Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Are Tablets Worth It?

Last response: in Laptop Tech Support
December 20, 2011 3:17:50 PM

I've been considering getting a tablet for a while now, but I'm always on the fence about whether or not its worth it or maybe just get a laptop. I'm looking to get the new Asus Transformer Prime when it comes in stock again. I know I can get a laptop for the same price ($500) that does more, but I already got my desktop which will out do anything a laptop can do. Plus I'm looking for something that I can just pick up and start streaming movies or listening to music right away, or maybe playing a few games to kill time. I've never played around with an Android tablet before, I was wondering how fast and responsive opening apps and browsing the internet is and how fluid video playback is through something like netflix. The Transformer Prime has the new Tegra 3 processor which I read makes a pretty big difference compared to other tablets. It also has an attachable keyboard which sounds useful, but costs an additional $150 plus I don't know what type of word processor I could use. Any thoughts about laptops vs tablets in general? Android vs Windows?

More about : tablets worth

a c 224 D Laptop
December 20, 2011 10:58:20 PM

For what you want to use it for, a tablet would be great, the new ones will play lots of things very well. Don't expect to use it for any great games though. If I really had money that I did not need, I'd get a tablet. Otherwise a laptop is better over all, way more flexible and faster. But it loses the simplicity and portability.
Score
December 20, 2011 11:05:27 PM

Yes, tablets are worth it. Get an ipad if you're worried about lack of smoothness or fluid playback or whatever.
Score
Related resources
a c 464 D Laptop
December 21, 2011 1:17:21 AM

If I were to get a tablet, it would be the Asus Transformer Prime due to the Tegra 3 CPU and the fact you can add a keyboard to it later which expands it's productivity usage, increases battery life, and provides extra ports.

However, I have no use for a tablet, I'd rather spend that money towards a laptop.
Score
December 21, 2011 1:30:21 AM

I'd recommend an Ipad2. They are great and they just work. An Ipad will never replace the devices you already have, just augment your arsenal. I use mine all the time for checking something on google, skype or just watching family guy while cooking. Didn't replace my desktop or notebook though!
Score
December 21, 2011 7:12:02 PM

Yeah I think I'll settle on the Transformer Prime. Too bad they wont be in stock for at least a week maybe more... The iPad2 does look good, but I'm one of those people whose against anything Apple. My desktop is a bit of a powerhouse so any laptop I get would probably seem slow and a little sluggish in comparison. Thanks for the input and hopefully I can get my hands on the Asus before the New Year... not likely.
Score
December 21, 2011 7:30:21 PM

Almost all tablets stream video and have apps/games. Its really all about the eco system. Which do you prefer? Apple, Android, Amazon? For what its worth i prefer the iPad2, only because i have an iPhone and i'm stuck with the Apple eco system. I did buy a Kindle Fire for my father Inlaw, he's old and only uses netflix and internet... and it was free since i use my reward points at officedepot ;) . I can tell you first hand i wasnt impressed with the Android interface, sure Honeycomb might be better. But as far as fluid usebility Apple wins...
Score
December 22, 2011 2:27:39 AM

For watching youtube and reading random bullshit online WHILE LAYING IN BED like a douche, nothing beats a tablet. I bought my gf an ipad 2 for Christmas. She goes to bed before I do.
:D 
Score
April 8, 2013 12:16:49 PM

as much as I dislike Apple because of their obsession with patios suing... Ipads are nice because their more mobile than laptops but more powerful than a phone. I know there's Android and the Kindle, but I think Apple is dominating the mobile area. If you are always on the go, and I mean like not in a hotel for most of the day, a tablet would be for you.
Score
!