Player's Handbook II

Joseph

Distinguished
May 19, 2002

This may not have been officially announced by WOTC, but Amazon has
Player's Handbook II up. Makes sense after the making of Dungeon Master
Guide II this year.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0786939184/qid=1124923175/sr=
1-4/ref=sr_1_4/103-6698331-5200602?v=glance&s=books

Christopher Adams wrote:
> If it's as good as the Dungeon Master's Guide II, and does the same sort of
> thing, it'll be gold.

I must have been asleep - has there been a review of DMG II here?
What's new in it, or is it mostly errata, clarifications, etc?

Joseph wrote:

> This may not have been officially announced by WOTC, but Amazon has
> Player's Handbook II up. Makes sense after the making of Dungeon Master
> Guide II this year.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0786939184/

Fixed the link for you. :)

--
Christopher Adams - Sydney, Australia
The geek with roots in Hell!

Who do you blame when your kid is a - brat?
Pampered and spoiled like a Siamese - cat?
Blaming the kids is a lie and a - shame!
You know exactly who's - to - blame:
The mother and the father!

see new ideas take form at WOTC

Alioshin wrote:

> see new ideas take form at WOTC

Do you have a point, you unsnipping top-poster, you?

--

Christopher Adams wrote:
> Joseph wrote:
> >
> > This may not have been officially announced by WOTC, but Amazon has
> > Player's Handbook II up. Makes sense after the making of Dungeon Master
> > Guide II this year.
> >
> > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0786939184/
>
> Fixed the link for you. :)
>
> If it's as good as the Dungeon Master's Guide II, and does the same sort of
> thing, it'll be gold.

I've only taken a quick look at DMG II but I didn't see anything worth
buying it for.

I'll give you 10 to 1 the PHB II is full of prestige classes.

- Justisaur

"Justisaur" <justisaur@gmail.com> wrote in message

> I've only taken a quick look at DMG II but I didn't see anything worth
> buying it for.

Ditto.

> I'll give you 10 to 1 the PHB II is full of prestige classes.

I'd take that bet. It wont have any PrCs in it. I'm betting that it compiles
the new base classes, feats and skill uses from the complete series with the
races from the races series.

I just hope there is something NEW in it.

Justisaur wrote:

>Christopher Adams wrote:
>

>>Joseph wrote:
>>

>>>This may not have been officially announced by WOTC, but Amazon has
>>>Player's Handbook II up. Makes sense after the making of Dungeon Master
>>>Guide II this year.
>>>
>>>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0786939184/
>>>

>>Fixed the link for you. :)
>>
>>If it's as good as the Dungeon Master's Guide II, and does the same sort of
>>thing, it'll be gold.
>>

>I've only taken a quick look at DMG II but I didn't see anything worth
>buying it for.
>
>I'll give you 10 to 1 the PHB II is full of prestige classes.
>
>- Justisaur

I picked up a copy of the DMG II. I was underwhelmed. I only did a
fairly fast read through however. I might need to do a cover-to-cover to
see if I wasted my money.

Sadly it may be my last gaming book purchase for a while. Finances
took a turn for the worse...

--
Tetsubo
My page: http://home.comcast.net/~tetsubo/

Justisaur <justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:

> Christopher Adams wrote:
>> Joseph wrote:
>> >
>> > This may not have been officially announced by WOTC, but Amazon has
>> > Player's Handbook II up. Makes sense after the making of Dungeon Master
>> > Guide II this year.
>> >
>> > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0786939184/
>>
>> Fixed the link for you. :)
>>
>> If it's as good as the Dungeon Master's Guide II, and does the same sort of
>> thing, it'll be gold.
>>

> I've only taken a quick look at DMG II but I didn't see anything worth
> buying it for.

If you're an experienced DM, a *lot* of the book is advice you already
know. Useful to reread (and remind yourself of); it covers stuff that
as an experienced DM you've probably learned the hard way and don't
think about often any more.

Some of the crunch is useful -- they provide some sample characters of
various archetypes (such as 'cultist') that you can throw in as needed.

I could see it being a *handy* book, but it's not profound. I found
Unearthed Arcana *way* more interesting and useful.

Keith

Keith Davies wrote:

> I could see it being a *handy* book, but it's not profound. I found
> Unearthed Arcana *way* more interesting and useful.

I agree, but the Dungeon Master's Guide II is more useful to DMs playing the
game by the standard rules. Anyway, if you already have Unearthed Arcana, it's a
good second choice.

--

Christopher Adams <mhacdebhandia@yahoo.invalid> wrote:
> Keith Davies wrote:
>>
>> I could see it being a *handy* book, but it's not profound. I found
>> Unearthed Arcana *way* more interesting and useful.
>
> I agree, but the Dungeon Master's Guide II is more useful to DMs
> playing the game by the standard rules. Anyway, if you already have
> Unearthed Arcana, it's a good second choice.

While I'm not using standard rules (far from, if you read my kjd-imc
posts!) I didn't see much there that was that great. Some of the things
would be handy (such as the 'character templates' like the cultist I
mentioned), but nothing a DM couldn't come up with on his own fairly
easily.

New monsters and classes are harder because you have to design them and
consider their balance. Template NPCs aren't as hard because it's
simply applying what's already been done. Time-consuming, but not
difficult.

There were some ideas I'd be interested in pursuing -- the special
locations are one example -- but frankly I wish I hadn't spent the money
on it.

Keith

Keith Davies wrote:
> Christopher Adams wrote:
>> Keith Davies wrote:
>
>>> I could see it being a *handy* book, but it's not profound. I found
>>> Unearthed Arcana *way* more interesting and useful.
>>
>> I agree, but the Dungeon Master's Guide II is more useful to DMs
>> playing the game by the standard rules. Anyway, if you already have
>> Unearthed Arcana, it's a good second choice.
>
> While I'm not using standard rules (far from, if you read my kjd-imc
> posts!) I didn't see much there that was that great. Some of the things
> would be handy (such as the 'character templates' like the cultist I
> mentioned), but nothing a DM couldn't come up with on his own fairly
> easily.

Ah, but that's the point: it's for DMs who don't have the time.

--
Christopher Adams - Sydney, Australia
The geek with roots in Hell!
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/mhacdebhandia/prestigeclasslist.html
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/mhacdebhandia/templatelist.html

Who do you blame when your kid is a - brat?
Pampered and spoiled like a Siamese - cat?
Blaming the kids is a lie and a - shame!
You know exactly who's - to - blame:
The mother and the father!

Christopher Adams <mhacdebhandia@yahoo.invalid> wrote:
> Keith Davies wrote:
>> Christopher Adams wrote:

>>> I agree, but the Dungeon Master's Guide II is more useful to DMs
>>> playing the game by the standard rules. Anyway, if you already have
>>> Unearthed Arcana, it's a good second choice.
>>
>> While I'm not using standard rules (far from, if you read my kjd-imc
>> posts!) I didn't see much there that was that great. Some of the things
>> would be handy (such as the 'character templates' like the cultist I
>> mentioned), but nothing a DM couldn't come up with on his own fairly
>> easily.
>
> Ah, but that's the point: it's for DMs who don't have the time.

There weren't that many things that it looks like it really helps with,
though. *Some*, if what you're looking for is there, but if not or it
doesn't fit, you're rolling your own. Which isn't particularly hard.
They have what, 6-12 such character templates?

Keith