XP Home vs. 2000

aznThunder

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2003
Here's a quickie: are there any features in XP Home (not Pro) that are missing in Win2000? The new UI and new crappy n00b features don't count.

"I've got a great new idea for a value product-line! We charge the customer the same price, and we give them a slower product!"
"How is that a value?"
"Oh, it's a value for us, of course."

GhostKat

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
XP Home has Simple file sharing, 2000 does not. Weither this is a feature or crippling is up for debate.

Would Remote assistance be a feature?

GK

Yes, I made it past newbie w00t.

dinkster9

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2001
This is a joke right? You are not actually considering xp home over 2000 pro?!? features? um how about stability, usability, works when you install it, looks better, feels better. I would pick win98se over xp home. you need 2000 or xp pro. I don't like xp for its GUI, but damn, don't go with home addition to anything!!!!!...microsoft hates home user/hackers lol.

"sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick"

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
XP home is just a little bit better than win Me. we all should know how "great" Me is. LOL
If you are considering between just those two go for 2000. it is a much better os even if it doesn't include some of the flashiness of XP home. If possible get XP pro, it's a merger between the stability of 2000 and the new flashiness of XP. I don't know what exactly why xp home is like that but it just is. don't get it at all costs.

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
your horribly exaggerating

XP Home isnt that bad at all. it just lacks the detailed network settings that XP Pro has. i know because ive used and installed them lots of time as i was a card swapper in a repair shop

win2k Pro is my favorite

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

<A HREF="http://www.xgr.com" target="_new">XGR-Game Reviews</A>

My friends Gaming Review Site. Check it out.
*i was the one playing UT2003 in teh review heh heh* "feels important"

dinkster9

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2001
Of course I am. LOL. you must be one of those people who liked windows ME too. HUM? if microsoft puts it out...its great? I don't like it because it lacks networking stuff? are you serious man...I lacks all sorts of stablility. If you only used it to load up solitaire or MS products (like office) of course its stable as hell those were all programmed expecially for it. BUT if you are like the greater majority of computer users, we all add on software to our system that microsoft didn't actually program, and ME or XP home chokes up on that.

Ask around, you will be a laughing stock if you actually try to promote stability in xp home addition.

dhlucke

Polypheme
Why is XP home not stable. XP Pro is. What is the difference that is making home unstable?

<font color=red>GOD</font color=red> <font color=blue>BLESS</font color=blue> <font color=red>AMERICA</font color=red>

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
your a tard..

he doesnt know wat hes talking about. XP home is just a cut down version of the pro edition. theres nothing wrong with it

-------

<A HREF="http://www.xgr.com" target="_new">XGR-Game Reviews</A>

"You change the channel, and you change our minds..." - System of a Down

dinkster9

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2001
i'm just speaking from experience. Family after family calls me up swearing left and right that they were taken with their new 2000 store bought p4. Talking about crashes blue screens of death and overall non stability. First off I tell them they were morons for buying a computer system from a store in town, then I ask them what their operating system is, (tough one here) oh, we shelled out 100 bucks for xp home addition!?!?!. I drive over to their house, format their drive, install 2000pro and all their other stuff (takes me hours, non paid, because they are friends) Weeks later, they are still calling me up blessing my soul for saving them from putting an axe through their worthless 2000$ computer. I'm not saying this because I don't like xp, i'm saying this because my hands on experience has shown that 10 to 1 chances are that a computer with xp home is not going to be stable for most users. XP pro is solid just like 2000pro. Simply stated, get the pro versions of microsoft, the home versions are much less stable (and microsoft even says this, they know no businesses would purchase something as bad as ME, but they also know that the average 50 yearold person who is just buying a computer has no idea that ME is so bad)

*grabs a stick and places it into the flames* mmmm, smores

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
I'm a little confused here. There are a number of differences between home and pro (see <A HREF="http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp" target="_new">here</A> for more info) but I can't understand what these differences have to do with stability. I would wager that these folks that called you up and are blessing the ground you walk on would have had the same stability problems with pro. Can you offer any additional facts that support your "Home is unstable compared to Pro" assertation?

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

dinkster9

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2001
No i don't. And i'm not talking about a direct comparison because i'm talking about moving from xp HOME to WIN2000PRO, (not xp pro) yes simingly you would have the same problems on xp pro, but everyone seems to like it so i don't dog it too much. It works, but i don't like having to disable 40 options just to use an operation system. So for all the newbie 50 yearold buyers out there who sit down to xp home and go insaine with all the crap and have blue screens all the time, the easy choice is go with the best, 2000pro, end of problems. Looks, feels, works nice. Pro is packaged better and build to be more stable. its just a fact. Look at nt4.0 it was and looked like windows 95/98, it did basically the same things (yes there were a few differences duh). And if you wanted stability you went with nt, not win95 for your office. All i'm saying is that the trend is the same, if you want stability you have to go with the pro additions or NT=pro additions, because the home additions of microsoft suck ass, 95,98,ME, xp home, Tell me these operating systems were rock solid stable! I couldn't get me to work for me than 2 days before a crash.

*grabs a stick and places it into the flames* mmmm, smores

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
There isn't, he's talkin out his [-peep-]. He is very proficient as well.

Just because some OEM monkey built a crap system or the home users hosed thier rigs by downloading Gator/Kazaa/WinMX/Hotbar and all the rest of those goodies doesn't mean that WinXP home is unstable.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
I don't doubt your experiences with Home. Mine have been different (systems I've built with Home). They've all been reliable. To each his own, I guess.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
I just upgraded from windows xp pro to win 2k pro (no that is not a typo) and i have found it to be just as stable so far but windows 2k runs much faster, and i hated the fact that in xp pro windows was constantly trying to access the internet (everytime you click help, or search) also that windows messanger pisses me off because it is very hard to disable it even if i dissable it to start up via msconfig if you opened outlook express it would start right up again. Also no fruity gui on win 2k (no wizards, jumping puppies, light greens or blues). I suppose my sister would like this OS but i doubt many power users do. Although i do like one feature of xp pro, through registry tweaks you can press the right control and print screen twice and windows will crash great when you are frusturated. Really though win xp only made one upgrade, i do think that windows xp does handle driver installation better than windows 2k (that's the only improvment IMHO). Also windows 2k seems to use less disk space.

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Win2k is about half the size of XP Pro.

If you want to really get 2k flying go here:
<A HREF="http://snakefoot.fateback.com/tweak/winnt/default.html" target="_new">http://snakefoot.fateback.com/tweak/winnt/default.html</A>

And try some of the tweaks...
Especially turning off unused services...

I routinely do most of what's there, some of my own and some from utilities like TWEAKUI... Done correctly you can almost double it's speed over the installation defaults.... without sacrificing any needed functionality.

---><font color=green>It ain't better if it don't work</font color=green><---