Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Any 600m or 700m laptop owners here?

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
December 8, 2004 12:15:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Im thinking abt buying a laptop

Thinking abt the 600 m or 700 m

Anyone have some advice or real life experience with
either model?

They are both pretty pricey
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 8, 2004 7:34:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

<me@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:ki6er09kq2u6invfjda8a3fbdpfh8lg7ol@4ax.com...
> Im thinking abt buying a laptop
>
> Thinking abt the 600 m or 700 m
>
> Anyone have some advice or real life experience with
> either model?
>
> They are both pretty pricey

I have a 700m and am very happy with it. I wouldn't recommend it as a
primary computer because of the small screen and keyboard, but it works well
as a small portable to be used away from home. It's very small and light,
and the build quality is quite good, better than the 600m IMO.
December 8, 2004 7:34:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

>I have a 700m and am very happy with it. I wouldn't recommend it as a
>primary computer because of the small screen and keyboard, but it works well
>as a small portable to be used away from home. It's very small and light,
>and the build quality is quite good, better than the 600m IMO.

Hmmm..... OK

I WAS gonna use it as a primary machine..... glad you
brought that up.

So what would your recommend as a sort of desktop
replacement for a student? Something to use at home
on the desk..... but can also go to the coffee shop as
well?

I thought the 600m or 700m were perfect for the above
usage. No?
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 9, 2004 6:03:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

<me@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:19ler0hosnpqp8equ8ccpbp14msg4ckmbm@4ax.com...
> >I have a 700m and am very happy with it. I wouldn't recommend it as a
>>primary computer because of the small screen and keyboard, but it works
>>well
>>as a small portable to be used away from home. It's very small and light,
>>and the build quality is quite good, better than the 600m IMO.
>
> Hmmm..... OK
>
> I WAS gonna use it as a primary machine..... glad you
> brought that up.
>
> So what would your recommend as a sort of desktop
> replacement for a student? Something to use at home
> on the desk..... but can also go to the coffee shop as
> well?
>
> I thought the 600m or 700m were perfect for the above
> usage. No?

Hmm... a desktop replacment the 700m is not. The major things that would
prevent me from using it as a primary machine are the smallish screen
(12.1"), the 90%-size keyboard, and the use of integrated video. As a
student, you will probably want to play some 3D games on your machine, and
the 700m's integrated video makes it pretty slow for games.

The 600m is probably a good choice for your situation. It is relatively
light (~5 lbs), has a larger screen (14.1"), and has a decent video card
(Mobility Radeon 9000).

You might also want to look at the Inspiron 9200 for a true desktop
replacement. It is quite heavy at ~8 lbs., but it has a big 17" widescreen
display and a nice design.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 9, 2004 7:54:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I have the 600m and love it. I've used a 700m as well and it's an excellent
machine but I also wouldn't want to use it as a primary machine because of
the smaller keyboard and screen. It is very portable however and light
which I love. The 600m is a compromise between being portable and being an
at home machine. I use it for about 70% at a desk at home and 30% around
town and at work and it's not too heavy to carry around. If you just want a
laptop that you don't plan to move much then I'd also look at the larger and
heavier inspirons as suggested.


"Eddie Aftandilian" <aftandilian@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:qgPtd.226651$R05.104082@attbi_s53...
> <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> news:19ler0hosnpqp8equ8ccpbp14msg4ckmbm@4ax.com...
>> >I have a 700m and am very happy with it. I wouldn't recommend it as a
>>>primary computer because of the small screen and keyboard, but it works
>>>well
>>>as a small portable to be used away from home. It's very small and
>>>light,
>>>and the build quality is quite good, better than the 600m IMO.
>>
>> Hmmm..... OK
>>
>> I WAS gonna use it as a primary machine..... glad you
>> brought that up.
>>
>> So what would your recommend as a sort of desktop
>> replacement for a student? Something to use at home
>> on the desk..... but can also go to the coffee shop as
>> well?
>>
>> I thought the 600m or 700m were perfect for the above
>> usage. No?
>
> Hmm... a desktop replacment the 700m is not. The major things that would
> prevent me from using it as a primary machine are the smallish screen
> (12.1"), the 90%-size keyboard, and the use of integrated video. As a
> student, you will probably want to play some 3D games on your machine, and
> the 700m's integrated video makes it pretty slow for games.
>
> The 600m is probably a good choice for your situation. It is relatively
> light (~5 lbs), has a larger screen (14.1"), and has a decent video card
> (Mobility Radeon 9000).
>
> You might also want to look at the Inspiron 9200 for a true desktop
> replacement. It is quite heavy at ~8 lbs., but it has a big 17"
> widescreen display and a nice design.
>
>
December 9, 2004 12:19:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

>The 600m is probably a good choice for your situation. It is relatively
>light (~5 lbs), has a larger screen (14.1"), and has a decent video card
>(Mobility Radeon 9000).

Hmm... yes that does sound like a better fit for me

>You might also want to look at the Inspiron 9200 for a true desktop
>replacement. It is quite heavy at ~8 lbs., but it has a big 17" widescreen
>display and a nice design.

Will look into this unit as well
December 9, 2004 12:21:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

>The 600m is a compromise between being portable and being an
>at home machine. I use it for about 70% at a desk at home and 30% around
>town and at work and it's not too heavy to carry around. If you just want a
>laptop that you don't plan to move much then I'd also look at the larger and
>heavier inspirons as suggested.

Thanks for advice!

Sounds like the 600m might do me.....as your usage
sounds like my intended usage pattern.

But I will look at the Inspirons too.

Any other brands of laptops I should look at that are
similar to 600m in design?

Anything from say Toshiba? Other companies?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 9, 2004 5:22:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

me,
I not that impressed with Toshiba, if not a Dell I'd look at IBM. IMHO
Paul

<me@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:D 8rgr0loku323asq5vc4f9ih0hg0evli6g@4ax.com...
snipped
>
> Anything from say Toshiba? Other companies?
!