Orpheus!!! this is for you! breath of thanatos preview

Last response: in Video Games
February 17, 2005 10:04:31 AM

act mod
combat
Necromancy

1 blood

[nec] +2 stealth only usable on an action to employ or recruit a wraith
[NEC] 1 aggravated damage

Andrea
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 11:25:11 AM

Wow. So you pulled this off... pretty often?<p>You should be grateful.
Think of how many cards you save on? No more pressing! More Fortitude!
Whee! Gritty and mean like the Samedi always wanted!
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 12:22:16 PM

andrea.la.malfa@infinito.it wrote:
> act mod
> combat
> Necromancy
>
> 1 blood
>
> [nec] +2 stealth only usable on an action to employ or recruit a
wraith

This is supposed to be an incentive to play with Wraiths... for now
it's too much 'corner case'. Maybe it fits well in an Ambrosius/Talbot
Chainsaw deck. It's a pity Felix being Unique...

> [NEC] 1 aggravated damage

This is interesting but i believe only to play in a surprise basis. It
isn't Ranged, it isn't Strength damage and requires superior
Necromancy.

Even so, i'm certain that a couple of these cards will feet well in any
Giovanni Power Bleed or Shambling Hordes deck... ;-)

..- Luis Duarte
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 12:33:52 PM

<andrea.la.malfa@infinito.it> wrote in message
> act mod
> combat
> Necromancy
>
> 1 blood
>
> [nec] +2 stealth only usable on an action to employ or recruit a wraith
> [NEC] 1 aggravated damage

What!?! It totally wallpapered my Torment the Soul deck using large cap
Samedi and Tortured Confession.

I.... am.... so.... upset....

Hrumph, the next thing your going to do is wallpaper Phobia...

--
Comments Welcome,
Norman S. Brown, Jr.

more Wraiths?

Doubtful, none of the new titles have names like

Xenon(Wraith)

although there is still some hope.
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 1:36:37 PM

"XZealot" <x_zealot@cox-internet.com> wrote in message
> <andrea.la.malfa@infinito.it> wrote in message
> > [nec] +2 stealth only usable on an action to employ or recruit a wraith
> > [NEC] 1 aggravated damage
>
> What!?! It totally wallpapered my Torment the Soul deck using large cap
> Samedi and Tortured Confession.

Torment's damage is ranged.

--
LSJ (vtesrep@white-wolf.com) V:TES Net.Rep for White Wolf, Inc.
V:TES homepage: http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

"LSJ" <vtesrepSPAM@TRAPwhite-wolf.com> wrote in message
> "XZealot" <x_zealot@cox-internet.com> wrote in message
>> <andrea.la.malfa@infinito.it> wrote in message
>> > [nec] +2 stealth only usable on an action to employ or recruit a wraith
>> > [NEC] 1 aggravated damage
>>
>> What!?! It totally wallpapered my Torment the Soul deck using large cap
>> Samedi and Tortured Confession.
>

> Torment's damage is ranged.

Exactly, I was equipping with a Hawg to press to second round and then
manuevering with Ruins of Villers Abbey, Belgium after I had spent 2 blood
on the first round.to get two manuevers.

--
Comments Welcome,
Norman S. Brown, Jr.

> Torment's damage is ranged.

Torment wins. FINISH HIM.

Ankur
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 1:52:58 PM

>> What!?! It totally wallpapered my Torment the Soul deck using large
>> cap Samedi and Tortured Confession.
>
> Torment's damage is ranged.

Torment wins. FINISH HIM!

Ankur
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 2:18:46 PM

Matthew T. Morgan wrote:
> I'm not actually a big fan of intercept strategies but that's
> what Breath of Thanatos seems to lend itself to IMO. Don't forget
your
> Divine Sign!
>
> Matt Morgan

Plenty of NEC vampires also have Auspex (like Harbingers or Nagaraja or
certain Giovanni etc); I can see Breath being used agressively in
combination with Aura Reading and other 'let's see your hand before I
choose my strike' methods. (Le Dinh Tho!)

Possibly even some fun with Primal Instincts in an AUS/NEC deck..

-John Flournoy
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 3:52:24 PM

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, Orpheus wrote:

> If it is best for HoS, the inferior is, as of now disappointing : they can
> only recruit Puppeteers, and these need some serious help to become useful.

Harbingers can also get Masquers and can use this card for additional
stealth when doing so, if needed. I doubt this is going to be winning all
the championships this year, but it's not a terrible option. If you're
playing intercept, you're expecting combat and superior Breath (which all
the HoS can play) becomes useful, especially when you're picking your
strike second.

Block with your Masquer. Strike superior Breath of Thanatos + Rotschreck.
It's the new Tzimisce!

The real advantage I see there is that most decks that rely on intercept
permanents do most of their equipping and recruiting at +1 stealth so
another intercept deck (or even an early Sport Bike or media outlet) can
make life difficult. Breath would be useful to the Harbingers if they
need extra stealth and still useful if they don't.

Or you could do Giovanni intercept with the Path of Bone and Tower of
London. I'm not actually a big fan of intercept strategies but that's
what Breath of Thanatos seems to lend itself to IMO. Don't forget your
Divine Sign!

Matt Morgan
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 3:55:30 PM

> act mod
> combat
> Necromancy
>
> 1 blood
>
> [nec] +2 stealth only usable on an action to employ or recruit a wraith
> [NEC] 1 aggravated damage

[NEC] Strike: 1 aggravated damage
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 5:08:07 PM

David Zopf wrote:
> Hah. May I suggest that all players refer to a superior of Breath of

> Thanatos as "The Ivory Bone"
>
> :p
>
> DaveZ
> Atom Weaver

I´ll side to that, and raise my glass.

cheers
Luciano/The_Baital
A.B of CWB/Mr.Baali
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 5:50:24 PM

On 17 Feb 2005 07:04:31 -0800, andrea.la.malfa@infinito.it wrote:

>act mod
>combat
>Necromancy
>1 blood
>[nec] +2 stealth only usable on an action to employ or recruit a wraith
>[NEC] 1 aggravated damage
>Andrea

Nice. Kinda like it.
Cards that can be used in different situations are welcome.

best,

Fabio "Sooner" Macedo
V:TES National Coordinator for Brazil
Giovanni Newsletter Editor
V:tES Brasil Site (only in Portuguese for now)
http://planeta.terra.com.br/lazer/vtesbrasil/
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 6:24:23 PM

Gregory Stuart Pettigrew wrote:
> > more Wraiths?
> >
> > Doubtful, none of the new titles have names like
> >
> > Xenon(Wraith)
> >

> All the existing Wraiths (save Spiritual Protector) came out during
Final
> Nights, when Ally/Retainer Type was just introduced. It made sense to
put
> (Wraith) in the title. Since then, only Mylan Horseed (Goblin),
> Neighborhood Watch Commander (Hunter), and Carlton Van Wyk (Hunter)
have
> the paranthetical usage, probably put in so that White Wolf can more
> easily choose to do weird Kith/Imbued stuff in later sets.

Ambrosius is very angry that you forgot about him! (He is a wraith who
came out in Ancient Hearts BTW). Come to think of it, the Death Pact
wraith is pretty pissed off too! ;)

- Eric Chiang
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 7:24:44 PM

Gregory Stuart Pettigrew wrote:
> > Could be. But it looks more to me like : WW wants to be clear about
things,
> > and that we know what cards can be used by or for a hunter, wraith,
mortal,
> > werewolf etc.
> >

> Then why don't High Top, Cry Wolf, and Ossian have (Werewolf) in
their
> title? Why don't all the new Mortals/Ghouls/Dhampirs/etc. have their
type
> in their title, also? Mylan's and the Hunters paranthetical text are
> currently *absent* from any current game effect. This implies that
> (Wraith) was there in Final Nights solely to call attention to the
*new*
> Ally-Type rule. Since that rule is no longer new, there's no need to
> announce the type of a new Ally/Retainer.

Renegade Garou was the first werewolf ally, introduced before the ally
types mattered.

I suspect some of them (Goblin, Hunter) are still put in parenthesis to
distinguish them somewhat from others of their type, i.e. (Hunter) is a
subtype of Mortal, (Goblin) is a subtype of changeling, etc.

So far, they don't matter, but if they do something with it in the
future, it saves WW from needing to reprint or issue errata to those
cards, and makes it very obvious.

John
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 8:00:02 PM

> more Wraiths?
>
> Doubtful, none of the new titles have names like
>
> Xenon(Wraith)

All the existing Wraiths (save Spiritual Protector) came out during Final
Nights, when Ally/Retainer Type was just introduced. It made sense to put
(Wraith) in the title. Since then, only Mylan Horseed (Goblin),
Neighborhood Watch Commander (Hunter), and Carlton Van Wyk (Hunter) have
the paranthetical usage, probably put in so that White Wolf can more
easily choose to do weird Kith/Imbued stuff in later sets.

- Gregory Stuart Pettigrew (who may be speaking too soon and used a lot of
paratheses)
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 8:19:09 PM

> Exactly, I was equipping with a Hawg to press to second round and then
> manuevering with Ruins of Villers Abbey, Belgium after I had spent 2 blood
> on the first round.to get two manuevers.

You were?

.....wait a minute. Have I missed Crusade: Xian's House '05 already?

Damn, and I wanted to get some money down on the pet cat to defend it's
title with the turbo Wolf Valentine deck too.

mattgreen.
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 8:44:19 PM

> Could be. But it looks more to me like : WW wants to be clear about things,
> and that we know what cards can be used by or for a hunter, wraith, mortal,
> werewolf etc.

Then why don't High Top, Cry Wolf, and Ossian have (Werewolf) in their
title? Why don't all the new Mortals/Ghouls/Dhampirs/etc. have their type
in their title, also? Mylan's and the Hunters paranthetical text are
currently *absent* from any current game effect. This implies that
(Wraith) was there in Final Nights solely to call attention to the *new*
Ally-Type rule. Since that rule is no longer new, there's no need to
announce the type of a new Ally/Retainer.
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 9:40:38 PM

"Luis Duarte - Powerbase:Lisbon" <luis.paleta@netcabo.pt> escribió en el
mensaje news:1108660936.918121.4920@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> andrea.la.malfa@infinito.it wrote:
> > act mod
> > combat
> > Necromancy
> >
> > 1 blood
> >
> > [nec] +2 stealth only usable on an action to employ or recruit a
> wraith
>
> This is supposed to be an incentive to play with Wraiths... for now
> it's too much 'corner case'. Maybe it fits well in an Ambrosius/Talbot
> Chainsaw deck. It's a pity Felix being Unique...

Perhaps we'll see other wraiths in this expansion

> > [NEC] 1 aggravated damage
>
> This is interesting but i believe only to play in a surprise basis. It
> isn't Ranged, it isn't Strength damage and requires superior
> Necromancy.
>
> Even so, i'm certain that a couple of these cards will feet well in any
> Giovanni Power Bleed or Shambling Hordes deck... ;-)

I *LOVE* Sideslip

> .- Luis Duarte

February 17, 2005 10:31:53 PM

LOL. I wonder why so many people think I might be interested in things
necromantic... ;-)

Funny, when I saw the name in the list I hoped it was Nec, and somewhat
thought it could have been a nice Than with a Nec outferior...

> >act mod
> >combat
> >Necromancy
> >1 blood
> >[nec] +2 stealth only usable on an action to employ or recruit a wraith
> >[NEC] Strike : 1 aggravated damage

Ok. I guess we'll talk about this card again soon, in the next Newlsetters
and on the Necrosite (I promise to try to update it with all K:MW cards).

First impressions :

inf : as Tom said, will be much better if we get more intersting wraith
allies in K:MW. As such, nice but cornercase, for reasons linked to the sup
version.

sup : a Nec combat card, this is nice. Not usable under Grapple is less
nice, but I guess they didn't want to make it as lethal as Pro ? It wouldn't
be, mind you, because it does aggravs in sup. As it is, a Pot deck will
seldom use it, so it's a "surprise" in other decks ; particularly For / Nec,
so of course I'm thinking Harbingers (Fast Reaction if the Goblyn is here
for untap...). The Samedi don't really need this, and too few have NEC.

If it is best for HoS, the inferior is, as of now disappointing : they can
only recruit Puppeteers, and these need some serious help to become useful.

BTW, this and my recent trys at Samedi fight make me think that an
alternative to Grapple / Psyche [FR / HL] allowing to fight S:CE and dodges
under another discipline (yes, I know, the event... let's be serious
please). For could be an option. Or Obf, but HL looks like the logical
thing...

Okay, whatever. It can be useful sometimes, and it is a different Nec card.
I'm not overjoyed, but it is nice. Let's see the rest at the pre-release...

----------------
Orpheus of Thanatos.
February 17, 2005 11:23:10 PM

"David Wilson, Mask of a Thousand Names" <dervish13@gmail.com> a écrit dans
le message de news: 1108664851.460107.274420@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> more Wraiths?
>
> Doubtful, none of the new titles have names like
>
> Xenon(Wraith)
>
> although there is still some hope.

But slim, you're right.

Maybe a card giving more interest to existing puppeteers (as the one I
suggested once, maybe) ?

Aus / Nec intercept / Rötbeurk ? Why not... Will need some maneuvers,
though.

Well, anyway, a card with various possibilities is always nice, and that's
what Nec is about !
-----------
Orpheus
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 12:24:02 AM

<andrea.la.malfa@infinito.it> wrote in message
> act mod
> combat
> Necromancy
>
> 1 blood
>
> [nec] +2 stealth only usable on an action to employ or recruit a wraith
> [NEC] 1 aggravated damage

Hah. May I suggest that all players refer to a superior of Breath of
Thanatos as "The Ivory Bone"

:p

DaveZ
Atom Weaver
February 18, 2005 2:34:43 AM

"Gregory Stuart Pettigrew" <etherial@sidehack.sat.gweep.net> a écrit dans le
message de news: 20050217163946.K5602@sidehack.sat.gweep.net...
> > more Wraiths?
> >
> > Doubtful, none of the new titles have names like
> >
> > Xenon(Wraith)
> >

> All the existing Wraiths (save Spiritual Protector) came out during Final
> Nights, when Ally/Retainer Type was just introduced. It made sense to put
> (Wraith) in the title. Since then, only Mylan Horseed (Goblin),
> Neighborhood Watch Commander (Hunter), and Carlton Van Wyk (Hunter) have
> the paranthetical usage, probably put in so that White Wolf can more
> easily choose to do weird Kith/Imbued stuff in later sets.

Could be. But it looks more to me like : WW wants to be clear about things,
and that we know what cards can be used by or for a hunter, wraith, mortal,
werewolf etc.
---------
Orpheus
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 7:11:16 AM

On 17 Feb 2005 15:24:23 -0800, echiang777@yahoo.com wrote:

>Gregory Stuart Pettigrew wrote:
>> > more Wraiths?
>> >
>> > Doubtful, none of the new titles have names like
>> >
>> > Xenon(Wraith)
>> >

>> All the existing Wraiths (save Spiritual Protector) came out during
>Final
>> Nights, when Ally/Retainer Type was just introduced. It made sense to
>put
>> (Wraith) in the title. Since then, only Mylan Horseed (Goblin),
>> Neighborhood Watch Commander (Hunter), and Carlton Van Wyk (Hunter)
>have
>> the paranthetical usage, probably put in so that White Wolf can more
>> easily choose to do weird Kith/Imbued stuff in later sets.
>

>Ambrosius is very angry that you forgot about him! (He is a wraith who
>came out in Ancient Hearts BTW). Come to think of it, the Death Pact
>wraith is pretty pissed off too! ;)

But then again, who would be? Poor sod...

So, is there another discipline blessed with *2* cards along the lines
of Death pact and Eyes of the Dead? Serpentis has Mummify, but
everything else isn't quite *this* bad I think...
The Lynxkitten

History is not written by those who are right
But by those who are left
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 9:29:41 AM

> So, is there another discipline blessed with *2* cards along the lines
> of Death pact and Eyes of the Dead? Serpentis has Mummify, but
> everything else isn't quite *this* bad I think...
> The Lynxkitten

Eyes of the Serpent?
Phobia?
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 2:52:01 PM

Matthew T. Morgan wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Feb 2005, Orpheus wrote:
>
> > Grasp the Ghostly (come one, it doesn't
> > look that bad, but who uses it, really ??)
>
> Why just last night I used Grasp the Ghostly as a proxy. No card is
> completely useless!

I occasionally use Grasp the Ghostly in decks, mainly because my local
environment goes through weapon-heavy cycles. It's a lot of fun to
watch faces when you Grasp an Assault Rifle!

But yeah, it's not that strong, being totally dependent on other
people's decks.

> Matt Morgan

-John Flournoy
February 18, 2005 3:34:04 PM

"Gregory Stuart Pettigrew" <etherial@sidehack.sat.gweep.net> a écrit dans le
message de news: 20050218062637.R60808@sidehack.sat.gweep.net...
> > So, is there another discipline blessed with *2* cards along the lines
> > of Death pact and Eyes of the Dead? Serpentis has Mummify, but
> > everything else isn't quite *this* bad I think...
> > The Lynxkitten
> >

> Eyes of the Serpent?
> Phobia?

We still have Torment of the Soul, Grasp the Ghostly (come one, it doesn't
look that bad, but who uses it, really ??), Soul Stealing (could have been a
nice combo with that Harbingers chick but no)...

So, I think we Necromancers still have the worst rata of bad cards !! At
least it's a record.... ;)

Hope we'll get more good ones in K:MW. Sure need'em.

-------------
Orpheus, Necromonger anyway.
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 3:34:05 PM

"Orpheus" <orpheus.13@ERASERHEADfree.fr> wrote in message news:<4215d2a5$0$7852$636a15ce@news.free.fr>...
> "Gregory Stuart Pettigrew" <etherial@sidehack.sat.gweep.net> a écrit dans le
> message de news: 20050218062637.R60808@sidehack.sat.gweep.net...
> > > So, is there another discipline blessed with *2* cards along the lines
> > > of Death pact and Eyes of the Dead? Serpentis has Mummify, but
> > > everything else isn't quite *this* bad I think...
> > > The Lynxkitten
> > >

> > Eyes of the Serpent?
> > Phobia?
>
> We still have Torment of the Soul, Grasp the Ghostly (come one, it doesn't
> look that bad, but who uses it, really ??), Soul Stealing (could have been a
> nice combo with that Harbingers chick but no)...
>
> So, I think we Necromancers still have the worst rata of bad cards !! At
> least it's a record.... ;)
> Hope we'll get more good ones in K:MW. Sure need'em.
>
> -------------
> Orpheus, Necromonger anyway.

Sorry but I have to disagree here...

Serpentis has AT LEAST the same number of "useless" cards as
Necromancy has. But why do you always hear people say that Quietus is
the "worst" discipline in the game? (Ok.. Serpentis/Necromancy may
come in close second, but more people have said Quietus is really bad
in general than Serpentis and Necromancy put together). Because it
isn´t the number of bad cards a discipline has that makes it better or
worse in general. Its the number of GOOD cards that will make or break
a discipline. THAT`S why Quietus is generally viewed as worse, because
it doesn´t have any cards that are viewed as "power" cards like
Temptation or Call the Hungry Dead. Nor many cards that whole decks
are built around like Shambling Hordes, Jar the Soul or Typhonic
Beast.

Necromancy has far more useFUL cards than Serpentis. Serpentis usually
has a "Fame or Lame" tiwst to it´s cards... they are either very good
like Temptation, Form of Corruption and Enticement or never used like
Eyes of the Serpent, Phobia or Mummify (and Mummify IS the better of
the three, trust me).

Necromancy has more all-around good cards like Masquer, Shambling
Hordes, Possession, Daemonic Possession, Spiritual Intervention,
Haunt, Summon Soul, Whispers from the Dead, Call of the Hungry Dead,
Spectral Divination, Jar the Soul etc..

And with Breath of Thanatos, Necromancy (thus Necromancers) will be
hitting back in combat now. Think of it as a MUCH cheaper Coma for you
guys (yes, they can prevent it... but you cant have everything for
1blood).

So again, I have to disagree... if you really want a ride on the
non-competitive side of V:TES, try Serpentis for a while. :)  It won´t
be long before "Heck, it´s just a bunch of cards orbiting Form of
Corruption and Temptation!" passes through your mind. Of course that´s
not true, but sooner or later the thought DOES cross your mind.

Ironically, Necromancy helps Serpentis a lot (and the Setites) in
V:TES. Cards like Corruption, Venenation, Reformation and (to a lesser
degree) all that stealth you need to pass your actions taku up a LOT
of space in your deck. Space that can be saved with the strategical
placement of a few Necromancy cards and/or Carlotta/Sargon Fragments
and all that Nec/Gio stuff that´s so useful to get your cards back.

Let´s hope KMW gives Serpentis at least one more "OK, it´s good,
period." card. :)  (hope for a lot of good things for Necromancy too!!!
:D )
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 4:38:47 PM

!