Another Inquirer FX headline....cool stuff

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
This story basically says that the FX will not utilize 8 rendering piplines unless a game has been almost specifically coded for it. Under game titles being played today...and likely tomarrow...only 4 pipelines are utilized, which the inquirer says, makes it only half as powerful as the R9700Pro.<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=7920" target="_new">http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=7920</A>

AMD Athlon "ThunderBird" 1.2Ghz/ECSK7S5A/BBA Radeon8500LE 290-301Mhz/256DDR 2100/Maxtor40Gigger/PhillipsSurround/Vantec digital display/Enermax Lan case with blue cathodes and fans.

eden

Champion
Very 'most' interesting!

In a way, it is a promising discussion, but in the bad way, it also shows why I am saying that nVidia's forced architecture, will not help them, when no one wants to code many times for different cards.
They really should revise their architecture, make 8 pipes with 1 or 2 TMUs, and then have their technology use it. This way you guarantee standard and optimized performance to be up there.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Hmm,perhaps they got too aroggant. let's see how programmers respond (after all, many will go nv so they <i>do</i> need to cater to that portion if they want to make more moola). Ah, I love italics:)

Hilbert space is a big place.

edurm

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2002
I read that article and is explicited there:

"Only color+Z rendering is done at 4 pixels per clock"

and there's also:

"We talked with many developers and they said me that all games these days use Color + Z rendering"

and ...

The bottom line is that when it comes to Color + Z rendering, the GeForce FX is only half as powerful as the older Radeon 9700.

after that, all I can do is sit on my desktop chair and LOL

dhlucke

Polypheme
Fanboy....your card sucks...

I'm waiting for the people who own one to come and complain here. It's your responsability to help every single one of them out.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">If you were to have sex with your clone would that be considered incest or masturbation?</A></font color=red>

eden

Champion
(after all, many will go nv so they do need to cater to that portion if they want to make more moola).
?
Oh really?
The latest sales figure, since December show that ATi has finally begun selling MUCH more cards, and that figure will and seems to stay stable due to the fact geForce FX is NOT well accepted.
Programmers will get it in their face if they only go NV.
Think about it, even Carmack has done nothing but say better things on the R300 compared to the FX, and nVidia being less and less credible lately, with a MAJOR market audience of enthusiasts, is not helping them. Conclusion is that your previous statement is becoming less and less agreeable on. Time to move on, ATi has sung the last note, now the audience claps and remembers them.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile: