mattburklund

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2002
I have a ati 9500 pro, I get wavy lines that seem to scroll down the screen most of the time, it seems to be mainly in 2d applications. It is still returnable to the store. Is it a driver issue, a setting issue, or a faulty card?

speeduk

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
Wavy lines on screen....reminds me of my old monitor! Check another card just to make sure its not the monitor on its way out, or maybe just a loose cable ?

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
I have exactly the same problem with my connect3d 9500 pro.I rma'd one but the new one had the same problem so it isn't the card i'm afraid.It's not the drivers either as i have tried numerous different catalyst drivers and drivers for nforce 2 directx.It isn't the monitor either coz it's fine with other cards.What is your full spec?Perhaps between us we can work out whether it is a compatibility issue.
My spec is:
Abit NF7-S
XP 2400 @ 166X13
2X256mb pc2700 cl2
Connect3d radeon 9500 pro w/ catalyst 3.1 @ agp 8x
running it at 1024X768 @ 85Hz on Samsung SM753s
Directx 9
350W generic psu
no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ad_rach on 02/23/03 12:20 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

CorpusBiscuit

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2002
What kind of 2D apps? I've read somewhere that some of the newer graphics cards don't do all that well with 2D games. If I remember correctly, it has something to do with the way they're optimized for 3D. Then again I'm no expert or anywhere close so I could be way off.

mattburklund

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2002
basically anything, If I am surfing the web or playing a game. It is moody though some times Get the lines sometimes I dont, for example right now as I am typing this I dont, but I just turned on Jedi knight and I got some lines, the lines were more noticable as the game was loading, and then during game play it seemed a little harder to tell, but there.

Squints

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2001
I have a 9500pro also and had the same thing. I just changed the refresh rate to 72hz and it went away. I think it depends on what components you have in your system that causes the EMI.

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
Mine does it at exactly the same times.I notice that as squints says, it does seem to go away at lower refresh rates but i haven't tested for longer than a couple of minutes.Besides, we should be able to use 85Hz as i could with my old tnt2 and 9000.Also, i am so used to 85Hz now, my eyes can't handle lower refresh rates for too long and i spend ages in front of my monitor.I thought it could be a power issue, especially as we both have generic (?) 350w psus.It doesn't make much sense that it should do it more in 2d mode as 3d must use more power but maybe it's just that we don't notice it in games much because there are not often any flat colours to see it against and you are concentrating on other things.What do you reckon?

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
The monitor is only 6 months old and it supports that resolution/frequency and does it fine with any other card in there.

Squints

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2001
Well i didnt mean that lowering the refresh rate fixes it. When I had a different power supply in there it had no wavy lines on 85hz and it DID have wavy lines on 72hz. With the power supply I'm using now its the other way around.

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
I see.It's all very strange and nothing seems to fit because, for example, mine isn't doing it at the moment but it may well do it at any moment.I would get a new psu but i can't be sure that that's the problem.Maybe i will treat myself to a Qtec 550w for a mere £20 just for the hell of it.

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
Please do let me know if the 430w works coz i will get a new psu if it does.Be sure to test it for a while though, coz mine isn't doing it at the moment and sometimes it doesn't for a good while.

Squints

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2001
It can also be other components causing it too, not just the power supply. Oh and there is a setting in the motherboard Bios called "spread spectrum", I read it's to stop spikes in voltage (? or something) that causes EMI.

RobD

Champion
I had similar probs with my 8500 pro. Every so often, maybe about every 2 weeks, BANG, here have some lines all over your screen, and hey, how about some bizarre shapes!

I tried everything! TWICE. Anyway, 'bout 6 weeks ago I replaced my shitty 300w generic PSU with a rather splendid Antec TruePower 480, as I upgraded some components and though it was a good time to get rid. As a by-product of the PSU upgrade, the problem has decided to f*@k off. I've never gone this long without the prob. Seems to have worked for me. Maybe this'll give you hope!

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
Thanks for the info.Maybe i will get a new psu then.I would need to get one in the long run anyway so it's no bad thing even if it didn't fix the problem.

TRENDING THREADS