KMW [SPOILERS] With love to Orpheus

For those of you who are still awake over there in the Northern
Hemisphere...

Here's three cards I like + 1 for Orpheus.

Orpheus first:

Glass Walker Pact
Unique Master
Requires: Giovanni
Cost: 2 pool
Put this card in play. During your untap phase, you may burn the top card
of your library to move a blood from any ready tapped vampire to a ready
Giovanni. If the card you burned is a master card, burn this card as well.
Burn this card if another Methuselah controls a werewolf.

Now for the three I liked:

Truth of a Thousand Lies
Action Modifier
Cost: 2 blood
ser: +2 bleed. After playing this card, you cannot play another action
modifier etc...
SER: Only usable at the end of a successful action. This vampire untaps.

Projectile
Combat
cel: Strike: 1R damage or make a ranged weapon strike. This strike cannot
be dodged.
CEL: As above, with an additional strike.

lastly my favourite:

Selective Silence:
Combat
Only usable on the first round of combat.
qui: Maneuver
QUI: Only usable before range is determined. This vampire burns 1 blood to
set the range for this round. Skip the etc...

Enjoy the pre-release America et al.

John

orpheus

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005

John Alston a écrit :
> For those of you who are still awake over there in the Northern
> Hemisphere...
>
> Here's three cards I like + 1 for Orpheus.

Gee, thanks ! So many necropeople being zombinice to me... :)

> Orpheus first:
>
> Glass Walker Pact
> Unique Master
> Requires: Giovanni
> Cost: 2 pool
> Put this card in play. During your untap phase, you may burn the top card
> of your library to move a blood from any ready tapped vampire to a ready
> Giovanni. If the card you burned is a master card, burn this card as well.
> Burn this card if another Methuselah controls a werewolf.
>
> Now for the three I liked:

I understand why this one wasn't in your list. Fun, but not really great
: 2 pool, not reduceable by Baldesar, 2 burn possibilities (one quite
possible) ; you'd have to mix it with some card to look at the top card
of your library (without re-ordering them...). Ot nor pack too many
other masters... All for the benefit of a few blood ! Would be good
without the "master" thing, very good without the pool cost (can always
fetch it back). As such, dunno, probably very cornercase. Well, thanks
anyway mate !

Would never have guessed by the title it was Gio...

> Truth of a Thousand Lies
> Action Modifier
> Cost: 2 blood
> ser: +2 bleed. After playing this card, you cannot play another action
> modifier etc...
> SER: Only usable at the end of a successful action. This vampire untaps.

Very nice. But... 2 BLOOD !! Better have the path out there.

> Projectile
> Combat
> cel: Strike: 1R damage or make a ranged weapon strike. This strike cannot
> be dodged.
> CEL: As above, with an additional strike.

Nice. Did the Cel Guns need more good cards ?

> lastly my favourite:
>
> Selective Silence:
> Combat
> Only usable on the first round of combat.
> qui: Maneuver
> QUI: Only usable before range is determined. This vampire burns 1 blood to
> set the range for this round. Skip the etc...

Like this one !! Now it looks like LR Assamites are rocking, at last !!

Thanks for that, John. Can't wait for the rest...
------------
Orpheus

Rob Treasure wrote:
> "salem" wrote
>
> > stuff i can remember from the starters, reprint wise:
>
> [snip other stuff]
>
> > Baali:
> > call the great beast
> > temptation
> > form of corruption
> > mylan horseed
> > [NO path of evil revs]

Apparently the FoS got another starter.

err, I found a talons of the dead in a !gangrel starter.
cheers
Alex Ek
Prince of Gothenburg

Content spoilers:

stuff i can remember from the starters, reprint wise:

!gangrel starter:
dreams
black spiral buddy
wolf companion :)
[NO abomination, the library card]

Baali:
call the great beast
temptation
form of corruption
mylan horseed
[NO path of evil revs]

Alastors:
slave auction (wooo..... :p)
disarm
alastor (gasp!)

Anathema:
Marcus (both versions. yippy frikken skippy)

it's been a long day, can't remember any more. sorry folks.

salem
http://www.users.tpg.com.au/adsltqna/VtES/index.htm
(replace "hotmail" with "yahoo" to email)

orpheus

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005

> stuff i can remember from the starters, reprint wise:

Question : are the starters balanced in terms of playability and of
rarity, this time ?
-----------
Orpheus, Necromonger

salem wrote:
> stuff i can remember from the starters, reprint wise:

I'd be most interested in hearing about the crypts, especially Baali and
!Gangrel. Is the Baali crypt group 2/3? And is the !Gangrel 50/50
City/Country or "utility" vamps that have disciplines from both subclans?

--CV

"salem" wrote

> stuff i can remember from the starters, reprint wise:

[snip other stuff]

> Baali:
> call the great beast
> temptation
> form of corruption
> mylan horseed
> [NO path of evil revs]

Wow, not a bad haul in that one.

Rob

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 21:29:06 +1100, salem
<salem_christ.geo@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Content spoilers:

I know you already said you don't remember any more, but would you
care if I try some yes-or-no names?

>stuff i can remember from the starters, reprint wise:
>
>!gangrel starter:
>dreams
>black spiral buddy
>wolf companion :)
>[NO abomination, the library card]

Shadow Court Satyr?
City Gangrel Connections?
Path of the Feral Heart, The?
Talons of the Dead?
Twisted Forest?
Adaptability?
Body Flare?
Flesh of Marble?
Mythic Form?

And what Inquisition does?

>Baali:
>call the great beast
>temptation
>form of corruption
>mylan horseed
>[NO path of evil revs]

Heart of Darkness? (I assume yes?)
Any Condemnation? (I assume no, all are Rare... Too many Rares
already)
Concordance?
Fear of the Void Below?

And what Book of Going Forth by Night does?

>Alastors:
>slave auction (wooo..... :p)
>disarm
>alastor (gasp!)

Blood Hunt?
Archon?
Anathema?

And what Powder of Rigidity does?

>Anathema:
>Marcus (both versions. yippy frikken skippy)

By what has been shared by John Alston, it contains Restricted Vitae.

Strained Vitae Supply?
Temptation of Greater Power?
Seal of Veddharta?
Fear of Mekhet?
Secure Haven?
some Jackets? (both)

And what Threestar Cab Company does?

>it's been a long day, can't remember any more. sorry folks.
>salem
>http://www.users.tpg.com.au/adsltqna/VtES/index.htm
>(replace "hotmail" with "yahoo" to email)

I'm still too curious about crypts :p

Sorry for the insistence... We're still one week ahead from our
pre-release events :)

best,

Fabio "Sooner" Macedo
V:TES National Coordinator for Brazil
Giovanni Clan Newsletter Editor
V:tES Brasil Site (only in Portuguese for now)
http://planeta.terra.com.br/lazer/vtesbrasil/

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 13:28:40 +0200, The Cadaverous Verger
<cadaverous.verger@REMOVETHISpriest.com> wrote:

>salem wrote:
>> stuff i can remember from the starters, reprint wise:
>
>I'd be most interested in hearing about the crypts, especially Baali and
>!Gangrel. Is the Baali crypt group 2/3? And is the !Gangrel 50/50
>City/Country or "utility" vamps that have disciplines from both subclans?
>--CV

Since the !Gangrel starter is said to contain Wolf Companion, I'd risk
saying that if it's not Country Gangrel, it has at least a few
vampires of that side. Most g3 "utility" vamps do not have [ani]. The
exception is Jalan-Aajav.

"Orpheus" <orpheus.13@DEADfree.fr> wrote in message
>> stuff i can remember from the starters, reprint wise:
>
> Question : are the starters balanced in terms of playability and of
> rarity, this time ?
> -----------
> Orpheus, Necromonger

DO NOT READ IF YOU WANT A FUN DAY...

IMO

Gangrel Anti owned.

I played them as did two other players (Dom and another guy whose name I
don't know). Dom and I were predator/prey in both preliminary games. Dom
got GW + 4 VPs (I think) in the first. I got GW + 3 VPs in the second.
Finals placings were determined by highest of each deck. In the finals the
Baali took a quick VP due to his prey (Anathema I think) plying restricted
vitae and then bringing up Rabbat. You'll realise tomorrow how bad that is.
By that stage I had my prey (Alastor) under control but was a bit worried
about the Baali (predator). I made a deal with Dom to help him take out the
Baali (his prey) in return for a draw and a division of the 1st and 2nd
przes basically because I was sick of Gangrel vs Gangrel. He took the Baali
and then I took the Alastor and we kept the deal to withdraw.

The Ganrel anti deck seems to be well built. Sufficient rush and very few
stupid action cards.

I'm very happy about the Temptation in the Baali deck though and would play
them tomorrow just for that if I had the choice. (I wasn't unhappy to get
an additional dreams today either).

BTW only ten players today. I'll be interested to see if more variety makes
a difference.

John

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005, Gregory Stuart Pettigrew wrote:

>> And what Inquisition does?
>>

> The short version: It nukes Bishops.
>
> Inquisition, Action
> Requires a ready Sabbat vampire. +1 stealth action.
> (D) Choose one or more bishops. Each of the chosen bishops loses his or
> her title and takes 2 unpreventable damage. The controllers of the chosen
> bishops may attempt to block in addition to the normall eligible blockers.

This card is so great. I keep getting beat up by these super-strong
bishop decks. Nothing worse than a dedicated bishop deck. Like everybody
in the deck has a vote. With this card I can really turn the tables!

Great art on the card, too. A guy in a red robe with a red hood is
cheered on by his friends as he defenestrates a surprised-looking fellow
in a green sport coat and slacks. Take that, ya bishop!

Seriously, it's nice that this flavor card is fixed and I won't be opening
any starters to see it in the rare slot. What do you think it would be a
good proxy for?

Matt Morgan

> Since the !Gangrel starter is said to contain Wolf Companion, I'd risk
> saying that if it's not Country Gangrel, it has at least a few
> vampires of that side. Most g3 "utility" vamps do not have [ani]. The
> exception is Jalan-Aajav.

The !Gangrel Starter has Owl Companion, Raven Spy, and Wolf Companion as
its only ani cards. Force of Will, Soak x2, and Superior Mettle x3 are its
only for cards. It is very much a City Gangrel deck, with a few
outferiors.

> Shadow Court Satyr?
> Twisted Forest?
> Adaptability?
> Body Flare?
> Mythic Form?

No. All others yes.

> And what Inquisition does?

The short version: It nukes Bishops.

Inquisition, Action
Requires a ready Sabbat vampire. +1 stealth action.
(D) Choose one or more bishops. Each of the chosen bishops loses his or
her title and takes 2 unpreventable damage. The controllers of the chosen
bishops may attempt to block in addition to the normall eligible blockers.

I think the last sentence is supposed to mean "Everyone player affected
gets to attempt to block."

> >Baali:
> >[NO path of evil revs]
> Any Condemnation? (I assume no, all are Rare... Too many Rares
> already)
> Concordance?

No. All others yes.

> And what Book of Going Forth by Night does?

It gives SER and some other stuff. Didn't see it in play.

> >Alastors:
> Blood Hunt?
> Archon?
> Anathema?

These were probably in but did not see play.

> And what Powder of Rigidity does?

Just what we suspected, it hoses pro, vic, and werewolves.

> >Anathema:
> >Marcus (both versions. yippy frikken skippy)

Can't say.

> By what has been shared by John Alston, it contains Restricted Vitae.

Correct.

> Strained Vitae Supply?
> Temptation of Greater Power?
> Seal of Veddharta?
> Fear of Mekhet?
> Secure Haven?
> some Jackets? (both)

Unknown.

> And what Threestar Cab Company does?

It's a Clanless hunting ground that works every other turn.

Master: unique location. Hunting ground.
During your master phase, you may tap it to put a blood on it from the
blood bank. During your untap phase, you may tap it to put a blood from it
onto one of your minions.

pat

Expert

"Gregory Stuart Pettigrew" <etherial@sidehack.sat.gweep.net> wrote in
message news:20050219224252.P49919@sidehack.sat.gweep.net...
>> Since the !Gangrel starter is said to contain Wolf Companion, I'd risk
>> saying that if it's not Country Gangrel, it has at least a few
>> vampires of that side. Most g3 "utility" vamps do not have [ani]. The
>> exception is Jalan-Aajav.
>>

> The !Gangrel Starter has Owl Companion, Raven Spy, and Wolf Companion as
> its only ani cards. Force of Will, Soak x2, and Superior Mettle x3 are its
> only for cards. It is very much a City Gangrel deck, with a few
> outferiors.

But if you draft Pack Alpha, which became known as Dog in My Pants during
the Baltimore pre-release, those three animal companions become very nasty
with Enkidu. Enkidu with a Dog in His Pants becomes a +3 strength minion!

Pack Alpha [Dog in My Pants]
Combat
No cost
Animalism
A vampire may play only one Pack Alpha each round.
[ani] Employ an animal retainer from your hand before range is determined.
Pay cost as normal.
(Cailean doesn't have to waste an employ action for his raptors!)
[ANI] Burn an animal retainer employed by this vampire and put this card on
this vampire. The minion with this card gets +1 strength. A minion may have
only one Pack Alpha.

A couple other hot cards for !Gangrel:

Leathery Hide
Combat
No cost
Requires !Gangrel
A vampire may play one one Leathery Hide each round.
Prevent 4 non-aggravated damage from the opposing minion's strike.

Sonar
Reaction
No cost
Requires Protean
Do not replace until the end of the current turn
[pro] +1 intercept only usable against a (D) action
[PRO] +1 intercept
"O dark dark dark. They all go into the dark."
T.S. Eliot, "East Coker"

(Full marks for TSE flavor text!)

In Baltimore, we had 14 and played 2+F. I got the only GW with the !Gangrel
in the first round, ousting my Baali prey and Alastor grandprey. I walled up
and got 0.5 VP in second round.
An Alastor (Vinnie) and an Anathema (Pete) each got 4 VP & GW to come in
first & second after the second round. I was third. An anathema deck (Steve)
was 4, and a Baali (Josh) was 5.

Seating was

Me (Pat, !Gangrel) 2.5 GP, 1 GW
Josh (Baali) 1.5 (I think), 0 GW
Pete (Anathema), 4, 1
Vinnie (Alastor) 4, 1
Mike (Anathema) 1.5 (?), 0

Steve had to leave, so the 6th place Anathema deck (Mike) stepped into the
final.

Baali went forward hard, Alastor went forward as hard as possible with that
deck, I largely walled up again. Burned Josh's +1 bleed 6-cap setite and
Maureen (4-agg from Enkidu and the dog in his pants).
Torporized and diablerized Mike's Mata Hari & Count Germaine. Survived first
diablerie with Trophy: Diablerie on Enkidu, survived second diablerie with
Jesus for some unknown reason.

Pete called enough bloating votes to survive the sneak-bleed onslaught. Mike
had me down to 2 pool, but I recovered with Dreams transfers.

Other random comments:

- Second Lasombra's comment about the Shy art... I don't hate him as much as
some, but the break is definitely welcome. There is some excellent art in
this set!

- Best reprint: Dreams in Anathema & !Gangrel

- Biggest disappointment was the !Gangrel precon only card:
Inquisition
Action
No clan/discipline requirements
No cost
Requires a ready Sabbat vampire. +1 stealth action.
(D) Choose one or more bishops. Each of the chosen bishops loses his or her
title and takes 2 unpreventable damage. The controllers of the chose bishops
may attemtp to block in addition to the normally eligible blockers. (The art
is a Spanish Inquisition guy throwing a bishop out a window... full marks
for the art, at least!)

All in all, it seems to be a GREAT set. Congrats to LSJ & WW and thanks to
Dan Coleman & the D.C. / Baltimore gang for a great pre-release!

- Pat

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 17:25:00 -0300, "Fabio \"Sooner\""
<fabio_sooner@NOSPAMterra.com.br> scrawled:

go go magic brain powers...

>>stuff i can remember from the starters, reprint wise:
>>
>>!gangrel starter:
>>dreams
>>black spiral buddy
>>wolf companion :)
>>[NO abomination, the library card]
>
>Shadow Court Satyr?

no

>City Gangrel Connections?

yes

>Path of the Feral Heart, The?

maybe

>Talons of the Dead?

no

>Twisted Forest?

no

>Adaptability?

no

>Body Flare?

no

>Flesh of Marble?

yes, x2

>Mythic Form?

no

>And what Inquisition does?

hoses bishops. well, from the picture, throws them out windows.

>>Baali:
>>call the great beast
>>temptation
>>form of corruption
>>mylan horseed
>>[NO path of evil revs]
>
>Heart of Darkness? (I assume yes?)

umm...didn't see it, but i assume yes too.

>Any Condemnation? (I assume no, all are Rare... Too many Rares
>already)

no

>Concordance?

yes

>Fear of the Void Below?

not that i saw.

>And what Book of Going Forth by Night does?

Superior serpentis, and if you burn an ally in combat you get the ally
(alive). i'll leave specific card text for you to read when you have
your own prerelease.

>>Alastors:
>>slave auction (wooo..... :p)
>>disarm
>>alastor (gasp!)
>
>Blood Hunt?

no

>Archon?

yes.

>Anathema?

yes, at least 2

>And what Powder of Rigidity does?

equipment. burn in combat to stop opposing minion using vic or pro, or
opposing werewolf gets -2 strength i think. the art has a vial of
liquid. i had to make up some story about the liquid having the powder
dissolved in it to keep people happy...

>>Anathema:
>>Marcus (both versions. yippy frikken skippy)
>
>By what has been shared by John Alston, it contains Restricted Vitae.

um. yeah. and society of leopold, too.

>Strained Vitae Supply?
>Temptation of Greater Power?
>Seal of Veddharta?
>Fear of Mekhet?

no to all of them. the temptation of greater power might have fit in
the alastor starter, since it has 5 justicars in the crypt, but it
wasn't in that one either.

>Secure Haven?

maybe

>some Jackets? (both)

not that i saw.

>And what Threestar Cab Company does?

3 pool 'hunting ground'. doesn't work like a standard hunting ground.
tap during master phase to put a counter on it. tap during untap phase
to move counter off it to pool or to a vampire you control.

>I'm still too curious about crypts :p

alastor has jaroslav, madame guil, anasdazi (i can't spell, sorry),
lucinde, lucas, muhsin.

!gang has enkidu, skryta, ..umm...

baali is g3/4. does not contain all the new baali from the set.

anathema is ...i just wasn't paying much attention to it, despite
sitting next to it every round, i think..

"John Alston" <jrandco@internode.on.net> wrote in message
> Projectile
> Combat
> cel: Strike: 1R damage or make a ranged weapon strike. This strike cannot
> be dodged.
> CEL: As above, with an additional strike.

Ooh, ooh, OOH!!!!

Now, when is "Vomit" going to printed as a ranged weapon equipment card?!?

I *SOOOOOO* want to Projectile Vomit!!!

Fred