Sign in with
Your question

Poor video card performance.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 22, 2003 6:06:37 AM

Hi all, I'm in desperate need of assistance.

I'm having problems with a GeForce4 MX440-SE card I recently put into a machine. It's performing VERY poorly, and is scoring badly in all benchmarking utilities.

I suspect that the card is running in PCI mode, even though it's in the AGP slot. When I view the card properties, it reports the following: BUS: AGP (PCI Mode). I've poured through the BIOS, and have set all relevent BIOS settings to AGP, tried 1x, 2x, and 4x AGP, updated the motherboard firmware, and am running the latest Detonator drivers.

This system is scoring a measley 2400 in 3DMark2001, and performing at about half what a GeForce 2MX does in HardInfo 2002. I know this can't be right because my friends PC scored about double that, the only difference being that he has an ASUS mobo and DDR RAM. I'm seriously at a loss.

System Specs:
GeForce4 MX400-SE
Athlon XP 1700+
ASRock K7VM2 mobo
256MB PC133 SDRam

<A HREF="http://www.ircnews.com" target="_new">IRCNews.com</A> - better than r00ted panties
a b U Graphics card
February 23, 2003 5:59:50 AM

Try reinstalling your chipset drivers, then reinstalling the video card drivers.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>
February 23, 2003 2:01:22 PM

I already updated everything. Reinstalled the latest Det drivers (even though I alredy had them, just to be sure), installed the latest Via 4in1 drivers (which actually DECREASED my performance even more, so I reinstalled the old ones), and updated my BIOS.

On a side note, I managed to get my card to acknowledge that it's running AGP 4x, but still little to no performance improvement over PCI mode.

*sigh*

<A HREF="http://www.ircnews.com" target="_new">IRCNews.com</A> - better than r00ted panties
Related resources
February 23, 2003 3:05:21 PM

well the reason for poor performance is 2 things, first off you have the geforce 4 MX series, which is the "value" card. It will not get you a very high score, maybe 4k max. The 2'nd thing slowing you down is the sdram, together their going to slow you down like crazy.

"What kind of idiot are you?"
"I don't know, what kinds are there?"
February 23, 2003 5:12:59 PM

I'm aware that it's a budget card, and I'm not expecting stellar performance from it. As I stated, a friend of mine has the EXACT same card as I do (I know, I built and maintain his machine), and he scores 5500 3DMarks while I'm lucky to score 3000.

As for the DDR RAM, all my research indicates that the only thing DDR would improve in a game is load times. There's little performance boost once the game is running compared to SD RAM.

At any rate, I think I've exausted my options on this one. I'm going out today to get an ASUS mobo and see if that helps.

<A HREF="http://www.ircnews.com" target="_new">IRCNews.com</A> - better than r00ted panties<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by fadeaway on 02/23/03 02:15 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
February 24, 2003 10:48:24 AM

Quote:
As for the DDR RAM, all my research indicates that the only thing DDR would improve in a game is load times. There's little performance boost once the game is running compared to SD RAM

..hmm, OK...So all it does is improve game load time? Make no <b>overall</b> system performance improvements? Well, must just be me then...
February 24, 2003 2:26:05 PM

well ok, ddr has nothing to do with the score, except when spooling information to the cpu, and how dual ddr with the barton cpu's has NOTHING to do with improving performance. Or how the cpu has NOTHING to do with scores to begin with. Face it, cheap ram = low scores. Your sdram isn't in sync with your athlon chip, and therfore will make it run at a slower speed. You'll have to trust me on it, it's the ram slowing you down.

February 24, 2003 2:31:09 PM

And with that, I rest my case!

good one d00d!
February 24, 2003 7:43:42 PM

he's got pc133, so it IS running in sync with his processor
i still think the ram is hurting his scores, and i'm wondering why he's benchmarking with a low end card anyway
if you game, you should have gotten something better
if you don't, internet explorer looks just the same

--------------

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&..." target="_new">mubla otohp eht ni ecaf ruoy teg</A>
February 25, 2003 12:04:37 AM

He's running pc133, Athlon's run at 2x133, which is why they always say 266 fsb. Sdram only runs 1x133, while yes it's sync it's not running at the same speed technically. with ddr ram, it's 2x133, which would match the processor he's using.

!