Way to read Zire 72 movies on a Mac?

June 18, 2005 1:34:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

I installed the latest Windows Media Player for OSX and still cant read
the Zire 72 recorded movies on my Mac. I could not on OS 9, so I
thought OSX would help. I thought wrong. Or does someone have a way?

John

--
http://johnw.freeshell.org/bible/
Heb. 4:12-For the word of God is living and

More about : read zire movies mac

Anonymous
June 18, 2005 9:10:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

In article <john.doggett-557139.09342718062005@news.charter.net>, Bible
John <john.doggett@x-files.gov> wrote:

> I installed the latest Windows Media Player for OSX and still cant read
> the Zire 72 recorded movies on my Mac. I could not on OS 9, so I
> thought OSX would help. I thought wrong. Or does someone have a way?

Quicktime supports mpeg-4 ...
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 9:10:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.mac.system (More info?)

In article <guy-1806051011590001@192.168.1.103>,
guy@ether.net (Guy Bannis) wrote:

> Quicktime supports mpeg-4 ..

No the files do not open in mac OSX Tiger's QuickTime.

I double click on this file

Video_050105_001.asf

And Media Player opens and it cant read the file, and neither can the
QuickTime player when I try to open it.

So is there anyway that I can read Zire 72 movies on my Mac?

Thanks,

John

--
http://johnw.freeshell.org/bible/
Heb. 4:12-For the word of God is living and
active. Sharper than any double-edged sword,
it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints
and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes
of the heart.
June 19, 2005 12:20:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.mac.system (More info?)

John, where do your movies come from? What application created them?

What application are you using to read them on the Zire 72?

What application is doing the conversion? (I doubt that HotSync does any
conversion but I'm not 100% sure of that.)

In article <1119116589.fbe222da5afcce0b6cc1a26925227374@teranews>, Bible
John <john.doggett@x-files.gov> wrote:

> In article <guy-1806051011590001@192.168.1.103>,
> guy@ether.net (Guy Bannis) wrote:
>
> > Quicktime supports mpeg-4 ..
>
> No the files do not open in mac OSX Tiger's QuickTime.
>
> I double click on this file
>
> Video_050105_001.asf
>
> And Media Player opens and it cant read the file, and neither can the
> QuickTime player when I try to open it.
>
> So is there anyway that I can read Zire 72 movies on my Mac?
>
> Thanks,
>

> John
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 12:20:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.mac.system (More info?)

In article <guy-1806051321480001@192.168.1.103>,
guy@ether.net (Guy Bannis) wrote:

> John, where do your movies come from? What application created them?
>
> What application are you using to read them on the Zire 72?
>
> What application is doing the conversion? (I doubt that HotSync does any
> conversion but I'm not 100% sure of that.)

Whatever the default stuff is using. I installed no third party
software. I believe the app is called media, but I am not sure.

The movies are created with the built in video camera. They play fine
on the Zire, but cant on the Mac.

NOTE- This is a seperate thread and issue than the MPEG4 problem I
have. Reading MPEG4 movies on my Palm would be nice, but its not
possible at this time at least in a widely tested reliable app. I can
live with standard Mpg.

--
http://johnw.freeshell.org/bible/
Heb. 4:12-For the word of God is living and
active. Sharper than any double-edged sword,
it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints
and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes
of the heart.
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 1:23:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.mac.system (More info?)

Bible John <john.doggett@x-files.gov> wrote:

> In article <guy-1806051321480001@192.168.1.103>,
> guy@ether.net (Guy Bannis) wrote:
>
> > John, where do your movies come from? What application created them?
> >
> > What application are you using to read them on the Zire 72?
> >
> > What application is doing the conversion? (I doubt that HotSync does any
> > conversion but I'm not 100% sure of that.)
>
> Whatever the default stuff is using. I installed no third party
> software. I believe the app is called media, but I am not sure.
>
> The movies are created with the built in video camera. They play fine
> on the Zire, but cant on the Mac.

It's a bit of an odd one - .asf files are 'Advanced Streaming Format', a
format that streams video and audio over networks. (more info here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/format/as...).

My Zire doesn't produce those files...

But if your Zire won't produce any other files you might try with
Windows Media Player for the Mac, which you can find here:

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/otherproducts/otherproduct...
smedia

or, if that fails, VLC Media Player, which you'll be able to find on
versiontracker.com

Hope this helps.
July 24, 2005 6:45:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Try VLC..

http://www.videolan.org/

it appears to be able to play .asf on Macs

Marc

!