Is anyone buying the Geforce FX?

G

Does anyone plan to actually buy that noisy piece of sh!t Nvidia crapped out? Is anyone desperate to get the beefiest GPU no matter how loud or strange it is? I mean, everyone here has been slamming it for it's faults but does anyone plan to buy one?

-I'm not stupid, I'm just big-boned!-

G

i was planning on buying one (waited about 3-4 months) but when the benchmarks were released I just went ahead and got a radeon 9700pro instead. I remember a few people on this board (from the UK i think) saying that they had pre-ordered it. I guess that they are stuck with it now.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Yes sir I will be, there are the rumors that the NV31 and NV34 are coming out very shortly. I will wait and see which product meets my needs.

-Jeremy

:evil: <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5341387" target="_new">Busting Sh@t Up!!!</A> :evil:
:evil: <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?pcm=1060900" target="_new">Busting More Sh@t Up!!!</A> :evil:

eden

Champion
Yes but if he was referring to geForce FX NV30?

I am sure almost everyone here interpreted geForce FX as the current NV30 Ultra.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eden on 02/22/03 04:26 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

No! Quiet is better for me at this point, but I assume the dustbuster can be removed, to watercool the thing.

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.

speeduk

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
I thought about it because im heavily into gaming but the benchmarks show it only just staying ahead of my rad9700pro so no! And to be honest getting my rad to work was a pain so who knows what kind of psu u need for this thing :/

Rubberbband

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2001
Nah, I'm happy with my ti4200 for now. If I was into bragging rights and benchmarks I would but I see no point in upgrading my video card as long as it can still play the games I like. Once it can't, I'll upgrade the whole system again.

The aim of military training is not just to prepare men for battle, but to make them long for it. <A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=327&s" target="_new"><b>MY SYSTEM</b></A>

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
I have a sneaky suspiscion will be seeing an FX_Ultra-256 (or some such) before too long, maybe by summer. I think it will feature two main differences over the FX. It'll have 256-bit memory, and higher yield on the .13 process will allow nVidia to fix the cooling problems. MAYBE, if the yields are high enough, they'll be able to bring the mHz up another 35 or so. We'll see. By that time, it'll probably have the shadow of the R400 looming over it. I am going to buy a new graphics card sometime in the next 4-5 months, but before I make my decision, I want to learn a couple things: Can nVidia figure out a more suitable cooling solution for FX? Will the R350 be substantially faster than R300, or will it just be a baby-step? (Like the GeForfe 3 to Geforce 3 Ti500.)

I am leaning towards buying a Radeon with my next purchase, but I'm keeping my eyes open. I have always felt like nVidia was holding something back, due to years without real competition. Now, ATI is giving some real competition, so we'll see if nVidia really was holding back.

I want to move to space, so I can overclock processors cooled to absolute zero.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Twitch on 02/22/03 10:49 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

wurrmm

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001
I plan on getting a new GPU real soon and will either get the non ultra version of the 5800, whatever the NV31 or NV34 are, or an ATI. However, What I am really waiting for is the NV35.

One mans throw-away is another mans god-box. Help friends in need, I always do!!
Then again, having extra parts are great for making dedicated servers for LAN parties!!!!

dhlucke

Polypheme
Hell no. It sucks in every aspect.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">If you were to have sex with your clone would that be considered incest or masturbation?</A></font color=red>

G

My current card is a GF3Ti500, I still love the thing, and I can overclock the hell outta it.

I guess I buy a new vid card every 2 years, but maybe this time it'll be 2 and a half. It sucks so much that I bought the Ti500 for 300$, and now it's like under $120.

-I'm not stupid, I'm just big-boned!-

eden

Champion
d00d, the normal 5800 is even worse than the FX Ultra, and is 299$. Honestly someone who pays this much when the R9500PRO rivals it at a mere 199$, and is millions of times more silent, must be lost in his right mind.

What I am really waiting for is the NV35
Oh? How sweet, I am not alone! I am waiting for the NV55! I should hold, man that card promises! Ahhh shucks, let's just wait for NV65 while we're at it...

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
And had a 256-bit memory bus! The only area the 9700 Pro really beat the FX (by more than 1-2%) was with FSAA and Anisotropic Filtering on. In other words: High memory bandwidth. It would also be nice if nVidia incorporated PS 1.4 into hardware. The FX is clearly faster at pushing pixels, but needs more memory bandwidth.

eden

Champion
Not it isn't much faster. In fact its fill rate is moderate, and only has 25M more triangles per second, while the R9700PRO was pushing over 150M more triangles per second than the geForce 4 Ti4600.
Heheh, seems to me even ATi's card is performing BS, and that it is far from its peak performance.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The FX cards get beaten into the ground by the 9700s in 3Dmark03.

And now it looks like it's really a 4 pipelines with two TMUs each (like a GF4, not an 8x1 like the 9700) so it does rather badly in single texturing fill rates.

*Dual PIII-800 @900 i440BX and Tualeron 1.2 @1.74 i815*

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
True, though the 9700 PRO has pretty muched reached its maximum thoeretical throughput, whereas the FX was not even approacing it. That means driver issues. Back when the 8500 came out, everyone was comparing the nVidia geForce 3, which had a mature driver set, to the 8500 with its very immature driver set. As the Radeon's drivers matured, it became apparent that the 8500 really was as fast or faster than the geForce 3 Ti500.

The FX drivers are immature. In the benchmarks, the FX was much further from its theoretical fill-rate than the 9700 PRO. The 9700 PRO has been on the market for months. The FX tested was a reference board.

It is clear to me that this all boils down to fandom, so forgive me if I don't participate in the flaming. I'm only relaying what my understanding is from reading a dozen or more reviews. FX is a faster and more advanced card than 9700 PRO, but needs to improve its drivers and its cooling solution. And, incidentally, the geForce FX with optimized drivers beats the 9700 PRO in 3Dmark03.

I have my asbestos suit on, so the ATI fanboys can now slander me for daring to suggest nVidia is not Satan.

By the way, a lot of you people are acting just like the AMD fanboys acted when AMD stole the speedcrown from Intel for the first time. Now, AMD is at a crossroads which may lead to bankruptcy if they don't get their crap together. So, as far as I'm concerned, there just isn't much value in being a fanboy. Both companies want one thing and one thing only, my $.

edwpang

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2001
NVFX has been delayed for such a long time(more than 6 months, I suppose). During this time, Nvidia driver developers should have tweaked their driver enough with the pre-production boards.

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
We'll see. You guys may be right and this will turn out to be the biggest piece of crap ever foisted onto the world. However, when I see that the FX has a theoretical fillrate of 4.0 gigapixels and is attaining less than 3.5 in becnhmarks, whereas Radeon has a thoeritical fill of 2.9 (?) and is attaining 2.85 (?), it makes me think there's some room for tweaking there.

I could be wrong. Maybe the FX's 128-bit memory bus is simply too limited. However, I respectfully disagree with those who claim the 9700 PRO is faster than the FX. That just is not true. Now, I've already said I won't buy one unless they improve the noise. (In fact, I won't be buying for another 65 months anyway, so we'll see what's out then.)However, were it not for the noise, and if the 9700 PRO and the FX were the same price (which they may be, not sure), it would be a tough choice. I might have to go with the FX for its raw performance.

Lefthandblack

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2003
First of all, I am new here and would like to say hello to you all.
I've been following the FX since I first heard about it and initially was planning to buy one, now I'm not so sure.
I'm a hardcore gamer and I build all my own systems. I build a new system about once a year and usually sell my previous system to recoup some of my investment.
I haven't had a problem paying 400$ for a videocard in the past as I know that if I'm not happy with it I can always put it in something I'm going to sell or find someone on Ebay who is willing to buy it from me. I am currently working on my yearly upgrade and am considering which video card to buy. I was going to go with the FX for the video but now I am leaning towards the ATI 9700 pro. The benchmarks I've seen from the 9700 are very impressive and it seems that most people who have purchased one are happy with it. I guess what it boils down to is this, if the 9700 pro goes down considerably in price before the FX gets it's cooling/performance issues resolved I'll go with the 9700.
If the FX starts to look like it's been straightened out before the 9700 goes down and the pricetag stays around 400$
I'll go with the FX. The new ASUS v9900 looks it doesn't have the "dustbuster", in fact it looks to me from the picture on Asus' website that it has been engineered to accept a standard processor heasink/fan configuration reminiscent of a k6-2 processor. I could be wrong about this, as I am just going from the picture of the card, but it has my interest and I'll continue to follow up on it.

Twitch,man, Don't wait 5 1/2 years to get a card. 65 months is a long time, by then they'll be selling FX's as apartment heaters. :tongue:
The FX will NOT be the same price as the RD9700, unless Nvidia takes a bath on each card the way MS does for each Xbox (nothing in it for Nvidia, they don't own/license games). It may be the same price as an RD9800, but not a 9700, especially since the moment a REAL definable board hits Best Buy or even your local retail oem supply store ATI will drop the price of the 9700s.
The thing that will make my decision will be FireGl issues, but if I was going with a non proffesional card, I'd go with an All-in-Wonder, tiny extra in price, and great features I can turn into a media center (not MS)in a year or so.

The FX was too long a wait, not as impressive as expected, and even if the drivers get tweaked, it will come after the launch of the next ATI product. Nvidia spent to long getting the 5800s to market allowing ATI a cushion in their product cycles. Now ATI can perfect the 9800 (was it ready by X-mas?) before releasing it, and then spend longer building the R400 style , learning that NEAT technology that doesn't beat old technology (Nvidia didn't learn that from the Matrox Para) isn't 'cool', if it doesn't impress or create positive buzz it won't get money from those on the fence about one or the other mfr.
If I do upgrade my deskside utility machine for gaming (it runs Morrowind pretty good now), it'll have to be a killer app. (maybe D-III) that makes me start looking. Also depending on what I put in my fiddling-with-video/anim. box, I will likely get the comparable DX9 card that gives me the most flexibility, least drawback, for the best price. Right now an RD9500pro bought 9-12 months down the line seems like a likely candidate. Sorry folks not the same driving desire, Tribunal has my next 2-3 months for sure (and replay time for at least the next year) so no DRIVE to get rarefied silicon.
I still think the FX has a long way to get converts from off the fence, and right now many are going to ATI simply because their expectations and wait for the FX didn't pay dividends.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <font color=red>RED</font color=red> <font color=green>GREEN</font color=green> :tongue: GA to SK