Radeon vs. Geforce

amdforce

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2003
I have no AGP slot in my computer (please do not criticize, for I am building a new computer some time this summer.) But for now I think I am going to need a PCI replacement. I was wondering which would be better, the GeForce4 MX 420 or the radeon 7500. I know they both are equiped with 64MB RAM, but the radeon's is DDR.(not sure if the 7500 is a 128bit memory bus, thinling it is 64bit.) I do have a Geforce 4 MX420 now but Ithink I am going to have to replace it because, for instance, I switched memory banks with the ram chips and after that the GF will not display any image and have to switch to integrated S3:( This has happened once before when I switched hard drives(both had run this card previously) but when I switched back to the main hard drive it wouldn't display any image, but with some tinkering I got it to work, just can't remember how) So I am thinking of replacing it and I want the better of the two for the games I do run. Like, MOHAA, Deus Ex, Unreal Tournament, Giants, and a few others. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

rook

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Jusy my opinion, but I wouldn't spend the money now on a PCI video card, cuz when you upgrade you'll want an AGP card. If you have any video now, even integrated S3, I'd tough it out for a few months till you can afford a new MB as well. If you are like me and don't have a lot of cash either one of those cards is gonna run 50-70 ( if I remember, haven't looked for either of those too much) that is just going to be wasted when you upgrade. Unless you plan on usin a PCI card when an AGP slot is available.

"Quotes are for people that can't think for themselves"

amdforce

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2003
It will probably be late this summer, before i am able to build the next one(have to fix car-fix body and paint it). I will have to use it in the future computer for some time till I can save more mney to get a good video card like radeon 9700Pro-so it will be quite a while, before I get the new AGP graphics card. Any specs for the 7500?

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The Radeon 9000 is the fastest PCI card you can buy - and the only which is DX 8.1 compliant.

Here's some benchies of the AIW 7500 PCI - A regular 7500 PCI shouldn't be much different: <A HREF="http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDE4LDU=" target="_new">http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDE4LDU=</A>

Here's a 9000 PCI review - the graphs are universal but you may need babelfish for the text: <A HREF="http://www.jathardware.com/arvostelut/2002/radeon9000pci/" target="_new">http://www.jathardware.com/arvostelut/2002/radeon9000pci/</A>

*Dual PIII-800 @900 i440BX and Tualeron 1.2 @1.74 i815*<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by JCLW on 02/23/03 07:14 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
No no no! he needs a GF FX or R9700 pro PCI version! This is hilarious, never thought I'd see people arguing over this. PCI limits bandwith way too much (hell, my <b>hard drive array</b> is limited by PCI!). A gf2 class card is gonna give top performance, just dun expect to run D3.

Hilbert space is a big place.

Out of your choices, go with the 7500. And yes it should have 128-bit memory. I wouldn't spend too much on either. Have you thought of Ebay or a Comp. Surplus store?
I will not try to disuade you from PCI, you seem to know why you want to go that (admittedly 2nd best) route.
One saving grace, is that it will make a great card to add multi-monitor support to your system. You could also just have 2 gigantic 21"+ monitors running excel at 2048x1536 too. Hey 3rd monitor for clock, cool! :cool:
But remember it won't let you do 3 window gaming, unlike the Matrox Para. But at least it might have some use, other than selling it.
Go with whatever's cheaper and will run whatever you are playing now at the best frames you need. Save the difference for features on you next machine. The 7500 may be faster but is the diff. worth the price diff to you?

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <font color=red>RED</font color=red> <font color=green>GREEN</font color=green> :tongue: GA to SK

RobD

Champion
As the Great Ape(LOL! Love it!) has said, I'd go with the cheapest, as all round performance ain't gonna be great, but it seems that isn't a concern. <b>PLUS</b>, like the man said, when you do get a new AGP card... <b>DUAL MONITORS!</b>. Don't really do much, but they look damn fine on the desk!

Seriously, go cheap and cheerful. It's your best bet!

amdforce

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2003
Does anyone have a thought as to why,with the addition of an extra ram moduel would cause the video card just to black out? It has done this before when swaping hard drives(one has xp(40 GB) and the other ME(60GB). I just don't know how it began working again.(if need more info about my computer let me know.

TRENDING THREADS