AIW 9700 Pro "Hangs"

Ecklund1

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2002
I am upgrading my machine from a PII-400/P2B/TNT2/Win2k to a P4-2.53Ghz/P4G8X/AIW 9700 Pro/Win 2k, but only have the P4 & 9700 so far. I could not wait to try the AIW, so I put it in my Asus P2B. Everything works fine until I run 3D apps. It will work for an variable amount of time then, without warning, hang HARD! I have 256Mb memory.
I have updated my bios and tried tweaking the chipset hoping to resolve this with no gain. I know this is a mismatch of components (like hooking up a widescreen to rabbit ears!), but can't believe they won't work together.
Any constructive suggestions (other than buy a new M/B) would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

arkus

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2003
I've got a Radeon 9700Pro (Sapphire) in my Athlon 900 (the card was free, or I'd have got a new cpu/mobo first ;)) and I have similar problems.

I get mini-hangs very rarely, but mostly just a crap framrate with games, worse than my GForce32mb. Of course, a mobo that doesn't support 8xAGP doesn't help.

I'd recommend trying diferent versions of the catalyst drivers, and check which version of directX works best. I've seen a lot of posts in these forums criticising ati's drivers and a few discussing the adv/disadv of using directX 9, so mebbe it's worth investigating, tho appreciate you maye have already done this.

Alternatively I guess you just have to wait for your new components ;)

Ecklund1

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2002
Thanks for the reply. I have dx9 and used the catalyst drivers from the box. I haven't tried other drivers, but will try that. Thanks again.
(Nice job on scoring your card for free...)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Actually if you look at Tom's CPU test, that card has been used on boards as old as the MVP3 chipset Socket 7 style (yes, they even tested that card with a Pentium 166 MMX). I certainly doubt it's a motherboard problem. Try backing down your memory timings.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>