Orpheus!!! this is for you! breath of thanatos preview

act mod
combat
Necromancy

1 blood

[nec] +2 stealth only usable on an action to employ or recruit a wraith
[NEC] 1 aggravated damage

Andrea
29 answers Last reply
More about orpheus breath thanatos preview

    Wow. So you pulled this off... pretty often?<p>You should be grateful.
    Think of how many cards you save on? No more pressing! More Fortitude!
    Whee! Gritty and mean like the Samedi always wanted!

    andrea.la.malfa@infinito.it wrote:
    > act mod
    > combat
    > Necromancy
    >
    > 1 blood
    >
    > [nec] +2 stealth only usable on an action to employ or recruit a
    wraith

    This is supposed to be an incentive to play with Wraiths... for now
    it's too much 'corner case'. Maybe it fits well in an Ambrosius/Talbot
    Chainsaw deck. It's a pity Felix being Unique...

    > [NEC] 1 aggravated damage

    This is interesting but i believe only to play in a surprise basis. It
    isn't Ranged, it isn't Strength damage and requires superior
    Necromancy.

    Even so, i'm certain that a couple of these cards will feet well in any
    Giovanni Power Bleed or Shambling Hordes deck... ;-)

    ..- Luis Duarte

    <andrea.la.malfa@infinito.it> wrote in message
    > act mod
    > combat
    > Necromancy
    >
    > 1 blood
    >
    > [nec] +2 stealth only usable on an action to employ or recruit a wraith
    > [NEC] 1 aggravated damage

    What!?! It totally wallpapered my Torment the Soul deck using large cap
    Samedi and Tortured Confession.

    I.... am.... so.... upset....

    Hrumph, the next thing your going to do is wallpaper Phobia...

    --
    Comments Welcome,
    Norman S. Brown, Jr.

    more Wraiths?

    Doubtful, none of the new titles have names like

    Xenon(Wraith)

    although there is still some hope.

    "XZealot" <x_zealot@cox-internet.com> wrote in message
    > <andrea.la.malfa@infinito.it> wrote in message
    > > [nec] +2 stealth only usable on an action to employ or recruit a wraith
    > > [NEC] 1 aggravated damage
    >
    > What!?! It totally wallpapered my Torment the Soul deck using large cap
    > Samedi and Tortured Confession.

    Torment's damage is ranged.

    --
    LSJ (vtesrep@white-wolf.com) V:TES Net.Rep for White Wolf, Inc.
    V:TES homepage: http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

    "LSJ" <vtesrepSPAM@TRAPwhite-wolf.com> wrote in message
    > "XZealot" <x_zealot@cox-internet.com> wrote in message
    >> <andrea.la.malfa@infinito.it> wrote in message
    >> > [nec] +2 stealth only usable on an action to employ or recruit a wraith
    >> > [NEC] 1 aggravated damage
    >>
    >> What!?! It totally wallpapered my Torment the Soul deck using large cap
    >> Samedi and Tortured Confession.
    >

    > Torment's damage is ranged.

    Exactly, I was equipping with a Hawg to press to second round and then
    manuevering with Ruins of Villers Abbey, Belgium after I had spent 2 blood
    on the first round.to get two manuevers.

    --
    Comments Welcome,
    Norman S. Brown, Jr.

    > Torment's damage is ranged.

    Torment wins. FINISH HIM.

    Ankur
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    >> What!?! It totally wallpapered my Torment the Soul deck using large
    >> cap Samedi and Tortured Confession.
    >
    > Torment's damage is ranged.

    Torment wins. FINISH HIM!

    Ankur
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    Matthew T. Morgan wrote:
    > I'm not actually a big fan of intercept strategies but that's
    > what Breath of Thanatos seems to lend itself to IMO. Don't forget
    your
    > Divine Sign!
    >
    > Matt Morgan

    Plenty of NEC vampires also have Auspex (like Harbingers or Nagaraja or
    certain Giovanni etc); I can see Breath being used agressively in
    combination with Aura Reading and other 'let's see your hand before I
    choose my strike' methods. (Le Dinh Tho!)

    Possibly even some fun with Primal Instincts in an AUS/NEC deck..

    -John Flournoy
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, Orpheus wrote:

    > If it is best for HoS, the inferior is, as of now disappointing : they can
    > only recruit Puppeteers, and these need some serious help to become useful.

    Harbingers can also get Masquers and can use this card for additional
    stealth when doing so, if needed. I doubt this is going to be winning all
    the championships this year, but it's not a terrible option. If you're
    playing intercept, you're expecting combat and superior Breath (which all
    the HoS can play) becomes useful, especially when you're picking your
    strike second.

    Block with your Masquer. Strike superior Breath of Thanatos + Rotschreck.
    It's the new Tzimisce!

    The real advantage I see there is that most decks that rely on intercept
    permanents do most of their equipping and recruiting at +1 stealth so
    another intercept deck (or even an early Sport Bike or media outlet) can
    make life difficult. Breath would be useful to the Harbingers if they
    need extra stealth and still useful if they don't.

    Or you could do Giovanni intercept with the Path of Bone and Tower of
    London. I'm not actually a big fan of intercept strategies but that's
    what Breath of Thanatos seems to lend itself to IMO. Don't forget your
    Divine Sign!

    Matt Morgan
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    > act mod
    > combat
    > Necromancy
    >
    > 1 blood
    >
    > [nec] +2 stealth only usable on an action to employ or recruit a wraith
    > [NEC] 1 aggravated damage

    [NEC] Strike: 1 aggravated damage
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    David Zopf wrote:
    > Hah. May I suggest that all players refer to a superior of Breath of

    > Thanatos as "The Ivory Bone"
    >
    > :P
    >
    > DaveZ
    > Atom Weaver

    I´ll side to that, and raise my glass.

    cheers
    Luciano/The_Baital
    A.B of CWB/Mr.Baali
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    On 17 Feb 2005 07:04:31 -0800, andrea.la.malfa@infinito.it wrote:

    >act mod
    >combat
    >Necromancy
    >1 blood
    >[nec] +2 stealth only usable on an action to employ or recruit a wraith
    >[NEC] 1 aggravated damage
    >Andrea

    Nice. Kinda like it.
    Cards that can be used in different situations are welcome.

    best,

    Fabio "Sooner" Macedo
    V:TES National Coordinator for Brazil
    Giovanni Newsletter Editor
    V:tES Brasil Site (only in Portuguese for now)
    http://planeta.terra.com.br/lazer/vtesbrasil/
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    Gregory Stuart Pettigrew wrote:
    > > more Wraiths?
    > >
    > > Doubtful, none of the new titles have names like
    > >
    > > Xenon(Wraith)
    > >

    > All the existing Wraiths (save Spiritual Protector) came out during
    Final
    > Nights, when Ally/Retainer Type was just introduced. It made sense to
    put
    > (Wraith) in the title. Since then, only Mylan Horseed (Goblin),
    > Neighborhood Watch Commander (Hunter), and Carlton Van Wyk (Hunter)
    have
    > the paranthetical usage, probably put in so that White Wolf can more
    > easily choose to do weird Kith/Imbued stuff in later sets.

    Ambrosius is very angry that you forgot about him! (He is a wraith who
    came out in Ancient Hearts BTW). Come to think of it, the Death Pact
    wraith is pretty pissed off too! ;)

    - Eric Chiang
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    Gregory Stuart Pettigrew wrote:
    > > Could be. But it looks more to me like : WW wants to be clear about
    things,
    > > and that we know what cards can be used by or for a hunter, wraith,
    mortal,
    > > werewolf etc.
    > >

    > Then why don't High Top, Cry Wolf, and Ossian have (Werewolf) in
    their
    > title? Why don't all the new Mortals/Ghouls/Dhampirs/etc. have their
    type
    > in their title, also? Mylan's and the Hunters paranthetical text are
    > currently *absent* from any current game effect. This implies that
    > (Wraith) was there in Final Nights solely to call attention to the
    *new*
    > Ally-Type rule. Since that rule is no longer new, there's no need to
    > announce the type of a new Ally/Retainer.

    Renegade Garou was the first werewolf ally, introduced before the ally
    types mattered.

    I suspect some of them (Goblin, Hunter) are still put in parenthesis to
    distinguish them somewhat from others of their type, i.e. (Hunter) is a
    subtype of Mortal, (Goblin) is a subtype of changeling, etc.

    So far, they don't matter, but if they do something with it in the
    future, it saves WW from needing to reprint or issue errata to those
    cards, and makes it very obvious.

    John
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    > more Wraiths?
    >
    > Doubtful, none of the new titles have names like
    >
    > Xenon(Wraith)

    All the existing Wraiths (save Spiritual Protector) came out during Final
    Nights, when Ally/Retainer Type was just introduced. It made sense to put
    (Wraith) in the title. Since then, only Mylan Horseed (Goblin),
    Neighborhood Watch Commander (Hunter), and Carlton Van Wyk (Hunter) have
    the paranthetical usage, probably put in so that White Wolf can more
    easily choose to do weird Kith/Imbued stuff in later sets.

    - Gregory Stuart Pettigrew (who may be speaking too soon and used a lot of
    paratheses)
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    > Exactly, I was equipping with a Hawg to press to second round and then
    > manuevering with Ruins of Villers Abbey, Belgium after I had spent 2 blood
    > on the first round.to get two manuevers.

    You were?

    .....wait a minute. Have I missed Crusade: Xian's House '05 already?

    Damn, and I wanted to get some money down on the pet cat to defend it's
    title with the turbo Wolf Valentine deck too.

    mattgreen.
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    > Could be. But it looks more to me like : WW wants to be clear about things,
    > and that we know what cards can be used by or for a hunter, wraith, mortal,
    > werewolf etc.

    Then why don't High Top, Cry Wolf, and Ossian have (Werewolf) in their
    title? Why don't all the new Mortals/Ghouls/Dhampirs/etc. have their type
    in their title, also? Mylan's and the Hunters paranthetical text are
    currently *absent* from any current game effect. This implies that
    (Wraith) was there in Final Nights solely to call attention to the *new*
    Ally-Type rule. Since that rule is no longer new, there's no need to
    announce the type of a new Ally/Retainer.
  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    "Luis Duarte - Powerbase:Lisbon" <luis.paleta@netcabo.pt> escribió en el
    mensaje news:1108660936.918121.4920@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
    > andrea.la.malfa@infinito.it wrote:
    > > act mod
    > > combat
    > > Necromancy
    > >
    > > 1 blood
    > >
    > > [nec] +2 stealth only usable on an action to employ or recruit a
    > wraith
    >
    > This is supposed to be an incentive to play with Wraiths... for now
    > it's too much 'corner case'. Maybe it fits well in an Ambrosius/Talbot
    > Chainsaw deck. It's a pity Felix being Unique...

    Perhaps we'll see other wraiths in this expansion

    > > [NEC] 1 aggravated damage
    >
    > This is interesting but i believe only to play in a surprise basis. It
    > isn't Ranged, it isn't Strength damage and requires superior
    > Necromancy.
    >
    > Even so, i'm certain that a couple of these cards will feet well in any
    > Giovanni Power Bleed or Shambling Hordes deck... ;-)

    I *LOVE* Sideslip

    > .- Luis Duarte

  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    LOL. I wonder why so many people think I might be interested in things
    necromantic... ;-)

    Funny, when I saw the name in the list I hoped it was Nec, and somewhat
    thought it could have been a nice Than with a Nec outferior...

    > >act mod
    > >combat
    > >Necromancy
    > >1 blood
    > >[nec] +2 stealth only usable on an action to employ or recruit a wraith
    > >[NEC] Strike : 1 aggravated damage

    Ok. I guess we'll talk about this card again soon, in the next Newlsetters
    and on the Necrosite (I promise to try to update it with all K:MW cards).

    First impressions :

    inf : as Tom said, will be much better if we get more intersting wraith
    allies in K:MW. As such, nice but cornercase, for reasons linked to the sup
    version.

    sup : a Nec combat card, this is nice. Not usable under Grapple is less
    nice, but I guess they didn't want to make it as lethal as Pro ? It wouldn't
    be, mind you, because it does aggravs in sup. As it is, a Pot deck will
    seldom use it, so it's a "surprise" in other decks ; particularly For / Nec,
    so of course I'm thinking Harbingers (Fast Reaction if the Goblyn is here
    for untap...). The Samedi don't really need this, and too few have NEC.

    If it is best for HoS, the inferior is, as of now disappointing : they can
    only recruit Puppeteers, and these need some serious help to become useful.

    BTW, this and my recent trys at Samedi fight make me think that an
    alternative to Grapple / Psyche [FR / HL] allowing to fight S:CE and dodges
    under another discipline (yes, I know, the event... let's be serious
    please). For could be an option. Or Obf, but HL looks like the logical
    thing...

    Okay, whatever. It can be useful sometimes, and it is a different Nec card.
    I'm not overjoyed, but it is nice. Let's see the rest at the pre-release...

    ----------------
    Orpheus of Thanatos.
  21. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    "David Wilson, Mask of a Thousand Names" <dervish13@gmail.com> a écrit dans
    le message de news: 1108664851.460107.274420@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
    > more Wraiths?
    >
    > Doubtful, none of the new titles have names like
    >
    > Xenon(Wraith)
    >
    > although there is still some hope.

    But slim, you're right.

    Maybe a card giving more interest to existing puppeteers (as the one I
    suggested once, maybe) ?

    Aus / Nec intercept / Rötbeurk ? Why not... Will need some maneuvers,
    though.

    Well, anyway, a card with various possibilities is always nice, and that's
    what Nec is about !
    -----------
    Orpheus
  22. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    <andrea.la.malfa@infinito.it> wrote in message
    > act mod
    > combat
    > Necromancy
    >
    > 1 blood
    >
    > [nec] +2 stealth only usable on an action to employ or recruit a wraith
    > [NEC] 1 aggravated damage

    Hah. May I suggest that all players refer to a superior of Breath of
    Thanatos as "The Ivory Bone"

    :P

    DaveZ
    Atom Weaver
  23. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    "Gregory Stuart Pettigrew" <etherial@sidehack.sat.gweep.net> a écrit dans le
    message de news: 20050217163946.K5602@sidehack.sat.gweep.net...
    > > more Wraiths?
    > >
    > > Doubtful, none of the new titles have names like
    > >
    > > Xenon(Wraith)
    > >

    > All the existing Wraiths (save Spiritual Protector) came out during Final
    > Nights, when Ally/Retainer Type was just introduced. It made sense to put
    > (Wraith) in the title. Since then, only Mylan Horseed (Goblin),
    > Neighborhood Watch Commander (Hunter), and Carlton Van Wyk (Hunter) have
    > the paranthetical usage, probably put in so that White Wolf can more
    > easily choose to do weird Kith/Imbued stuff in later sets.

    Could be. But it looks more to me like : WW wants to be clear about things,
    and that we know what cards can be used by or for a hunter, wraith, mortal,
    werewolf etc.
    ---------
    Orpheus
  24. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    On 17 Feb 2005 15:24:23 -0800, echiang777@yahoo.com wrote:

    >Gregory Stuart Pettigrew wrote:
    >> > more Wraiths?
    >> >
    >> > Doubtful, none of the new titles have names like
    >> >
    >> > Xenon(Wraith)
    >> >

    >> All the existing Wraiths (save Spiritual Protector) came out during
    >Final
    >> Nights, when Ally/Retainer Type was just introduced. It made sense to
    >put
    >> (Wraith) in the title. Since then, only Mylan Horseed (Goblin),
    >> Neighborhood Watch Commander (Hunter), and Carlton Van Wyk (Hunter)
    >have
    >> the paranthetical usage, probably put in so that White Wolf can more
    >> easily choose to do weird Kith/Imbued stuff in later sets.
    >

    >Ambrosius is very angry that you forgot about him! (He is a wraith who
    >came out in Ancient Hearts BTW). Come to think of it, the Death Pact
    >wraith is pretty pissed off too! ;)

    But then again, who would be? Poor sod...

    So, is there another discipline blessed with *2* cards along the lines
    of Death pact and Eyes of the Dead? Serpentis has Mummify, but
    everything else isn't quite *this* bad I think...
    The Lynxkitten

    History is not written by those who are right
    But by those who are left
  25. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    > So, is there another discipline blessed with *2* cards along the lines
    > of Death pact and Eyes of the Dead? Serpentis has Mummify, but
    > everything else isn't quite *this* bad I think...
    > The Lynxkitten

    Eyes of the Serpent?
    Phobia?
  26. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    Matthew T. Morgan wrote:
    > On Fri, 18 Feb 2005, Orpheus wrote:
    >
    > > Grasp the Ghostly (come one, it doesn't
    > > look that bad, but who uses it, really ??)
    >
    > Why just last night I used Grasp the Ghostly as a proxy. No card is
    > completely useless!

    I occasionally use Grasp the Ghostly in decks, mainly because my local
    environment goes through weapon-heavy cycles. It's a lot of fun to
    watch faces when you Grasp an Assault Rifle!

    But yeah, it's not that strong, being totally dependent on other
    people's decks.

    > Matt Morgan

    -John Flournoy
  27. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    "Gregory Stuart Pettigrew" <etherial@sidehack.sat.gweep.net> a écrit dans le
    message de news: 20050218062637.R60808@sidehack.sat.gweep.net...
    > > So, is there another discipline blessed with *2* cards along the lines
    > > of Death pact and Eyes of the Dead? Serpentis has Mummify, but
    > > everything else isn't quite *this* bad I think...
    > > The Lynxkitten
    > >

    > Eyes of the Serpent?
    > Phobia?

    We still have Torment of the Soul, Grasp the Ghostly (come one, it doesn't
    look that bad, but who uses it, really ??), Soul Stealing (could have been a
    nice combo with that Harbingers chick but no)...

    So, I think we Necromancers still have the worst rata of bad cards !! At
    least it's a record.... ;)

    Hope we'll get more good ones in K:MW. Sure need'em.

    -------------
    Orpheus, Necromonger anyway.
  28. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    "Orpheus" <orpheus.13@ERASERHEADfree.fr> wrote in message news:<4215d2a5$0$7852$636a15ce@news.free.fr>...
    > "Gregory Stuart Pettigrew" <etherial@sidehack.sat.gweep.net> a écrit dans le
    > message de news: 20050218062637.R60808@sidehack.sat.gweep.net...
    > > > So, is there another discipline blessed with *2* cards along the lines
    > > > of Death pact and Eyes of the Dead? Serpentis has Mummify, but
    > > > everything else isn't quite *this* bad I think...
    > > > The Lynxkitten
    > > >

    > > Eyes of the Serpent?
    > > Phobia?
    >
    > We still have Torment of the Soul, Grasp the Ghostly (come one, it doesn't
    > look that bad, but who uses it, really ??), Soul Stealing (could have been a
    > nice combo with that Harbingers chick but no)...
    >
    > So, I think we Necromancers still have the worst rata of bad cards !! At
    > least it's a record.... ;)
    > Hope we'll get more good ones in K:MW. Sure need'em.
    >
    > -------------
    > Orpheus, Necromonger anyway.

    Sorry but I have to disagree here...

    Serpentis has AT LEAST the same number of "useless" cards as
    Necromancy has. But why do you always hear people say that Quietus is
    the "worst" discipline in the game? (Ok.. Serpentis/Necromancy may
    come in close second, but more people have said Quietus is really bad
    in general than Serpentis and Necromancy put together). Because it
    isn´t the number of bad cards a discipline has that makes it better or
    worse in general. Its the number of GOOD cards that will make or break
    a discipline. THAT`S why Quietus is generally viewed as worse, because
    it doesn´t have any cards that are viewed as "power" cards like
    Temptation or Call the Hungry Dead. Nor many cards that whole decks
    are built around like Shambling Hordes, Jar the Soul or Typhonic
    Beast.

    Necromancy has far more useFUL cards than Serpentis. Serpentis usually
    has a "Fame or Lame" tiwst to it´s cards... they are either very good
    like Temptation, Form of Corruption and Enticement or never used like
    Eyes of the Serpent, Phobia or Mummify (and Mummify IS the better of
    the three, trust me).

    Necromancy has more all-around good cards like Masquer, Shambling
    Hordes, Possession, Daemonic Possession, Spiritual Intervention,
    Haunt, Summon Soul, Whispers from the Dead, Call of the Hungry Dead,
    Spectral Divination, Jar the Soul etc..

    And with Breath of Thanatos, Necromancy (thus Necromancers) will be
    hitting back in combat now. Think of it as a MUCH cheaper Coma for you
    guys (yes, they can prevent it... but you cant have everything for
    1blood).

    So again, I have to disagree... if you really want a ride on the
    non-competitive side of V:TES, try Serpentis for a while. :) It won´t
    be long before "Heck, it´s just a bunch of cards orbiting Form of
    Corruption and Temptation!" passes through your mind. Of course that´s
    not true, but sooner or later the thought DOES cross your mind.

    Ironically, Necromancy helps Serpentis a lot (and the Setites) in
    V:TES. Cards like Corruption, Venenation, Reformation and (to a lesser
    degree) all that stealth you need to pass your actions taku up a LOT
    of space in your deck. Space that can be saved with the strategical
    placement of a few Necromancy cards and/or Carlotta/Sargon Fragments
    and all that Nec/Gio stuff that´s so useful to get your cards back.

    Let´s hope KMW gives Serpentis at least one more "OK, it´s good,
    period." card. :) (hope for a lot of good things for Necromancy too!!!
    :D)
  29. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2005, Orpheus wrote:

    > Grasp the Ghostly (come one, it doesn't
    > look that bad, but who uses it, really ??)

    Why just last night I used Grasp the Ghostly as a proxy. No card is
    completely useless!

    Matt Morgan

Games NEC Video Games