
    > LSJ wrote:
    > > I don't know any Ul-Shulgi.
    >
    > It's Ur-Shulgi's twin brother. You were introduced at the WW
    Christmas
    > party last year. He's hurt you don't remember him.
    >
    > > In an unrelated topic, ur-Shulgi's stats are given as:
    > > Disciplines: Auspex 8, Obfuscate 9, Quietus 9, Thaumaturgy 9;
    others
    > > unknown
    >
    > Mmm. Inferior auspex.
    >
    > (Can't complain overly. The DOM is nice. But, going by canon
    stats...)

    > --Colin McGuigan

    in the path of blood forum, someone - who i believe is the one who
    designed Ur-Shulgi for VTES, since he claimed so and all those people
    REALLY into Assamites there that would probably jump on the guy if he
    wasn´t serious about this bit of info. too bad i don´t remember the
    name of the guy! - said that when designing Ur-Shulgi, he took into
    account sinergy. so a few of the disciplines there were placed to grant
    that he could be used with almost every single deck you wanted based on
    assamites, even those not really using exclusively CEL QUI OBF...
    probably aus came as a price for that sinergy.

    cheers
    Luciano "Baital" de Sampaio
    VEKN Anarch Baron de Curitiba
    VEKN Baali Clan Newsletter Editor